PDA

View Full Version : I work for a madman

DaveW
07-19-2007, 04:45 PM
This is a beast to explain.

I went into my placement today, to meet the team. For the next 8 weeks i'll be working on something called the Antonine Wall Interpretation Project. The Antonine wall was built by the Romans to try and keep Scots the hell away from them, but as you'd expect it didn't work and we booted them south, prompting them to build Hadrians wall (further south) to try and keep us at bay. That didn't work either, so they kind of gave up after that.

I'm working for the museum displaying the artifacts, and my new Boss (who doesn't even own a mobile phone) has asked me to spend the next 8 weeks finding out how possible it would be to create a system where users:

1) Bring their MP3 Player, mobile phone, or i-pod to the museum
2) Download information about the exhibits
3) Walk about, and listen to the information
4) Then take the information away, visit the wall, and listen to more stuff from the museum.

Now you're probably already thinking "Hang on, there's all sorts of issues there." Here's the ones that I've already pointed out.

1) Everyone has a different MP3 Player. We can't possibly serve them all.
2) iPod is great, but iPod videos are few.
3) Mobile phones are the best for this-Bluetooth even allows exhibit interaction. However, this would require Java mobile development-not a huge problem, but it is if you factor in filesize, and the time it takes to transfer all the data to a device.

Basically, for the first time in my life, I think I'm faced with a project that is impractical, unfeasible, and ludicrously overambitious.

You're a smart bunch though-do you have any suggestions that could help me here? Can you think of any way that this can be done without asking everyone to bring their cables and drivers? I don't want to tell my new boss that he's paid me £2000 to tell him his pet project is stupid, I really don't, so any input on this...even to re-enforce my belief that the whole thing is ludicrous...would be greatly appreciated.

-Dave

.Maleficus.
07-19-2007, 04:53 PM
Wow. That is a huge undertaking. But, unless I'm wrong, the 3 major MP3 transfer programs are iTunes, Zune, and Windows Media Player. Still, you'd have one hell of a time with that, because with all that, the people would either need to take control of a mouse, open the program they need, and transfer. Too much time. You could have separate stations that go for iPod, WMP devices, Zunes, etc. but that costs $$$. I won't even touch stuff about phones, cause I don't know anything about that stuff.

Does it really have to be video? It could be all audio as they walk around the exhibits. ie, 1 track for one display, click the next button for track 2 and display 2, etc. Like syncing a CD of the exhibit. Like I said, I know nothing about Bluetooth.

Sorry I couldn't help much, but hell, that's a lot to work with. Best of luck to you and your boss with this though.

Luke122
07-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Why not just buy a bunch of cheapo MP3 players, and load the info on them, then let people use them while they are there?

If they want to keep the info, give them a link to download from the internet when they get home...?

Zephik
07-19-2007, 05:08 PM
1. Feasible - Advertise it, "Hey, bring your iPods and blah blah blah!"
2. Feasible - Doesn't iTunes have an option, where when you plug in your iPod you can have it automatically upload certain information or types of media or something? You could have a computer at the entrance and have people connect their iPods to the computer, thus automatically downloading that information. or another idea is to have a person stand behind a desk and have them upload the information for the people.
3. Feasible - Once you figure out how to get the information on their devices, thats pretty easy for them to do. As I'm sure they know how to work their own mp3 player.
4. Wait what? You want to take the information BACK? ie delete the information from their players? Hmm, don't really see a point to this. But you can always just have a person that stands at the desk to it for them. or something.

round 2

1. True. You can always make it an iPod only thing. or just train that person at the desk to understand how to work different players. iPods use iTunes, everything else uses drag and drop. ...well not entirely true. But true enough. You can have a "compatibility list" so people know right away that they are able to use this new feature or not.
2. bah, you don't need to limit it to iPod videos. Just have the mp3 for each exhibit. Or for special users, such as video users, can get a lil slideshow on their ipods with sound. or something.
3. ugh, I won't even go there. I say scratch the mobile phone idea.

Well, I don't know if that helps you or not, but maybe it will gave you some ideas. or something. lol good luck Dave!

Why not just buy a bunch of cheapo MP3 players, and load the info on them, then let people use them while they are there?

If they want to keep the info, give them a link to download from the internet when they get home...?

