PDA

View Full Version : Im in love: The Atom

danthegeek
07-12-2007, 06:08 AM
Im sure this i old news to some but I really want this car and is it legal in the U.S. ?

The Atom (http://youtube.com/watch?v=WaWoo82zNUA&mode=related&search=)

Eclecticos
07-12-2007, 06:23 AM
0-60 in 2.88Secs . .Faster than the Ferrari Enzo!

http://img490.imageshack.us/img490/3718/arielatom2clarksonct6.jpg

Price Tag = $46,000 -=> Website (http://www.arielmotor.co.uk/)

AJ@PR
07-12-2007, 06:45 AM
is it legal in the U.S. ?
A very round and nicely packaged;

No.

Fun though.

calumc
07-12-2007, 06:48 AM
I saw that when it was on top gear, I WANT IT TO!!!!!!!

Whyisnt it legal in the us? its legal all over europe as far as i know

Omega
07-12-2007, 06:51 AM
I saw that when it was on top gear, I WANT IT TO!!!!!!!

Whyisnt it legal in the us? its legal all over europe as far as i know

Europe =/= The US

The US has some pretty bitchy standards and stuff (either that or America's just bitchy because Europe gets the good cars) =/

AJ@PR
07-12-2007, 06:52 AM
Whyisnt it legal in the us?
Well, basically, because

its legal all over europe as far as i know

That's the jist of it.

The other reason, is that the US likes something resembling safety for its citizens on the road.
That Atom, != safe.

Very fun though!

Omega
07-12-2007, 06:59 AM
The other reason, is that the US likes something resembling safety for its citizens on the road.
That Atom, != safe.

Very fun though!

I'd think the Atom is pretty safe, I mean, I doubt you can roll that thing over because it's so low =/

AJ@PR
07-12-2007, 07:07 AM
I'd think the Atom is pretty safe, I mean, I doubt you can roll that thing over because it's so low =/

I think rolling over is one of your lesser concerns.
Positioned somewhere between dodging birds from hiting your head, and actively avoiding getting 3rd degree burns from the hot side exhaust of a V8 twin turbo diesel truck to your left.

That's just me.
I find it really unsafe.
I would drive it though... on a Sunday.

Ironically, I'm thinking about it, and the lightness and nimbleness of the car adds to its safety.
You can stop faster, look quicker over your shoulder (awarenes), you can accelerate out of danger faster, you can steer/move much quicker.

But still... too many morons on the road man, IMO.

How many LEDs do you reckon we would attach to that nice tubular frame?

Eclecticos
07-12-2007, 07:47 AM
Another Video. . "Warning" Crappy Music :)
FzhRaXKolkc

GT40_GearHead
07-12-2007, 08:55 AM
the Atom eh... two word i have to say

****ING AWESOME !

AJ@PR
07-12-2007, 09:02 AM
I just came into the office, and watched the video.

I stand corrected.

I see a bucket seat in it.
It's safe enough.

calumc
07-12-2007, 09:51 AM
if you want to know unsafe, i am 16 and am perfectly legal to drive this:
http://members.lycos.nl/lieuwe84/hpbimg/3220main1.JPG
it will do 50mph, can pull a jumbo jet and will easily drive over a car. And i didnt even have to do a test!

danthegeek
07-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Screw the U.S. governments laws for automobiles and safety. If I cant have an Atom in the U.S. then Im moving to Europe. :D WHO IS WITH ME?

Luke122
07-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Yes it's hot, Yes I want one. Is it street legal? It's questionable.. I've submitted a request for info about licensing it in US and Canada for street use, and I'm waiting on the reply.

If you guys are interested, www.halerconcepts.com (and many others actually) offer a car called a "Locost". It's basically a scratch built car using donor parts, and there are LOADS of variants out there. It's based on the Lotus 7 car of the 60's, and since it's roughly the same weight (pretty close.. depending on spec) as the Atom it's pretty close in performance.

