PDA

View Full Version : opening ports

Nick_Black
07-16-2007, 08:02 PM
yes, same thing, still havent been able to fix it (I've re-installed windows now too, so it's like a fresh start)

anyway, I can't seem to open any ports, for any of my apps, port forwarding my router, nothing, disabling all firewalls, nothing, and I'm quite shure it's not my ISP cuz I doupt they'd block ALL of my ports, can it be the modem? and is there some "brute force" program that I can try that will force ports open (since it's for my own comp, it should be legal) or if some-one knows what else might be wrong.. any help would be nice :)

thxs,

Nick_Black

calumc
07-16-2007, 08:17 PM
did you check the firewall on the router? that gave me a bit of trouble one time when i reset my router

Nick_Black
07-16-2007, 08:19 PM
wow, fast reply, I asume I have when I port forwarded it, unless there's another firewall on it... I dunno, I'll look into that, it might explain a few things (btw, for those curios it's a wireless lynksys router.. can't remember the model# out of the top of my head...)

calumc
07-16-2007, 08:24 PM
its probably worth a look, it was puzzling me for ages. it will probably be somewhere in the seceurity settings on the router

Nick_Black
07-16-2007, 08:29 PM
hmm, nope, it seams to be pretty much all open (dunno, there seams to be quite alot of options, and only like 1/2 of them that makes sense no simple "turn firewall off" type deal. doues anyone know an almost "Ideal" way of setting up your router by chance?

p.s. I know that's a loaded question.

SgtM
07-17-2007, 01:32 PM
Need some more info.. what brand router? Which port do you need opened? XP Pro or Home? Which ISP?

crazybillybob
07-17-2007, 03:22 PM
many of the SoHo routers allow you to set an IP address as being the DMZ. Setup your PC with the issue in the DMZ (you'll have to give the router the pc's internal IP) This will put your PC out side the firewall, so make sure that all of the windows updates have been done and you have an anti-virus installed (I take no liability if your pc gets hacked or sick!!). If your issue goes away then it's a setting in your router. If you can post the make/model of the router I can give you better directions :)

CrazyBillyBob

Nick_Black
07-17-2007, 07:24 PM
ok more info

O.S:Win XP pro sp2 all updates
AVG home edition (soon to be pro)

Router: Linksys Wireless-G
model #: WRT54G ver 6.

ISP: sympatico

what does DMZ stand for anyway's?

cheers

Nick_Black

SgtM
07-17-2007, 10:30 PM
ok more info

O.S:Win XP pro sp2 all updates
AVG home edition (soon to be pro)

Router: Linksys Wireless-G
model #: WRT54G ver 6.

ISP: sympatico

what does DMZ stand for anyway's?

cheers

Nick_Black

DMZ = DeMilitarized Zone. Although I understand it, I can't speak intelligently about it.

I usually use port forwarding in my router. Give your PC a static IP address. Then, if you want to open port 3389 (which is the standard port for Terminal Services), you go to the port forwarding page in your router, and point that to your PC. I'm using a slightly older Linksys router, but here's a screen shot of how mine is set up to give you an example.

Now that you have port forwarding set up, you'll need to access your computer via the WAN IP address which is issued (Dynamically) by your ISP. To find that out, go to www.whatismyip.com. So, let's say I'm at a friends house, and I need to access a file on my PC at home. I know that my WAN IP address (today) is 10.1.1.1. I would open up the remote desktop client, and then type in 10.1.1.1 in the address bar. Since I'm using the standard listening port for RDC, I don't need to specify a port number. If I was using port 3390, then I would type in 10.1.1.1:3390.