I like that idea! You think it would be pricey, but not pricey in comparison to most other options! Just get a lot of 20 cheapo mp3 players and put security tags on them so they can't steal them or walk out with them. Voila!

Computer-Geek
07-19-2007, 05:08 PM
Luke has a good idea. you would need to have alot of mp3 players and something in them so they beep if someone tries to leave with it.

calumc
07-19-2007, 05:22 PM
with those mp3 players look on www.made-in-china.com its got a directory of just about every product thats made in china and you can get mp3s for around $10. They all say min. order of 100 bla bla bla but you can just tell them you want a sample order of about 25 to 'evaluate' their product.

nil8
07-19-2007, 05:39 PM
I agree with Luke's idea. Good idea.
Voice encoded into mp3 is incredibly small(128kbps is all you need for bitrate).

I'm assuming the museum already has some sort of anti-theft system(most do), lump them into that if possible.

Get 256mb mp3 players CHEAP wholesale and save yourself the hassle of this 'bring in your equipment' nonsense.

Wasabisam
07-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Some of the art Gallery's and museums ive been to and seen do whats already been said. They buy a load of cheap mp3 players or cheap tape players and also buy cheap headphones. Then they charge say $3 per person or somthing to borrow them then give them back at the end. Therefore you will make your money back and can buy say better mp3 players or better headphones. And nobody steals them because like its been said also they beep if they go through like a super market thingie. And people use them too because there cheaper than a tour of the place.

Hope that helps

sam

Mitternacht
07-19-2007, 06:55 PM
Luke has a good idea. you would need to have alot of mp3 players and something in them so they beep if someone tries to leave with it.

Collateral. The visitors will give up something like a license or ID or something, and in order to get it back, return the MP3 player.

Jim Beam
07-19-2007, 08:39 PM
you could find someone to embed the information on a chip in MP3 format then make a small player with the chip in it then just tell em to bring thier headphones.

or you could support these and sell them for 20 bucks get 15 bucks back if you return it sell used ones for 15 bucks and you get 10 bucks back if you return it http://www.usbgeek.com/prod_detail.php?prod_id=0528

Omega
07-19-2007, 08:49 PM
Collateral. The visitors will give up something like a license or ID or something, and in order to get it back, return the MP3 player.

ID, 20$, and their right shoe.

ID so that if they run off, they will suffer the consequences. 20$ because the players are probably cheaper than that. Their shoe so that they can't run as fast and/or they have to buy another pair of shoes making it a pain in the ass for them if they do run off.

Luke122
07-19-2007, 10:11 PM
128kbit is overkill for voice only.. I've got loads of audio books in 64kbit mono, and since it's just voice, it's plenty good. :D

Mach
07-19-2007, 11:22 PM
The problem is standards ie there isn't one. So the project scope needs to be scaled back to target ipods and ipod standards. (although i'd argue mp3 might be a better choice than AAC) The justification would be on market size, more people have em. Cell phones? not as a download but maybe as a call-in service for a better route.

They call a number which then give them a voice/number menu to navigate each exhibit. Exhibit #1 punch 1# or say one, etc.

Video is a non-starter...any visual cues will need to be old school with printed materials.

jdbnsn
07-19-2007, 11:38 PM
Keep in mind if you used in house mp3 players you'll need a new set of headphones for each visitor. Having a docking station set up to interface all types of players sounds unrealistic to me also, as they all take different connectors. I wonder if you could use radio frequency broadcasts so that each person can tune in their own players to tune in to a station to hear each exhibit's recording on loop. This would require having a very defined broadcast distance so that diff exhibits didn't overlap. Dunno man, that's a tough one.

simon275
07-19-2007, 11:39 PM
For Syncing with as many media players as possible you could try

http://www.mediamonkey.com/

If you where gonna supply the players

Interestingly enough maybe you should contact

The National museum of Singapore

http://www.visitsingapore.com/publish/stbportal/en/home/what_to_see/museums/national_museum.html

As they have a system where you get a player and walk around and enter the exhibit numbers as you go. But it has some extra features as if you say walk up to a screen with a movie playing on it that is half way through you enter the number into the unit and it talks using blue tooth to the TV and plays from the point the movie is up to.

