PDA

View Full Version : Getting pictures off a laptop HDD

Bucko
07-13-2007, 11:19 AM
I've been asked to see if I can get the pictures off a HDD from a laptop with a dead MoBo.
I tried just pulling the HDD out of my laptop and slipping in the one I need to get the pictures off, but it wouldn't boot into windows, not even in safe mode.

Any suggestions?

I was thinking of getting a USB external drive case and seeing if that will work to read the data.

doesi87
07-13-2007, 11:24 AM
The external case should work. But Windows can't boot from the HDD, because all the hardware is different AND the manufacturers do bad things with their OEM versions. Once tried to use a Aspire 1690 HDD in a Travelmate and it didn't work. Guess the external drive would be the easiest way. If your laptop has to HDD's you could simply switch the non-boot one. But guess you would have tried that;)

Bucko
07-13-2007, 11:27 AM
I only have space for one HDD on the lappy. It was only two screws and slide it out, so it was simple to try it anyway.

Zeus
07-13-2007, 11:49 AM
I think this will work for you
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156102

nil8
07-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Option 1
Download UBCD4Win
Plug the HD back into the laptop
Get a thumb drive
Transfer the files off using ExplorerXP

Option 2
Get an IDE to whatever-the-damn-name-standard-laptop-hdds-use adapter.
Hook it into a box with PATA, transfer data.

Xpirate
07-13-2007, 09:10 PM
I would try and see if it will boot off of Knoppix CD. Then you could mount a USB flash drive and get the pictures from the drive. I had an Asus motherboard that would run Linux when it would not load Windows. Your laptop might be too fried to boot off of the CD though.

Bucko
07-14-2007, 01:54 AM
My laptop is fine, its the other one that is dead. I don't have the dead laptop, only the hard drive from it.
I think I'll try the USB external HDD case first because if that doesn't work, I was after one anyway. I get to keep the hard drive regardless, so having the USB case will come in handy later.

xmastree
07-14-2007, 04:13 AM
Don't bother with the case unless you intend to keep the drive as an external one. Just buy a universal SATA/IDE - USB thingy.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150141736411

Bucko
07-14-2007, 07:05 AM
That's the point, I plan on keeping it as an external one regardless. I want to use it to store things I download at work and bring them home and I want to try installing a game or two on it to play at work.

Eclecticos
07-14-2007, 12:57 PM
All you need is a DOS boot disk.
Transfer the files from the particular directory to the selected media.

-=> Get Hirens BootCD.

.Maleficus.
07-14-2007, 05:10 PM
This was from XP? Then I'd try what nil8 suggested, or what Xpirate suggested. Keep in mind, for the Linux option to work, it needs to have native NTFS read/write, or you won't even see the drive. Then do like what they said, and transfer it to whatever media you want.

xmastree
07-15-2007, 03:24 AM
Keep in mind, for the Linux option to work, it needs to have native NTFS read/write, or you won't even see the drive.You will see it, and be able to read from it without any extras.

Bucko
07-16-2007, 03:23 AM
I bought a USB HDD case and it worked perfectly to get the pictures off it.

Thanks for the help everyone. Bunch of +reps all round.

Mysteriphys
08-10-2007, 01:26 AM
you can buy or wire an ide adaptor for a desktop machine if you have one, it's pretty straightforward as the pinmaps are roughly the same, the only thing you really need to figure out is what pins connect to the power molex connector you'll hook up from the computer.