PDA

View Full Version : USB driver issues...

tybrenis
07-18-2007, 06:03 PM
I have no idea what the hell is wrong with windows. It won't recognize ANY of my usb devices in any of the USB ports. The ports work fine, they'll charge my iPod etc., but when I plug in a device, windows gives me "device not recognized". EVERY TIME.

I've installed, uninstalled, reinstalled all the drivers etc. for the devices. They all have software installed. I've removed all the usb devices in safe mode and rebooted for them to be detected and no dice. I have no leads on this at all, and due to this fact I can't upload pics of my sweet mods etc... you guys are missing out on MODDING because of my piece of **** computer.

Please help! I know you guys will pull through. Thanks to all that decide to help out!

EDIT: Also, wtf is up with my firefox. It seems like javascript buttons don't work. I'll be about to pay for something with paypal, and I hit submit, and it just does nothing. Same with myspace buttons, I can't set default pictures, update my profile, etc. It works in IExplorer.

.Maleficus.
07-18-2007, 06:09 PM
Hmm....

Maybe, try plugging in the device, going to the Device Manager, find the yellow ?'s, right click them, and try installing a generic Windows driver for them. Sorry dude, but that's all I got.

Eclecticos
07-18-2007, 06:11 PM
You can use the Device Manager to scan for your USB Devices.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type Devmgmt.msc in the Open box, and then click OK.
3. On the Action menu, click Scan for hardware changes. This causes Windows to recognize new devices.
4. Close Device Manager and Control Panel.

tybrenis
07-18-2007, 06:29 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks for the try, but neither worked. The thing is, there are no yellow question marks next to the usb port drivers in device manager. Also, I tried scanning for hardware changes, and it actually detected my camera, told me the model number, but then it said "an error occurred installing the drivers blah blah blah, your device may not work properly". And it didn't.

+rep to you both

jdbnsn
07-18-2007, 06:36 PM
I have had similar issues with my zen, try running custom windows update with a device plugged in and see if it finds it and updates. Also, try going into device manager, uninstalling any usb devices and try plugging them back in to autoinstall

Eclecticos
07-18-2007, 06:39 PM
Here (http://www.hat.net/geeky/node/221) is another possible fix.

Another Option:
If it worked before on that windows installation, you may want to do a system restore.
I'd only do that if the drivers continue to fail.

Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore. Click the Restore My Computer to an earlier time, next.

tybrenis
07-18-2007, 06:55 PM
Thanks guys,

tried all that, tried your link eck, followed everything, no dice.

jdbnsn
07-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Try disabling your USB devices in BIOS and then rebooting, enable them again and see if that works.

Moofaa
07-18-2007, 07:32 PM
Starting to sound like a hardware issue at this point.

tybrenis
07-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Thanks guys,

Still no luck. I don't think its a hardware problem, it worked fine before I reinstalled windows. Also, the devices I am trying to add all work fine on another computer. Also, thanks for the thread rename, whichever mod did that for me... lol

Jim Beam
07-18-2007, 09:27 PM
sounds like a bad install maybe one of the .cabs is corupted when you installed. might try loading the drivers from the motherboard. or it's a hardware problem.

You could take it to Billy's house and shove the windows disk where the sun don't shine and tell him when he fixes your problem you will remove it :eek:

tybrenis
07-18-2007, 09:35 PM
Haha, good advice Jim. I did reinstall all motherboard drivers... no such luck.

.Maleficus.
07-18-2007, 09:39 PM
So, you said it will like, charge your iPod? Does an icon show up in the My Computer window for the device? If it does, just try right clicking and click "Explore". I had a flash drive with a f'ed up install of Ceedo and I couldn't open the drive unless I did "Explore".

tybrenis
07-18-2007, 09:47 PM
So, you said it will like, charge your iPod? Does an icon show up in the My Computer window for the device? If it does, just try right clicking and click "Explore". I had a flash drive with a f'ed up install of Ceedo and I couldn't open the drive unless I did "Explore".

It used to when the usb worked. Not any more.

Luke122
07-18-2007, 10:58 PM
Do you have front USB ports on your computer that you are using? Unhook them from the mobo, and try to use one of the ports on the back of the PC.

Also, you could try removing all the USB devices from the device manager, and then reboot and let it reinstall.. but if you've already reinstalled the OS, this likely wont help.. unless you did a reinstall instead of a reformat/install... even then, it still may not help.

I like the BIOS idea.. make sure it's set to enable legacy devices.

tybrenis
07-18-2007, 11:13 PM
Thanks luke, but all of that has also all ready been done. This is starting to look pretty hopeless...

jdbnsn
07-19-2007, 01:30 AM
Is anything showing up at all in the Device Manager?

tybrenis
07-19-2007, 01:35 AM
Just the actual usb ports themselves.

jdbnsn
07-19-2007, 01:47 AM
Try this:
Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers > USB Root Hub > Power Management

Uncheck all boxes on all root hubs.