I agree with mitternacht on the idea of collateral. THe best method is a copy of there ID and either money or a credit card imprint so if they nick the player you can bill em or keep the cash.

One thing you could do for mobiles is delpoy a system where they come to an exhibit then dial a number on there phone to hear about the exhibit no messing around with mp3's and most people have a phone. How much you charge or whether you just charge for a call or if you just have a one fee is up to you.

You could just get people to bring there own heaphones so they can listen to some exhibits by plugging in or if they bring a player then they could get all the content and a bit extra on it.

SgtM
07-20-2007, 08:21 AM
Don't have time to read through the whole thread, but my .02 would be just to use a central recording, and then extend speakers to the various exhibits. I think your boss is out of his mind.

rendermandan
07-20-2007, 10:17 AM
If you boss is going to make Lofty requests, how about suggesting to him he has to launch a satalite into space so they can broadcast to mobile XM or sirius players that you could rent out. :rolleyes:

AJ@PR
07-20-2007, 10:43 AM
Cheap portable CD players that can read mp3s. 600MB worth of mp3s is 'enough' I'd reckon.

People should bring/use their own earbuds, or you sell them yours.

Make them put down a deposit on the CD players so they don't 'steal' them... or alternately, we can develop a GPS tracking system with a feedback of position info through GPRS networks using small cell modules with attack-back capabilities consisting of 24/7 unmanned hovering drones running on bioDiesel with anti-personel napalm spreading cluster missles and microwave death ray guns controlled via the shed behind your house.

Just my 0.02
:)

SgtM
07-20-2007, 12:39 PM
Cheap portable CD players that can read mp3s. 600MB worth of mp3s is 'enough' I'd reckon.

Make them put down a deposit on the CD players so they don't 'steal' them... or alternately, we can develop a GPS tracking system with a feedback of position info through GPRS networks using small cell modules with attack-back capabilities consisting of 24/7 unmanned hovering drones running on bioDiesel with anti-personel napalm spreading cluster missles and microwave death ray guns controlled via the shed behind your house.

Just my 0.02

Priceless!

modmansage
07-20-2007, 12:50 PM
What about a small fm transmitter for each exhibit broadcasting the speech on different frequencies i.e. exhibit 1 is on frequency X, exhibit 2 is on frequency Y, etc.

calumc
07-20-2007, 02:38 PM

Just my 0.02

add on a few freekin lazer beamz and i migt just buy 1 myself! :p :p

modmansage
07-20-2007, 10:36 PM
I saw a thing at the Barnes and Noble in the Las Vegas airport, it's an audiobook that's its own mp3 player (it plays itself basically).
they were pretty cheap too, figure out who makes then and call them up.
i can't send off an e-mail cause i don't see the "send mail" button, but it would probably be more effective to call them up instead.
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/help/customer_service/morehelp.asp?z=y

DaveW
07-21-2007, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the input guys, but you haven#t quite caught on to just how nuts this whole thing is quite yet. Let me go over Snowfire's ideas to explain.

1. Feasible - Advertise it, "Hey, bring your iPods and blah blah blah!"

Of course, great in theory, but they have no budget. They seemed to think that Hiring a software engineer would somehow include all of that ****. :dead: I've been told that their budget is £50,000 but they think it's going to cost £300,000. Bummer. I think i'm on a scholarship so i'm not detracting from their budget, but I don't look forward to explaining to him how expensive this could be-especially after he's introduced me to the 2 history students who are halfway through making all the videos and MP3's on their scholarships. Ouch.

2. Feasible - Doesn't iTunes have an option, where when you plug in your iPod you can have it automatically upload certain information or types of media or something? You could have a computer at the entrance and have people connect their iPods to the computer, thus automatically downloading that information. or another idea is to have a person stand behind a desk and have them upload the information for the people.

That is basically the idea, but he hasn't quite figured out just how long transferring that will take. At peak times, it's going to be difficult. Being honest, this is the least of our worries.

3. Feasible - Once you figure out how to get the information on their devices, thats pretty easy for them to do. As I'm sure they know how to work their own mp3 player.

That's what he's hoping for. Unfortunately...getting the info on the devices is the problem part.

4. Wait what? You want to take the information BACK? ie delete the information from their players? Hmm, don't really see a point to this. But you can always just have a person that stands at the desk to it for them. or something.