People are putting rotary engines from Rx7's and Rx8's in them, Supercharged/turbocharged bike engines (from 929's, up to 1300 Hayabusa Engines), 4cyls, v6's, and even v8's.

I've been reading about the bike engined ones the most lately, as they are the lightest version. A Turbocharged hayabusa bike engine in one of these cars will do 0-60 in 4sec flat, and top out around 150mph. Did I mention they sit waaaaay lower than an atom? :D
http://www.locost.co.za/Zwartkops/3Stage_20060603/Locost%20Position.jpg

danthegeek
07-12-2007, 10:47 AM
They may sit lower but the Atom looks nicer.

Luke122
07-12-2007, 10:51 AM
I completely disagree. :)

I should also mention that this one has a racing roll bar on it.. and most dont. They look better without. I'll link some more pics...

Luke122
07-12-2007, 10:55 AM
http://www.adelgigs.com/car.jpg

Sexy.

Also.....
Supercharged V6 Powered Tube Frame Goodness
(http://www.angelfire.com/biz6/stalkerv6/)

Omega
07-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Have you ever stood next to an atom? (I have). They're really, really low. I could step over the side easily and slide down into the driver seat (like I've done with my dad's Porsche 914 when the window was rolled down :D).

AJ@PR
07-12-2007, 02:41 PM
my dad's Porsche 914
Oooooohhh!!!

N.I.C.E. vehicle!

Very nice!

+rep to your dad!

b4i7
07-12-2007, 03:25 PM
i think i may have found me a new project :D

Omega
07-12-2007, 03:26 PM
Oooooohhh!!!

N.I.C.E. vehicle!

Very nice!

+rep to your dad!

It's a beater though (and when it runs, a quick beater). He's got a '74 2.0L 914. We think either the transaxle or the transmission linkage is broken/disconnected.

I'll just say this, though.

I got to drive it one day, out on a windy-ish country road near our area. I (unintentionally) launched from the stop sign, almost hit a sign on the opposite side of the road, and I was doing 40mph in first gear before I realized what was going on. After I pointed the car back on the road properly, I shifted to second and took off (did that on purpose). I was doing about 65 in a 45. That was pretty fun. Had the top off and everything (since the top doesn't come down and back like most, but you take it off and put it in the trunk).

OvRiDe
07-13-2007, 11:01 PM
Here is a quote from Edmunds..

Available in America
The Ariel — the name harks back to an old British motorcycle manufacturer — is priced from £19,922 ($37,350), but our road-legal test car would trouble the checkbook to the tune of £26,244 ($49,202). It would be easy to spend more than £35,000 ($65,000) on a 300-hp car. Most cars are sold in Britain but Saunders has already shipped rolling chassis to customers in California, Texas and Washington and is "close to signing a deal to export the car to the U.S. market."

Complete Article (http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=105504)

The only thing I can see that would make it questionable on the street legality of it would be its lack of Bumpers.

GT40_GearHead
07-14-2007, 03:38 PM
there is one more thing...

almost no protection in case of an side impact ! and as much as i like this thing you have to agree that it is a good point

another issue is pedestrian protection, you would make mince meat of anyone you would hit

calumc
07-14-2007, 06:13 PM
but despite all that it's perfectly legal here!!!!!!!

xRyokenx
07-15-2007, 12:06 AM
It's prolly not legal here due to lack of (insert car part here, something dumb to need), or the fact that it goes fast, we can have tanks that get twenty gallons per mile, but we can't get anything quick. Speaking of which, my uncle and I drove by some dude in a sports car looking thing that was really whiny and didn't move when he hit the gas, it was great. The light turned green and the car sounded like it was working really hard but it wasn't moving too quick, hee hee.

/OT

It probably doesn't meet up with US safety standards. They're installing "knee bars" (whatever in hell those are) in the SMARTs that are being imported. Too much leg room or something. Who knows.

