PDA

View Full Version : Linux

NamesAreUseless
07-15-2007, 10:53 PM
Well... i wanna try using and learning how to use linux but i have this problem on my computer when i try booting from a burned linux cd i made (don't worry its legal). So i tried getting help at facepunch but i got very little.

Well...the hardware inside would make a difference

Damn it keeps repeating the same thing over and over again like

Verifying DMI pool data .......
Boot from CD:
Intel UNDI,pxe-2.0 9build 002
Copyright (c) 1997-200 Intel Corporation

SiS900 PXE bootrom v1.09 hook int18Client mac addr: 00 16 17 49 Guid: FFFFFFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Pxe-mof:exiting Intel Pxe Rom

It's either i didn't burn the disk to ISO or something is extremely wrong.

A friend of mine said it had something to do with my bios and its trying to boot from the network, is that true?

EDIT
Can someone smart please help me?!
Am I supposed to burn the image file to the Dvd?

calumc
07-16-2007, 08:02 AM
do you have the BIOS boot order set correctly?

Elenril
07-16-2007, 08:09 AM
Did you burn it as an .iso image?

.Maleficus.
07-16-2007, 09:02 AM
Ok, lets slow things down here. First, what were you trying to burn? ie, what distro? How big was the image (that what an .ISO is, it's a CD image)? As Elenril asked, did you burn it correctly? It won't work unless you burned it as an image file (and I don't mean like .jpg, I mean a CD image file).

No, your friend wasn't right about it trying to boot from the network (or whatever he meant). It is trying to boot from the CD. This may sound really dumb, but did you put the right CD in your drive? It looks like it is booting off of something from inside your drive. Or, do you have other drives hooked up that have CDs in them?

Click the Linux in a Nutshell link in my sig. Hopefully that will get you pointed in the right direction.

And don't worry, nobody is going to question the legality of your Linux CDs. Linux is open source, meaning it is free to everyone and you can do whatever you want with it, regardless. (Unless it is a pirated version of a distro you do have to pay for...)

Guttenaffe
07-16-2007, 10:00 AM
Actually that is a PXE boot screen (network boot) posted. To me it looks like the CD didn't burn correctly or you made a "network install" version of the distro...

Unless we know the distro we can't help much more than this.

... burned linux cd i made (don't worry its legal) ...

Is there such thing as an illegal Linux cd?

.Maleficus.
07-16-2007, 10:15 AM
Actually that is a PXE boot screen (network boot) posted. To me it looks like the CD didn't burn correctly or you made a "network install" version of the distro...

Unless we know the distro we can't help much more than this.

Ahhh, thanks for the correction Gutte. I thought it might have been for like, Intel RAID drivers or something.

But actually, a network install would make sense.

calumc
07-16-2007, 01:37 PM
yep i have one on the desk in front of me. a few weeks ago i decided i wanted to get started with linux and a few sites had said that linspire was the easiest so i got it! let me tell you it's NOT worth the money, there are easy features on it but only if you want to buy all your software from them. I haven't let this put me off altogether though and i'll prob have a go with ubuntu soon enough.

xmastree
07-16-2007, 02:16 PM
In case you're not sure about burning the disc, here's a guide I made some time ago to help people who weren't burning discs from ISO files correctly:

www.cginternet.net/ubuntu/burn

It may help you.

NamesAreUseless
07-16-2007, 04:06 PM
ok i got it to install properly but now i have a new problem, i can't install my driver for my internet receiver. It shows the cd but it wont run the driver installation. i have a feeling that its not compatible with linux

.Maleficus.
07-16-2007, 04:18 PM
ok i got it to install properly but now i have a new problem, i can't install my driver for my internet receiver. It shows the cd but it wont run the driver installation. i have a feeling that its not compatible with linux
Probably.

Wireless? Install ndiswrapper. I don't know if you know how to install stuff, but that's what you need to do. I also don't know what distro you're using, so I can't help much with your installing, but I'll say you need ndiswrapper and ndiswrapper-utils installed. Post back when you've done that.

(Maybe I'll make a post on wireless in my Linux thread...)

Edit: Also, the reason it won't run the driver installation is because it's a Windows .exe file. Linux doesn't use .exe files. They have other ways of doing it.