This is the part that I must not have explained right: no, my boss wants them to be able to leave the museum with the information, so they can then go and visit the site of the antonine wall, some 20-30 miles away, and then listen to more information depending on what part of the antonine wall they're at. So it's not selective; they would need to take all this information away with them.

the idea of loaning out cheap MP3 players is a good one-in fact, that's what I figured he meant when the meeting started. What he actually wants is...well, so close to being impossible...brainstorm with me guys, this one's a screwball.

-Dave

AJ@PR
07-21-2007, 07:53 AM
Dave, what about sponsorship from a company?

Creative Labs?
I doubt Apple would reply, snobs.

But maybe a company can jump on the bandwagon for 'sponsoring' the mp3 players of The Wall.

And dude, I know you're thinking about the drones, so maybe we can talk with NATO for sponsorship of that. :)

DaveW
07-21-2007, 08:04 AM
There's no way we can let people take MP3 players away with them. The only viable way to do this is to give them the data to put on their own MP3 players to take to the wall.

The antonine wall is about 50 miles long or something. And it starts far from the museum. The museum is just showing artifacts from the wall.

I doubt corporate sponsorship is something the museum is interested in, and I doubt creative labs would sponsor a museum. Apple are snobs, but if we explained the situation to them, they might provide us with 'unisex docking stations' or something, letting us plug in all the iPod products...

-Dave

xRyokenx
07-21-2007, 10:44 AM
Since most mp3 players have FM Tuners built in why not just broadcast it over a few channels? You could time the tours or something to where they hit the transmission at the right time. Or have it so that it broadcasts after a button is pressed at the exhibit. I've also seen places where they have a button with a speaker right next to it for whatever audio you want played.

Just my .02.

EDIT: And if they don't have an mp3 player with radio built in you could sell those crappy little radios that hang around your neck for like five bucks (or the Scottish equivalent), they're cheap and would be reasonable. Just tell them the frequency and off ya go. I'm just not sure about licensing and all for the radio broadcasts though, you'd have to take a look into that.

jdbnsn
07-21-2007, 03:36 PM
And dude, I know you're thinking about the drones, so maybe we can talk with NATO for sponsorship of that.

LOL, nice one.

Commando
07-22-2007, 04:22 AM

This is by far the most cost effective idea.

Track 1(point A), track 2(point B)

They have this at Graceland(Elvis). I visited there 3 years ago and it worked great.

Get really big, dumb looking mp3 players that nobody would want to steal and you wont lose too many. I haven't seen many ganster punk kids visiting historical sites to steal cheapo mp3 players.

To take the info with them just burn some CDs that they can listen to later or download it from your website.

DaveW
07-22-2007, 05:28 AM
I'll bring it up, but I don't think he's going to go for that. He really wants to make the Antonine wall accessible to everyone...I still think it's a little crazy.

What I could do is I could sit in the museum all day and talk to the guests, that way I could do a qualitative and quantitative evaluation of the guest's desires and draw a feasibility study from that.

He says he's already done some studies, but I don't know about them-i'll have to get the information from him.

-Dave

Crazy Buddhist
07-23-2007, 06:56 AM
How about making the tours available as downloads from the Museum website that people put on their MP3 player before leaving home?

- Simple.
- No technology purchasing or loan scheme
- As most people visiting museums plan their visits, the only people who could not avail themselves of this are the ones who randomly drive their vehicle around, bump into a museum and then said "hey lets look around". They don't deserve a guide and would probably punch one in any case - even if it was on an iPod :banana:

ps sorry to be so simplistic but i'm into problem solving. It's kind of a hobby of mine

.jrauck
07-23-2007, 05:41 PM
Theres the things like a mp3 player but you punch in the button for each station and it tells you about that station, which im sure if he has heared of which hes not looking for... thats why he gave the ridiculous task.

There is going to have to be some advertising or else it would be kinda pointless to do any of that because no one would know...

I don't know if anyone has thought of this but im sure if its the peoples mp3 player and the museum put the info on there for them, there would have to be some sort of signing an agreement because if any data on the mp3 player got lost there could be someone sueing the museum...

What I would suggest is for the people to do it from the web at home which if needed to charge them for it then you can make them pay and the link would be sent via email or on the web site.

