PDA

View Full Version : USB device unpluggin'

AJ@PR
07-17-2007, 02:08 PM
I'm just wondering...

When you unplug a USB device from your computer... do you 'stop' it before unplugging it?

Personally, I just yank it out.
I open my eyes to make sure nothing is writing/reading from the device, then it's out.

BUT, a good friend of mine, and computer inclined, almost had a heart failure yesterday when I just yanked his iPod off my computer.

So, I'm just curious.
How do you do it?
1- Yank!
or
2- 'Stop'... let the ducks cross the pond... yank.

???

:)

Best guys,

-AJ

EDIT: I don't know where this poll will go, but as of now, option 1 (Yank!) is winning by a LOOONG shot!
We have 100% of the votes! All one of them! :p

Luke122
07-17-2007, 02:17 PM
Depends what it is.. if it's a flash drive, *yank*. If it's an external HDD or my digi-cam, "stop, then yank".

All other peripherals, *yank*.

.Maleficus.
07-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Yank. Everything (which is my flash drive and Zune).

Mitternacht
07-17-2007, 02:29 PM
I yank my small 256MB drive, butt my 2 GB drive forces you to use a program on it in order to do anything with it, so I have to stop it then yank it.

calumc
07-17-2007, 02:36 PM
yank!!
sometimes i just do it to annoy people that are anal about the ''stop'' thing

nil8
07-17-2007, 02:36 PM
It actually doesn't really matter. Windows is setup to allow something removable to be detached by pulling as long as data isn't being transferred.
The little 'remove device' dialogue is to make sure that data isn't be transferred and to give the user a little widget to feel powerful with.
That being said, I don't yank, I disconnect.

slytherock
07-17-2007, 02:39 PM
Most of the time I yank. But after a couple of losts on flash drives, and cause I'm using mac too, I learned to stop it first. I stop flash and external drive, others: yank

xRyokenx
07-17-2007, 02:46 PM
If it's like an mp3 player or Pocket PC that's not transferring, yank. If it's mass storage than I'll stop and then yank.

Drum Thumper
07-17-2007, 03:30 PM
I stop and then yank, mainly because the only USB perhip that I have connected is my camera.

Spawn-Inc
07-17-2007, 03:33 PM
YANK! for me, on everything. but like said above i check to see if its reading/writing first

onelegout
07-17-2007, 03:39 PM
WANK!
errr.
I mean, yank.

Bopher
07-17-2007, 03:43 PM
My iPod is the only thing not yanked. Everything else *yank* My USB drive doesn't even show up 1/2 the time in the bottom right. So I constantly am yanking that out.

Helix666
07-17-2007, 06:22 PM
I always unmount then unplug.

(double entendre? :D )

Airbozo
07-17-2007, 07:00 PM
Everything but the digital camera gets yanked. Had some corruption on the camera a couple of times so I stopped yanking it.

hehe I know this thread will deteriorate soon...

Redundant
07-17-2007, 07:07 PM
I yank my small 256MB drive, but my 2 GB drive forces you to use a program on it in order to do anything with it, so I have to stop it then yank it.
U3? I think you can remove that with a program on Sandisk's site if you don't want it.

I myself press disconnect, then pull it out.

Mitternacht
07-17-2007, 07:15 PM
U3? I think you can remove that with a program on Sandisk's site if you don't want it.

I myself press disconnect, then pull it out.

More info please, you caught my attention. It is U3.

AJ@PR
07-17-2007, 07:36 PM
More info please, you caught my attention. It is U3.

Here's the linky for the uninstallation. (http://www.u3.com/uninstall/)

But... remember!

Wait! You're about to throw out the part that makes your drive smart.
LoL

I yank everything... as to the digital camera, I have a small USB SD card reader, and I prefer to take the memory card out and use it via the reader.
That's just me.
And yeah, that also gets yanked.

BTW, is 'yank' the correct term?
yankin'
yanked
yanking
yankz0r5

hehe I know this thread will deteriorate soon...
Night, follows day... I'm with you. LoL

Indybird
07-17-2007, 07:36 PM
I yank everything (including my external hdd). Actually, the only thing I dont yank is my m:robe 500, because theres a million and one problems that can go wrong with it, many of which include yanking it. My reasoning on yanking an external hard drive is:
If Im not viewing, editing, deleting or copying files on it, then it shouldn't be doing anything and therefore is safe to unplug. If windows is doing something like "indexing" or "virus scanning", I don't care much. None of my friends really care either. However one of my friend's dad is a computer guy and couldn't believe I call myself "computer knowledgeable" after he saw me yank a flash drive out (he supports the stop device function heavily).

-Indybird

Omega
07-18-2007, 04:32 PM
Stop my flash drive (It's U3 capable, therefore a pain in the ass), then yank

All else, yank.

Aero
07-22-2007, 12:37 AM
I took U3 off my drive. Theres an uninstall program floating around the net. Then I put on PortableApps (http://portableapps.com/).

But I yank everything but my good MP3 player and good digi cam. Both are too expensive (IMO) to risk anything.

dgrmkrp
07-22-2007, 10:15 AM
I yank everything.. but if it's not mine, I ask first.. I've had expensive phones and big cameras running on my desk and no problems whatsoever with yanking them cables out..
Also, +rep for the portableapps :)