NamesAreUseless
07-16-2007, 04:25 PM
oh im using ubuntu linux. so how do i convert exe. files or whatever. What does linux usse? cause i heard somwhere that it uses .elf or something

.Maleficus.
07-16-2007, 05:03 PM
You don't convert the .exe to a format Linux uses, the program ndiswrapper will install it for you. Did you install what I said? If not, do this:

sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper ndiswrapper-utils
or go into Synaptic (I assume you know what that is) and search for ndiswrapper, and install both that way. Like I said, I can help more once you've done that.

NamesAreUseless
07-16-2007, 05:06 PM
synaptic is the add/remove functions thing right?

.Maleficus.
07-16-2007, 05:08 PM
Nope, you go System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager.

NamesAreUseless
07-16-2007, 05:24 PM
ok so my cd is named f5d9050 and i need to install it for my belkin wireless network thing to work what do i look for in the synaptic package manager.i dont get why but when i check the cds properties it says

Last modified january 16, 1963

.Maleficus.
07-16-2007, 06:50 PM
No, you install ndiswrapper and ndiswrapper-utils. Install those 2 packages. Click "Search" in Synaptic, search for "ndiswrapper", and check the boxes for "ndiswrapper" and "ndiswrapper-utils". Click Apply, let them install.

Airbozo
07-16-2007, 07:25 PM
ok so my cd is named f5d9050 and i need to install it for my belkin wireless network thing to work what do i look for in the synaptic package manager.i dont get why but when i check the cds properties it says

Last modified january 16, 1963

Like Mal said; The CD that came with your belkin is for windows. Forget that disk it will not run on linux, no way to convert it, "."

Is your belkin wireless a card that goes into your computer? If so follow Mals instructions to install the ndiswrapper. Unfortunately if that is your only connection to the internet, you cannot do the "apt get" command since it needs the network to install. The ndiswrapper _should_ be on the ubuntu disk somewhere (not familiar with that distro...).

NamesAreUseless
07-16-2007, 07:35 PM
its not really a wireless card but its more of a usb devise that receives wireless connection signals.
I've searched the whole synaptics thing and there is no ndiswrapper i even did the console thing and it still didn't show up. It says it cant be found. the best thing i can do is reinstall to make sure its all there i guess

.Maleficus.
07-16-2007, 08:31 PM
Can you connect to the internet at all, via a wire? Even for a short time? If you can, connect to the internet, and either run the command or use Synaptic. If not, like AB said, you should be able to use the Ubuntu disk to install. I think it is an Ubuntu Core Package, meaning they recommend you install it anyways. Here's what you do.

In Synaptic, go Settings > Repositories. Search around that window until you find a button called Add CDrom. Click it, insert the CD you installed Ubuntu from, and you'll be able to use that as a repository. Then, search in Synaptic for "ndiswrapper" again and see if you can install it.

NamesAreUseless
07-16-2007, 10:41 PM
i could but the internet routers aaaalll the way in the other room.

.Maleficus.
07-16-2007, 11:58 PM
Well, you'll either need to hook it up to a wire or use the CD. Your choice I guess. Moving the PC would probably be easier if you ask me.

NamesAreUseless
07-17-2007, 12:23 AM
i guess so but i'll do it tomorrow but i think i have a really long internet cable here. (seriously)

.Maleficus.
07-17-2007, 05:23 PM
I added a section on ndiswrapper in my Linux in a Nutshell post (#2). Hopefully that will get you going.

LiTHiUM0XiD3
07-21-2007, 05:30 AM
lmao im jus gunna point out one simple thing.... burnt linux is always legal.... linux is the home of open source lolz

calumc
07-21-2007, 03:06 PM
lmao im jus gunna point out one simple thing.... burnt linux is always legal.... linux is the home of open source lolz
one word. linspire. which is really not worth the money if you ask me and i think there are a few other distros out there that you have to pay for because of the software thats included.

XcOM
07-23-2007, 05:38 PM
yea, in them caes where you have to pay, your not paying for linux, your paying for hte help and support files, and more offten, your paying for the licence for media plugins, as some countrys you can't have them included, which is why so meny distros don't install media support as standard.