I have a pretty good idear but it would take me too long to explain it... if you want to know just pm me or my aim is handheldsquirl

Collinstheclown
07-23-2007, 10:42 PM
I have this piece of software from a company called Red Chair. It basically accesses iPods as if they were drives/a normal mp3 player. As in you can simply drag and drop files in and out. It works with every iPod version and cost like 30USD.

I just went to thier website, and they apparently have software like that for a whole bunch of players.

All of thier software's universal editions added up is: $150USD. That would cover all the software needed for basically everything but Zune, which you would have to use Zune software for I would assume.

Linky: http://www.redchairsoftware.com/

You could set up, say, 6 PCs with nothing but those programs and everything else locked out(maybe accessing them on a sever). The next problem would be creating a docking station for everything. I could try to come up with something in SketchUp if I have some free time, and someone could mill it for you with a CNC router. Alternatly you could just have a bunch of docking cables locked down to a desk and the person could hook-up and transfer.

That covers pretty much every mp3 player I can think of. Now phones are a completly different story. Bluetooth seems to be the only option other then downloads. The problem is that bluetoothing a large file will take forever and not every has the space for it... yet alone bluetooth capabilities.

Hope that helps a bit, I'll check back everynow and then. Good luck!

-CollinstheClown

Crazy Buddhist
07-24-2007, 05:13 AM
What I would suggest is for the people to do it from the web at home which if needed to charge them for it then you can make them pay and the link would be sent via email or on the web site.

OI ... thats my idea :D :D :D

"How about making the tours available as downloads from the Museum website that people put on their MP3 player before leaving home?

- Simple.
- No technology purchasing or loan scheme"

monoflap
07-24-2007, 06:10 PM
At the Museum of Science and Industry here in Chicago I went to the Leonardo Divinci exhibit and they had these motorolla blutooth devices (not sure if they were phones or radios) with earpieces and the person could switch it to the right channel and hear a recording of the text in front of them. In order to rent the devices people would have to spend a little extra on their ticket. And if all else fails, couldn't you guys just stick a tv out there in some weatherproof box and play the video off of that?

DaveW
07-25-2007, 06:10 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I spent the last 2 days carrying out a feasibility study in the museum, and would you believe it, my conclusion was to deliver the interactive guide through MP3's accessible through bluetooth, WiFi, and internet, and to deliver an interactive map style system through Webservers, website download (for PC linkup), WiFi, Bluetooth, and InfraRed. Filesizes would be kept to a minimum.

Of course, his response to this was 'But I want an iPod docking station what just whizzes the content onto my iPod.'

He doesn't even own an I pod. He borrowed it. He's driving me up the wall and i'm loosing my temper. He's being deliberately stubborn. There's little point in me being here if he's just going to ignore my advice. I haven't spent 3 years studying software engineering to be told I don't know what i'm doing by a guy who doesn't even have a mobile phone. Grr!!

[/rant]

-Dave

Crazy Buddhist
07-25-2007, 06:17 AM
Of course, his response to this was 'But I want an iPod docking station what just whizzes the content onto my iPod.'
-Dave

Ask him for a written specification - not in terms of technology but in terms of what he wants the end experience for users to be. Point out that your job is to take his wishes and examine what is and is not feasible.

Then you take the written speciffication and reply in a written report. (probably just printing the one I assume you have already done in a different typeface? :D :D :D )

If you don't have it in writing this guy is gonna end up in a baby strop blaming you when it all "goes wrong" - i.e he doesn't get the result he wanted because instead of specifying the result he tried to tell you the answer.

DaveW
07-25-2007, 06:37 AM
I gave him a 17 page report with 3 Appendices. He's also got the report of the Harvard Intern who was here before me, who came to the same conclusions. In writing.

Meeting at 2 o'clock. It's my third day. And I'm gonna piss off the boss.

Just great. 7 more weeks of this ****. At least I have nothing to do but piss around till 2. *sigh*

-Dave

Crazy Buddhist
07-25-2007, 06:58 AM
Has he given you a written specification?

If not, at that meeting, I would just go about asking him questions: what he wants the end result to be in terms of user experience, then document that and turn it into your written brief. Memo it to him and ask if you have it right.