EDIT: forgot to ask, any new hardware from the re-install?

jdbnsn
07-19-2007, 02:03 AM
Also, what OS and service pack are you using?

One last thought, although this sounds crazy I have seen it mentioned as a fix for this problem. Try a cold boot with the PSU's power switch off for a minute and reboot. I have heard that the residual capacitor charge can screw with the usb ports.

tybrenis
07-19-2007, 11:14 AM
I got into the power management of the usb hubs, but I'm not sure what you mean about the check boxes.

I also have all ready tried unplugging the computer and switching off the psu to let it sit overnight - I read that on google somewhere.

jdbnsn
07-19-2007, 11:36 AM
In the power manage ment tabs of the root hubs there should be a checked box that says something like "Allow windows to shut down this device to save power" or something, it's a long shot.

tybrenis
07-19-2007, 12:15 PM
Hey Jon,

I couldn't find any check boxes etc. - I looked everywhere. Also, I'm on XP using SP2.

jdbnsn
07-19-2007, 12:39 PM
That's strange, can you take a screen shot of the power management screen?

tybrenis
07-19-2007, 12:58 PM
I wish. Another ridiculous problem with my computer is that I can't upload images (or anything for that matter) either. Basically, in the way of pictures, I'm screwed. I'd gladly just back everything up to my USB external hard drive and reformat (for the 85th time), but, of course - my USB doesn't work so how can I use my external HD?

Luke122
07-19-2007, 12:58 PM
You said that only the USB ports themselves were still listed in the Device Mangler.. remove them too and reboot. :)

tybrenis
07-19-2007, 01:12 PM
You said that only the USB ports themselves were still listed in the Device Mangler.. remove them too and reboot. :)

Been there, done that, no luck........:dead:

jdbnsn
07-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Damn dude, I am running out of ideas.

tybrenis
07-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Ha, its okay - I didn't expect anyone could fix this, I'd all ready tried most everything. Thanks anyways for trying, I do appreciate it.

Guttenaffe
07-19-2007, 06:43 PM
edit
---------------------
Step 1: download and run ewido (now AVG AntiSpy) from here:
http://www.ewido.net do a update and full system scan
---------------------
Step 2: ????
---------------------
Step 3: Profit!
---------------------
Step 4: do the following

Run the exe talked about here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272584

Download able from here:
http://www.dlpdesign.com/usbview.zip

Expand all of the branches and post a screen shot and a list of the devices you wish to connect to plugged in.

Example here: http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/6167/usbviewwz4.th.gif (http://img261.imageshack.us/my.php?image=usbviewwz4.gif)
Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting (http://imageshack.us)

Reply down here:
|
V

tybrenis
07-19-2007, 06:48 PM
Once again, I can't upload pics. However, this is what it said for one of my ports.

Device Descriptor:
bcdUSB: 0x0000
bDeviceClass: 0x00
bDeviceSubClass: 0x00
bDeviceProtocol: 0x00
bMaxPacketSize0: 0x00 (0)
idVendor: 0x0000
idProduct: 0x0000
bcdDevice: 0x0000
iManufacturer: 0x00
iProduct: 0x00
iSerialNumber: 0x00
bNumConfigurations: 0x00

ConnectionStatus: DeviceFailedEnumeration
Current Config Value: 0x00
Device Bus Speed: Low
Device Address: 0x00
Open Pipes: 0

Bucko
07-19-2007, 09:34 PM
just a crazy idea for uploading a pic, can you take a screen shot, burn it to a CD and upload off another computer?

Sorry I'm no help with your USB issue though.

Guttenaffe
07-20-2007, 08:31 AM
Does it say the same thing for all of your USB ports?

Also on the left-hand side does it say anything is connected? This is regardless if the device has a driver installed. As it goes by the vID and pID.

Luke122
07-20-2007, 11:02 AM
USB on the mobo is toast perhaps? Maybe a short or something damaged it?

I dont remember if you tried this or not, but did you reset the bios on the mobo to factory defaults?

I suppose you could always try an add-in USB controller.. I got one for $15 the other day with 4 - 2.0 ports on it.

Redundant
07-21-2007, 03:57 PM
For uploading pictures, have you tried putting the picture in a .zip file and then uploaded it?

goofazoid
07-30-2007, 01:44 PM
Also, wtf is up with my firefox. It seems like javascript buttons don't work

Make sure that Java is enabled in the Firefox options.
If need be I can post a screenshot of where to find it. :)

Also as far as the USB, have you attempted to do a system restore to before the problem started?

Good luck