Durrthock
07-15-2007, 09:06 AM
Lol Id still rather have an enzo or even better a 69 camaro with 1050hp and way too much torque. Simple fact cars like the bugatti and the enzo are show stoppers when you see them you freak out cause there so dam awesome. But that car is like a joke you wanna make a fast car who knows make a titanium carbon fibre body and drop in an enzo engine. Not saying I wouldn't take one but I would rather spend the extra few grand and get a corvette z06 that 44k was for the one without the upgrades I think

By the way I saw some pretty amazing cars while I was on vacation a Ferrari f430 Lamborghini mercaligo <---(not spelled right) And the big one was a Ferrari f40 or f50 didn't see close enough to tell but for those of you who are up on your Ferrari history the f40 and 50 came in the same line as the enzo.

Durrthock
07-15-2007, 09:12 AM
if you want to know unsafe, i am 16 and am perfectly legal to drive this:
http://members.lycos.nl/lieuwe84/hpbimg/3220main1.JPG
it will do 50mph, can pull a jumbo jet and will easily drive over a car. And i didnt even have to do a test!

You wanna know unsafe next year im 16 and perfectly legal to drive anything I can get my hands on minus bikes and planes and "some" tanks

progbuddy
07-15-2007, 10:26 AM
They make an American version of the Atom. The designs were bought by a similar company, and they replaced the supercharged Honda engine with a GM EcoTech turbocharged 4 cylinder, added a few things, and voila.

I'm working on a concept myself :p.

Kev.

Omega
07-15-2007, 11:40 AM
They make an American version of the Atom. The designs were bought by a similar company, and they replaced the supercharged Honda engine with a GM EcoTech turbocharged 4 cylinder, added a few things, and voila.

I'm working on a concept myself :p.

Kev.

Protip: The lower-end Atom engine is the GM EcoTec 4.
Protip: I know Wrightspeed has bought some rights to the Atom and is making an electric-powered supercar based off of the Atom frame. In fact, I saw a Wrightspeed at the Maker Faire.

Bucko
07-15-2007, 12:19 PM
Fun fact: In Australia I was working as a Mechanic when Holden released the Ecotech V6 in the Holden Commodore. It had an alloy sump that was porous and it actually leaked oil through the sump. It was quickly dubbed the Leak-o Tech within the trade.

Sakker
07-16-2007, 08:10 AM
You wanna know unsafe next year im 16 and perfectly legal to drive anything I can get my hands on minus bikes and planes and "some" tanks
You know whats funny, I'm 19 and its perfectly legal for me to drive just about anything, including airplanes and motorcycles (just got my bike endorsment, and am about 1 week away from pilots license).

BTW I love the atom, looked around, and that thing is amazing!!

Eclecticos
07-16-2007, 08:55 AM
Your seat behind the Wheel of the Ariel Atom!
Caution: Turn down your speakers. . its Louuddd!

BCzc8i9mF5c&NR=1

Luke122
07-16-2007, 10:42 AM
The company in the US who is importing/building/selling Atoms is "Brammo Motorsports". I get a monthly newsletter. :D

$44k for a Corvetter sounds like a deal compared to the $1million+ for an Enzo and nearly $2mil for a Veyron. However.. will I ever drive 200mph? I doubt it.

I'd rather spend $15k for a turnkey Locost with a Turbocharged Hayabusa engine, and get 0-60 in 4 sec, and 150mph top speed.

Ok, so maybe the Atom looks better than this locost.. (http://www.flyinmiata.com/projects/current_projects_flip.php?x=720)

I'd still rather have a Locost.

1050hp in a 69 Camaro.. sounds expensive, and hard on gas.

Oh, did I mention that a Turbo Hayabusa engine can still get 50+mpg when not being stomped on? :D

Bucko
07-16-2007, 12:14 PM
That's all very well, but I still prefer this for my speed fix:

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/2575/silverrhs1024is3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Mine is exactly the same colour too. 180hp, 180kg and a 300km/h (186mph) top speed and can reach 160km/h (100mph) in first gear.