If he mentions solutions carefully say "you are jumping ahead to solutions and that is where every IT project that fails does so. It is important to stick to what you want the user experience to be and forget answers at this point. Answers will come when we have a decent brief as to the desired outcome"

Good luck he sounds like a right tw@

nil8
07-25-2007, 09:29 AM
These guys are right. Without a real knowledge of the end user experience and that coming around to the reality of what IT can do, most of these type of projects are going to fall flat.

17 pages Dave? No. Big no. This guy seems to be a "I want this fixed" type, not "I want every detail". Give him a page outline and he will be much happier.

Sometimes people want things that aren't feasible in IT. Time constraint or cost restraint have a way of shutting things down.

If he continually butts heads with you about this, draft up a copy of the expense and specialized work that must be done to support exactly what he wants. He will look at the pricetag and start negotiating with you.

The only other advice I have is good luck. I've dealt with these people more than I ever wanted and they always piss me off, specifically when they're signing your checks.

DaveW
07-25-2007, 10:04 AM
If he continually butts heads with you about this, draft up a copy of the expense and specialized work that must be done to support exactly what he wants. He will look at the pricetag and start negotiating with you.

That's what it was. The software development cycle normally goes like this:

1) Feasibility Study. A cheap easy to make study that looks at the current system to see if it can be improved with the aid of IT.

2) A specifications document. A legally binding document that outlines the exact specifications. The developer is not liable for additional things not in the spec, and the client can sue the developer for not adhering to the spec.

3) A design document. Outlines schedules and development route, for the developer only.

I'll need to produce all 3 documents. First, the feasibility study looks at all possible paths and determines what is possible and what isn't possible, or if the project should even go ahead.

Then, having met with the client and determining the best route to take, we agree on some format specifications. This would be the last chance for the client to decide on the finished project. This document must be completely unambiguous but at the same time not specify any development paths-these are performed in the next doc...

...The Development doc. This is highly important because i'm not finishing the project, i'm handing it over to 3rd year students to finish off. I won't be available to help them, so they're going to need this document to be able to finish my work. And they're going to have to be good too because this isn't an easy project at all.

The feasibility study went into all the ways that this could be done, including surveys and appendices. He did read the document, but I don't think he really thought about the numbers involved, and I don't think he read the appendices. He should have. He's not come to find me for this meeting, so i'm about to go looking for him.

What a day. What a waste of time.

-Dave

Crazy Buddhist
07-25-2007, 11:55 AM
How was the meeting Dave?

DaveW
07-25-2007, 01:52 PM
Hell yeah! I managed to form an unstoppable force to face down his immovable object! turns out the earlier hypothesis, that such a thing would destroy the universe, was incorrect. I managed to change his mind.

Now the only problem is, I need to make sure it stays changed. Me and some of the guys who managed to change his mind have decided that first thing tomorrow we get the official specifications document done. Then i've got him. Anytime he tries to screw me over, I just flag him to the official spec.

Unfortunately, I need to ensure that I can in fact provide everything in the spec. So it's still got a long way to go. On the flip side, Airbozo gave me a phone today, and we're meeting on Friday for lunch. Heh, I can take as long a lunch break as I want and no-one cares. The place I work is mad. I spent all day today downloading games and demos to my laptop on the 10Meg Internet and browsing TBCS.

I also started setting up my laptop to be doing more productive things than bombing the Russians in Defcon, so I can probably get some old' Forum maintenance done while waiting for something to work, or a person to get back to me, or whatever.

I'll host my feasibility study for those who are interested at a later date. I'd like to keep this discussion going, because I know you guys can contribute something to this tech job!

-Dave

Drum Thumper
07-25-2007, 02:22 PM
Hell yeah! I managed to form an unstoppable force to face down his immovable object! turns out the earlier hypothesis, that such a thing would destroy the universe, was incorrect. I

Nice going. You just killed Chuck Norris. :p

nil8
07-25-2007, 02:24 PM
So what is the plan now Dave?

Crazy Buddhist
07-25-2007, 02:35 PM
Excellent news Dave. It really does help to pin this sort of Idiot down with paper.

