PDA

View Full Version : Goldfish Tank in the Bottom of a Deep Fryer

Vertigo
07-20-2007, 10:53 PM
http://www.kilian-nakamura.com/blog-english/index.php/deep-fry-diving-for-goldfish-in-japan/

Kinda neat, thought I'd share.

chaksq
07-20-2007, 11:38 PM
Hmm... Interesting to say the least.

xRyokenx
07-21-2007, 10:59 AM
:blink blink: Wow... now I'd have to say that (at the moment) it's either this or the rehab thriller that's the strangest thing I've seen all day. In other news, it's interesting to see fish living in the bottom of a fryer... now I'm curious and want to study how that works. Hmm...

Spawn-Inc
07-21-2007, 11:51 AM
now, if could only fit a computer in there some how, maybe even 2. one water cooled and the other the oil heater.

Omega
07-21-2007, 07:35 PM

wtf?

You know what, I think I figured out why the Japanese are so crazy.

They're the only country to be hit by nuclear weapons. Just think of the psychological side effects of knowing that you got ownd. HARD.

Ironcat
07-21-2007, 08:48 PM
I don't speak Japanese so I can't know if they were discussing it in that clip but I think it's fake and here's why...

1: There's no way to get the fish into and out of the tank... unless you cool the oil enough to reach through it and grab a fish, but fryer oil cool enough to put the fish through is going to coagulate and crust over... preventing you from putting fish in it... anybody work in fast food? Think about the cold clumps of grease when you dispose of the fryer oil.
2: What happens when a fish dies? The food that sinks though is cooked and all superheated so it doesn't kill the fish wit germs but their dead bodies would just rot. And pollute the water.
3: Most importantly, where is the AIR? Goldfish live underwater but they still need to breathe air. I don't see a hose going down and bubbling merrily away and they obviously aren't going up to the surface for a breath so how do they breathe? if there's no air in there, that life expectancy went from 5-10 years to about ... oh, 1 day maybe?
4: They can't change the fryer oil. Anyone who works in fast food knows it drains out the bottom so you can sweep out all the crumbs and let gravity do your work but they can't do that here.

Ironcat
07-21-2007, 08:51 PM
Found this on a website called Boing Boing.

Update: Tamyu sez, "The actual video isn`t about the fish - in fact, they are only temporarily in the tank to demonstrate that it is really water. I assume they were removed after the segment. The real topic is the new design for an industrial deep fryer. By putting water in the bottom of the fryer and suspending the heating element above, the oil lasts longer. The crumbs are not sinking down and being burnt as with an oil only fryer. It also prevents the sort of explosion that normally happens when water and hot oil are combined. The water sinks down past the heating element and into the cooler vat before it has the chance to explosively boil. The goal is to reduce oil spending and make the deep fryer safer for employees."

Spawn-Inc
07-21-2007, 09:15 PM
I don't speak Japanese so I can't know if they were discussing it in that clip but I think it's fake and here's why...

1: There's no way to get the fish into and out of the tank... unless you cool the oil enough to reach through it and grab a fish, but fryer oil cool enough to put the fish through is going to coagulate and crust over... preventing you from putting fish in it... anybody work in fast food? Think about the cold clumps of grease when you dispose of the fryer oil.
2: What happens when a fish dies? The food that sinks though is cooked and all superheated so it doesn't kill the fish wit germs but their dead bodies would just rot. And pollute the water.
3: Most importantly, where is the AIR? Goldfish live underwater but they still need to breathe air. I don't see a hose going down and bubbling merrily away and they obviously aren't going up to the surface for a breath so how do they breathe? if there's no air in there, that life expectancy went from 5-10 years to about ... oh, 1 day maybe?
4: They can't change the fryer oil. Anyone who works in fast food knows it drains out the bottom so you can sweep out all the crumbs and let gravity do your work but they can't do that here.

1. before they added the oil they probably added the fish to the water. and since the oil is heated the water then becomes heated as well.

2. clean out!!!!!!! man that would suck....

3. that i agree with, i saw no aeration.

4. siphon it out. or they have a drain hole positioned just above or below the water line.

Eclecticos
07-21-2007, 10:15 PM
Where's all the Poop go? LoL
I have absolutely no problem with the Chinese
. .but they do need to keep there food in check.
First Cardboard Burgers now this?

tybrenis
07-21-2007, 10:18 PM
Where's all the Poop go? LoL
I have absolutely no problem with the Chinese
. .but they do need to keep there food in check.
First Cardboard Burgers now this?

Your mixing the chinese and their cardboard with the japanese and their ridiculousness.

Eclecticos
07-21-2007, 10:58 PM
I apologize. You got to Hand it to them though they make some
. .Amazing Robots!

Bopher
07-29-2007, 05:31 AM

Actually most fryer oil doesn't crust over. Some do coagulate like straight vegetable oil but I know that the corn/soy oil we use @ Wendy's actually looks almost the same warm or cold. I've worked with both kinds and like the look of the corn/soy. There is just so much "junk" added to the vegetable oil it comes out a cloudy color if the temp is even a little bit lower than 60 degrees.

As for adding the fish I think even with trans-fat free oil (corn/soy) it would mess up the gills of the fish.