Much more fun than a car!

calumc
07-16-2007, 01:25 PM
well in a few days i'm gonna be the proud owner of this speed machine!
http://imageprosport.com/bikes/images/High%20Spec%20Mini%20Moto%2049cc.jpg
49cc of 2-stroke power!

Omega
07-16-2007, 02:57 PM
Atoms can go around a track faster than any bike. Sorry. ;)

Airbozo
07-16-2007, 03:33 PM

That's fine (and depending on the driver not accurate), but how many people actually drive on a track?

My neighbor bought one of the _fast_ BMW cars (don't remember the model right now), we take the same path to work, and I still beat him on my lowly Harley. I spent less than $10k and he spent more than $60k. I get 45+mpg and he gets ~22mpg. After driving that car for 6 months he bought a Harley and says he has more fun driving to work (I still beat him since I know _every_ divot, bump and curve in that road).

Speed is cool and all, but unless you can really use it, it is just a waste of money and gas. I always smile when passing the $$ commute cars. Some of them are built for _sport_ performance and ride rough for commuting. I still am faster than any of them while in commute traffic on my 75hp v-twin.

AJ@PR
07-16-2007, 03:40 PM
...on my 75hp v-twin.

Just watch out for Calumc with his 49cc of 2-stroke power!!!

zzzzzzZZZZZZZZOOOOOOOoooooooo... .. . mmmm....

Luke122
07-16-2007, 04:46 PM

I dont think so.. I noticed that they put it up against a 600cc bike on Top Gear. What would a busa do? (1300cc) or an R1 (1000cc)? I bet they'd be faster.

Omega
07-16-2007, 04:52 PM
I dont think so.. I noticed that they put it up against a 600cc bike on Top Gear. What would a busa do? (1300cc) or an R1 (1000cc)? I bet they'd be faster.

Right, because 'Busa's and R1's aren't subjected to the same type of cornering you have to do on any bike to maintain speed?

It also depends on the track layout. Less technical tracks, chances are that the Busa or R1's taking it all. More technical tracks, the Atom. That thing really is bloody ****ing fast.

Redundant
07-16-2007, 05:24 PM
You know whats funny, I'm 19 and its perfectly legal for me to drive just about anything, including airplanes and motorcycles (just got my bike endorsment, and am about 1 week away from pilots license).

I am somewhat confident that I could fly a jumbo jet if I _had_ to (I.E. pilot incapacitated). I know where most of controls are (pitch, roll, yaw, engine power, flaps, etc.) so it wouldn't be _too_ difficult. :redface:

About motorcycles:
*driving fast*
*makes hard turn*
*bike tips over*
"OMG, where'd my leg go?!" :eek:
That is why I will never drive one.

Airbozo
07-16-2007, 06:06 PM

About motorcycles:
*driving fast*
*makes hard turn*
*bike tips over*
"OMG, where'd my leg go?!" :eek:
That is why I will never drive one.

More likely scenario;
Tooling down the motorway, come to an intersection and the old lady turns left in front of you and you are now planted in the passenger door.

Unless you are totally out of control or have absolutely no balance, it would not be easy to "tip" your bike over. (unless of course you were the guy in front of the brewery yesterday that forgot to turn the bike off while his wife was climbing off and he let the clutch out... Came this || close to tipping over a half dozen Harley's like domino's)

The physics of a 2 wheeled bike keep it balanced at speed without a rider's intervention.

Sakker
07-16-2007, 07:20 PM
I absolutely love bikes after i took the safety course, can't wait to get my harley. BTW, as a student pilot, and future commercial pilot, I know for a fact that currently I could not fly a 747 the things are immensely complicated. Jets are way out of league for me currently, would take a month plus training(thats after I get my B.S. in Aviation Flight Operations, which includes, PP, IFR, Multi, CML, CSL, and CFI*), and I would only be right seat (copilot) for the first 5-10 years. As I'm typing this I'm watching a jumbo jet fly overhead lol.

