PDA

View Full Version : high frequency sound

Mitternacht
07-16-2007, 02:09 PM
When I start my computer, and it warms up, it starts to make this high-frequency sound for about 5-10 minutes. My dad can't her it, but me and my mom can. It gives me some nasty migraines. It's not any of the fans in the PC, and it goes away usually in 2-3 minutes. It still hurts like hell though. I can hear it through the whole house.

Any possible explanations for this one guys?

slytherock
07-16-2007, 02:13 PM
I come from witch part?

Mitternacht
07-16-2007, 02:17 PM
I come from witch part?

somewhere inside the computer. It's not any of the fans, or the HDD. It's kinda stumping me.

Computer-Geek
07-16-2007, 02:25 PM
Ghosts in your pc ? Hmm how about getting a can of compressed air and cleaning out your computer fans and such since it could be something stuck somewhere. Are you sure its not the HDD ? It could be your psu somehow also.

slytherock
07-16-2007, 02:32 PM
Overclocked?
or maybe a capacitor

Mitternacht
07-16-2007, 02:32 PM
Ghosts in your pc ? Hmm how about getting a can of compressed air and cleaning out your computer fans and such since it could be something stuck somewhere. Are you sure its not the HDD ? It could be your psu somehow also.

The reason I know its not my HDD, I had another HDD in my pc just to install XP on that one faster. The sound came back with my HDD out and the other one in so the problem is elsewhere. And my PC is squeaky clean on the inside. I'll try another PSU

Overclocked?
or maybe a capacitor

No, stock clock. And I hope its not a capacitor. I'll need a new motherboard then. This one was $130, and I dont have money now. Would be a good excuse to switch to the C2D lineup.

Spawn-Inc
07-16-2007, 02:44 PM
it might be your cpu alarm, how high is it set? mine is at 60*C and when i was burning a dvd with my new burner it started beeping randomly i turned on another fan and it went away.

Mitternacht
07-16-2007, 02:45 PM
Could it be possible that my computer's not properly grounded?

Mitternacht
07-16-2007, 02:45 PM
it might be your cpu alarm, how high is it set? mine is at 60*C and when i was burning a dvd with my new burner it started beeping randomly i turned on another fan and it went away.

my alarm is for 60, but my CPU never hits 40.

Spawn-Inc
07-16-2007, 02:50 PM
Could it be possible that my computer's not properly grounded?

if its that change the power cable and socket and that might eliminate that possibility. unless its within your psu.

is there a speaker in your system? try taking it out and see if its parts or the computer with some kind of error.

Mitternacht
07-16-2007, 02:54 PM
if its that change the power cable and socket and that might eliminate that possibility. unless its within your psu.

is there a speaker in your system? try taking it out and see if its parts or the computer with some kind of error.

Already ran it with only a power cable attached to it and it still did the noise, no internal speakers, switched power cords; nothing. I was hoping it was the PSU and not something too major.

Eclecticos
07-16-2007, 02:55 PM
I've been searching the net. . apparently It could be your video card, hard drive, or monitor.
IMO if it starts out with the noise and it goes away. . try a drop of oil in the fan.

Mitternacht
07-16-2007, 02:57 PM
I've been searching the net. . apparently It could be your video card, hard drive, or monitor. IMO if it starts out with the noise and it goes away. . try a drop of oil in the fan.

That's a likely culprit, along with the psu. I guess I'll try the oil in the fans, even though I'm just about 100% positive its not those. I get off work in an hour, so I'll let you guys know if anything works after I try it.

AJ@PR
07-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Long shot, but I'm with Sly.... I say capacitor.

Just a test... can you unplug the PSU, leave it a short while unplugged (60 minutes?)... then plug it back in.

When you re-plug it, check to see if it makes similar noises before you turn on the computer.

Just shooting some ideas... :)

Mitternacht
07-16-2007, 03:16 PM
Long shot, but I'm with Sly.... I say capacitor.

Just a test... can you unplug the PSU, leave it a short while unplugged (60 minutes?)... then plug it back in.

When you re-plug it, check to see if it makes similar noises before you turn on the computer.

Just shooting some ideas... :)

Thanks for the ideas, but it only makes the noise with the comp on, and if the sound is going on as I shut down, as soon as the PC shuts off, the sound stops. I start it back up, and the sound comes right back instantly.

slytherock
07-16-2007, 03:27 PM
I'll say: unplug everything. even the cpu. keep only the PSU and the mobo (if you have a spare one; even better) add one component at a time till you find the faulty one.

(Don't worry about the beeps ;) )

Edit: try with only the PSU, short it to put it on.

Edit 2: short the psu Link (http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthread.php?t=18420)

crazybillybob
07-16-2007, 03:55 PM
I'm leaning toward your PSU, more then likely you've got a filter circuit going bad (could be cap or a choke)
Look at SLy's drawing and jumper pin 14 to 15 and power up the PSU see if it still makes the noise.

CrazyBillyBob

Cannibal23
07-16-2007, 04:11 PM
i have troubleshot several of these problems at work. they are almost always a capacitor. typicaly its one of the ones inside your power supply. if you have a spare one plug it in and see if the problems goes away. if not maybe disconnect the power supply from everything. assuming this is an atx power supply you can turn it on by shorting the green wire and any black wire togeather. both are located on the big P1 connector. i think youll find your problem is power supply.

Mitternacht
07-16-2007, 04:19 PM
I'm on the computer right now. I started to see how it acts. The sound came on, and it only lasted 1 minute.

Mitternacht
07-16-2007, 04:33 PM
Ok, so I did the test & it's the psu. rep to everyone who helped.

slytherock
07-16-2007, 04:34 PM
The art of troubleshooting ;) At least you now know the problem.

Redundant
07-16-2007, 04:52 PM
Capacitors are the only things I know of that may make this sound as a byproduct. It's simply the sound of a capacitor rapidly charging.

Have you ever used a disposable camera? The single cap in there also makes a high pitch sound when you're charging the flash. Some other items where you might hear sound from would be CRTs (very high-voltage caps) and fluorescent lights (start-up circuit).

Once you get older, you won't be able to hear high frequency sounds as well. I think it happens to a lesser degree with women though; hence why your mom can hear it.

Computer-Geek
07-16-2007, 07:29 PM
No problem :) /off-topic/ I cant wait for school to start I will have A+ computer repair shop class! /off-topic/

ghoul
12-03-2007, 02:17 AM
ive ahd simualr problems with computers 1 was the powersupply the fans can get really annoying.

and the other was my old crt monitor next to the computer was making a sound

Indybird
12-03-2007, 02:23 PM
My vote is on the PSU; I've had two PSUs that do that and have heard of a lot of other people's PSUs that have also.

Try swapping out PSUs, luckily those aren't that expensive these days...

-Indybird

slytherock
12-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Wow, nice thread resurrection ;)

Indybird
12-03-2007, 07:06 PM
Wow, nice thread resurrection ;)

Thread resurrection? I posted mine the same day as the post before it...

-Indybird

slytherock
12-03-2007, 07:10 PM
Wan't talking about you ;)