PDA

View Full Version : Carbon fiber case

timmer
07-17-2005, 11:51 PM
Hey, I was wondering if any of you know if a cf case would be difficult or easy to make. I can get all of the necessary tools (my bro works with cf) so that wouldnt be a problem. Would it be easier to just get a case, take everything apart and use it as a template or could i just go by my imagination and hope everything lines up

MisterChief
07-18-2005, 01:07 AM
Ooh, I saw someone in Popular Mechanics make a case in the shape of a bettle with retractable wings and all. He used carbon fiber to make the "shell". I don't know how easy or difficult it can be, but it can be done! :)

lorddarkwolf
07-18-2005, 01:13 AM
Mashie has done some work with CF. These a links to his site where he maade a guide and on of the cases he made with it.
guide> http://www.mashie.org/guides/cfbalsa01.html
Mod> http://www.mashie.org/casemods/y2k01.html

Seven
07-20-2005, 07:05 PM
Well there are a few things about practicality with CF

CF is pretty expensive. You have to have a good working knowledge of it, and you must make the panels yourself (unless you get SierraComposites premade stuff)

It's probably not worth your effort, but it's worth a shot...

timmer
07-20-2005, 07:53 PM
yeah, ill just get one of those polygfx case skins with the CF pattern :D

Zeus
07-20-2005, 11:23 PM
I'll tell you one thing, If anybody came out with CF cases out there, I would be VERY interested in picking one up.

toast07
07-20-2005, 11:32 PM
yeah, ill just get one of those polygfx case skins with the CF pattern :D

dude fake carbon fiber looks so gay dont waste your time if you got the money id go for it if not buy some and make stealth drives with cf and replacement panels for ur other empty drives and mayby an accent peice for the top or one of the sides that would be alot easyer and cheaper that a strait up cf case

temmink
07-21-2005, 01:01 AM
You could get away with using fake cf vinyls on the inside of your case where it will not be under close inspection, but yeah... it looks like shat up close.

jack09
07-21-2005, 06:03 AM
http://www.mashie.org/guides/cfbalsa01.html

Mashie's guide to CF... maybe it will be of some help...

Good luck on the case it's an awesome idea and I'd like to see your creation.

dafatkid
07-22-2005, 10:26 AM
I'm currently using fiberglass for a case and the two are about the same to work with, everyone I've heard from has brought up static build up concerns, I'm going to use a conductive paint on the inside, but that seems to be the only snag. Otherwise what ever you can think of you can mold. What sort of design are you think of? You could also build off of an exisiting case to get a custom look with out the hassel of making custom mounting brackets for everything, wish I thought of that 3 months ago...

dafatkid
07-22-2005, 10:27 AM
Also use a fiberglass roller, air bubbles are much more of a problem with fiber than glass.

Malatory
07-22-2005, 10:54 AM
Also use a fiberglass roller, air bubbles are much more of a problem with fiber than glass.

I would 2nd this.

Also vacum packing the pieces 4-6" HG does wonders on air pockets as well. (but most hobbiest start with the pile of bricks w/ the CF sandwitched between 2 tempered pieces of glass Patend pending in linear's name)

dafatkid
07-22-2005, 10:50 PM
yeah the vacum bag will give you the best results, but the glass layers works well to.