DaveW
07-25-2007, 03:57 PM
Plan is to get him on a corner where I can cut all the deals. :D

I'll keep you posted. I'm giving a talk at the end and I'll be graded on what I come up with. So...I might also use this as a kind of mini-blog. Should be educational for everyone, plus I can look back on it. :)

At this point, I gotta thank Jon for the PDA, because without it this would be a whole lot harder. I just wish I could get the anti-tamper screws out to replace the battery. Damn you sony...i'll find a way. :devious:

-Dave

Scotty
07-25-2007, 07:52 PM
The only way i could see his original idea working is if you had software that uploaded files to a device that had just been connected. That means you would need some software to do it, the chances that anything like that is easily avalible is slim, so half the budget would have to be spent getting a software developer to design the software to do that.
The nex step is going to take budget, you're going to need a PC or a few that have connectors for different types of MP3 players the amount i've had go from standard USB both male and female, to mini usb. Some other strange adaptor for USB, firewire are on some, then special ones for iPods etc and Bluetooth. Thats another bunch of the budget.
The final step would be to have a load of tracks that had the information that they could playback. So you put through out the museum and at the wall signs (more budget) that tell a user 'To listen in-depth play track 11' etc. But thats recording of alot of talking. You have now either stayed just in ur budget or you haven't. So if he goes back to the idea that is the only "cheap" way i could see it being completed...
The guy obviosly doesn't know what he's talking about. He knows what he wants and he thinks that it's going to be as easy as going into a shop and buying something of the shelf. Or as easy as Windows automatically download updates... But then obviosly your budget isn't Micrsofts.

DaveW
07-26-2007, 05:31 AM
Well, I'm in today and fixing the feasibility document for distribution. The one I handed him was basically a draft copy. I don't know if i'm allowed to let you guys see it actually, because it belongs to the museum. But i'll try to explain to him that you guys are helping me to come up with technological solutions. I'll need to display the documents during my presentation anyway, so he understands that the work I do isn't entirely exclusive.

So...back to work. ;)

-Dave

Crazy Buddhist
07-26-2007, 06:14 AM
Dave

As I understand it you are an intern - work placement of some kind - and not actually under an employment contract?

If that is the case then I think you will find that technically you own the copyright on any material you create whilst at the museum, not them. If you were under an employment contract they would own it.

Matthew

Scotty
07-26-2007, 11:25 AM
He'll never know you showed us unless you tell him though ;)

xRyokenx
07-26-2007, 08:58 PM
I still say to go with the radio idea, but meh, your choice, lol. Then again, a radio license and all that probably costs a lot and is inconvenient... hmm...

Mach
07-26-2007, 11:09 PM
Dave sounds like your manager is a great guy with good ideas! :)

DaveW
07-27-2007, 09:15 AM
Erm, Dave kills this thread before you tell him about TBCS. Whilst he may not care if you get help, he will take exception at being called a madman and an idiot. (Granted he may be an internet neophyte but your co-workers likely aren't.)

My co-workers think the same thing, I assure you.

EDIT: I checked back, I only even called him a Madman. Re-reading my posts I don't think I've ever actually said anymore more offensive than that-I personally wouldn't find that offensive. The most offensive thing here would be my continual pointing out that he's not tech-savvy.

But all the same, You got me thinking that if I wanted to do it, this thread would get more attention if it were suitably named and focussed, so the next time I need to update it i'll start a new thread.

-Dave

Crazy Buddhist
07-27-2007, 12:42 PM
I only even called him a Madman. -Dave

Yeah without checking I think I called him the idiot. We could all just go back and make our posts a little more "manager friendly" ;)

Matthew

DaveW
07-29-2007, 09:23 AM
Like I said, it's not an issue. 80% of the planet thinks their boss is a nutter anyway. My boss probably thinks his boss is a nutter.

Good news, my Specifications document was approved and now i've started research. Yesterday, I wrote my first mobile program: hello world! Sniff'.

-Dave

Crazy Buddhist
07-29-2007, 11:25 AM
hello world! Sniff'. - Dave

nutcase heheheh :D:D:D

DaveW
07-30-2007, 06:44 AM
Yeah, i'm stuck now though. I'm trying to find a way to force Java ME to read non primative data from a bytestream, but it sure doesn't want to.

If anyone's ever used Java, take a look at the tools I'm restricted to with Java ME.
(http://java.sun.com/javame/reference/apis/jsr118/)
Ouch.

-Dave