BTW, if you ever think about getting your motorcycle endorement (in the US atleast) take the state provided safety course, its a lot of fun, a decent amount of work (after driving 20 miles in a parking lot, spending like 8 hours a day on the bike its tiring). I learned a LOT from the course, even if I never get my endorsement, I feel that I learned some information that every driver should know. I feel that I am a safer driver because I know the basics of motorcycle operation, feel like I know what to expect from a motorcyclist now. and thats the end of my bike safety commercial :P

*Got to love the amount of acronyms in Aviation, could go on all day listing the VFR ones, not including the IFR.

xRyokenx
07-16-2007, 07:33 PM
There are many things that car drivers should know that they don't, such as bike signals, I have been nearly run over by people too many times thanks to that lack of knowledge. It was only once, but that's too many times in my opinion anyways, lol. They need to up the safety training for those who want to operate those giant projectiles.

Airbozo
07-16-2007, 07:38 PM
...BTW, as a student pilot, and future commercial pilot, I know for a fact that currently I could not fly a 747 the things are immensely complicated. ...

Not as complicated as you think. The same rules still apply and the controls are the same (except all the redundancy and extra extra sheeite for safety and monitoring). (and no I do not have a pilots license but I do have over 60 hours on the MD11 McDonnell Douglas (now Boeing) flight simulator since I helped build it and had to test it to make sure it was working) I do not even know you and I would put my money on you to be able to fly and _possibly_ land a large commercial jet. And since _most_ commercial jets are landed by computer... Easy money...

BTW, if you ever think about getting your motorcycle endorement (in the US atleast) take the state provided safety course, its a lot of fun, a decent amount of work (after driving 20 miles in a parking lot, spending like 8 hours a day on the bike its tiring). I learned a LOT from the course, even if I never get my endorsement, I feel that I learned some information that every driver should know. I feel that I am a safer driver because I know the basics of motorcycle operation, feel like I know what to expect from a motorcyclist now. and thats the end of my bike safety commercial :P

*Got to love the amount of acronyms in Aviation, could go on all day listing the VFR ones, not including the IFR.

I agree with you on this one, In California it is mandatory for anyone under 18 and I think it should be mandatory for anyone that gets a bike bigger than a couple hundred cc's. I had been riding for 30+ years when I took that course in Cali. It broke me of some bad habits and made me a better rider AND driver. If some of you cagers knew what the Motorcyclists knew you would drive better too (at least you would be more conscious of us riders). BONUS: My motorcycle course fee was more than made up in the insurance savings in 6 months!
Oh and Tank Tops and flip flops are for the beach NOT a motorcycle! And if you disagree, you should visit the Xanadu thread and I want what you are smoking!

lominono
07-16-2007, 08:22 PM
THIS IS LEGAL IN THE US, some company got the rights to produce it here.

but yeah this thing is amazing, after first seeing it I made it one of my life goals to own one of these things. which won't be that hard cause i'm gonna be a trillionaire to the 7th power :)

progbuddy
07-17-2007, 12:08 PM
THIS IS LEGAL IN THE US, some company got the rights to produce it here.

but yeah this thing is amazing, after first seeing it I made it one of my life goals to own one of these things. which won't be that hard cause i'm gonna be a trillionaire to the 7th power :)

lol. In Indonesian Rupees? :D

Depends on what bike. I personally think a Proton could easily pass the Atom (no pun intended).

Rawr...
http://images.paultan.org/proton_badge_02.jpg

http://www.mcnews.com.au/Wallpaper/MVagusta/F4/2004/F4_1000_RHS_1024.jpg

AJ@PR
07-17-2007, 02:03 PM
I personally think a Proton could easily pass the Atom (no pun intended).

ROFLMAO!!!

That's a GREAT physics joke right there!!!!
KUDOS! :D :D

Sakker
07-17-2007, 05:50 PM
Here's somethign else, since this thread has transformed to small cars and bikes, a smart car with a hayabusa engine.

oPQIizRp9ck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPQIizRp9ck
Link cause video not working...

calumc
07-17-2007, 06:38 PM
i can see it now......

the d1 smartcar drift series.....