Standard port numbers (http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers)

Be aware that whatever program you're using will likely differ from my example. I hope I didn't confuse you. If you need more help, say the word.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f186/sgtm_usmc/port_forward.jpg

Nick_Black
07-17-2007, 10:56 PM
yes I've port forwarded it, with the right ports that I needed to forward, with the IP of my computers static IP (yes that's all set up too) and still no-go :( (it feels like I've done this a hundred times with diffrent ports, setup diffrent Ip's.. getting sick of it..) and no worries you can use technical terms if you want if there is a word or so that I don't understand I'll ask, but I know most of the terminolagy and slang :)

anyway's, nope still hasn't worked...

yakyb
07-20-2007, 09:35 AM
whats you current setup is it straight from the wirelss router to your comp

in which case i would just doubly make sure that you have disabled the windows firewall on your network cards connection settings

secondly i would make sure you have a static internal ip 192.168.2.5 or something similar then setup the DMZ for it and that should work (provided you are not using any extra firewalls on your comp)

Outlaw
07-20-2007, 11:05 AM
I just skimmed through all the posts so sorry if this is just a repeat. You said you were using an anti-virus. Have you tried turning that off or if possible allowing the port to be opened, then trying it? With my experience, the router is the firewall and there isn't any other "software". When you are setting up port forwarding, you are opening the ports on the built in firewall. Otherwise it would just be a switch with DHCP.

I also have a WRT54G ver. Not sure. And usually it is something on the pc side that is preventing it. At least in my findings.

Luke122
07-20-2007, 11:19 AM
That linksys router doesnt filter outbound traffic.. only inbound.

If you are using Norton Antivirus, or Norton Internet Security, try to disable it. I've seen loads of issues with Norton blocking connectivity... it will pop up once warning of the connection attempt, and once you acknowledge it, you'll never see it again. It just adds into the rules database, and you have to delete it to get prompted again. Huge pain in the ass.

Outlaw
07-20-2007, 11:38 AM
That linksys router doesnt filter outbound traffic.. only inbound.

If you are using Norton Antivirus, or Norton Internet Security, try to disable it. I've seen loads of issues with Norton blocking connectivity... it will pop up once warning of the connection attempt, and once you acknowledge it, you'll never see it again. It just adds into the rules database, and you have to delete it to get prompted again. Huge pain in the ass.

He said he has AVG. I don't know anything about that, but I assume it is something like how norton can/will block it. And depending on what you are trying to do, that router will block/filter the port for outbound. He never specified(what I read) what he was doing.

SgtM
07-20-2007, 12:43 PM
AVG won't filter traffic like a firewall. It looks for malicious code only (as far as I can tell). I've never had a problem using remote desktop or VNC server or anything else with AVG turned on.

It sounds to me like you have port forwarding figured out. At this point, I would contact your ISP and find out if they're blocking the port. If they are, find out why and if they will unblock it.

Nick_Black
07-22-2007, 07:45 PM
I had the problem before I installed AVG,
I'm using it for the game "gunz", torrents, and p2p and some other minor games.
my static IP is 192.168.1.220, is there a certain range where it should be? (I noticed in your example the second last # was a 2....

as for the XP firewall, I just disable it when I'm trying to open the ports (saves some time, I'll fine tune it once I get it working.)

thanks for all the reply's so far :)

calumc
07-22-2007, 08:40 PM
well it's definitely on your router side and the static ip is fine so youll just have to tinker withe the router. like i said before it does sound like the router firewall is blocking it

Nick_Black
07-22-2007, 09:23 PM
once I'm awake I'll try taking the router out of the equation...
till then, thxs :)

SgtM
07-22-2007, 10:48 PM
I had the problem before I installed AVG,
I'm using it for the game "gunz", torrents, and p2p and some other minor games.
my static IP is 192.168.1.220, is there a certain range where it should be? (I noticed in your example the second last # was a 2....

as for the XP firewall, I just disable it when I'm trying to open the ports (saves some time, I'll fine tune it once I get it working.)

thanks for all the reply's so far :)

It doesn't matter what the IP address of your computer is. (just as long as it's in the hosts range of your network..) I changed my network from 192.168.1 to 192.168.250 because of my wireless. People that might be trying to use my wireless will probably try 192.168.1 or 192.168.0 networks. Switching it up makes it a little more difficult for them. Then again, I could always use a 172. or 10. network. Tell ya what.. I (should) have some free time on Wednesday if you want to test your port forwarding. We'll set up remote desktop. I still think that your ISP is blocking the ports though. We'll know that for sure if you want to test with me.