PDA

View Full Version : What can I do with NT 3.5 Workstation

chaksq
07-21-2007, 12:37 PM
Heres the deal, I found a copy of Windows NT 3.5 Workstation, unopened in shrink wrap at a tag sale. I am probably going to pick it up on my way to work in a few minutes. What I want is suggestions for what I can use this for. I have several old machines.

One thought I had would be to set up a quick and simple carPC using some of the old hardware I have laying around. How feasible is this.

.Maleficus.
07-21-2007, 01:04 PM
Looks like a semi-functional OS. But if it's going to be a car-PC, why not use a new Linux distro? With NT 3.5, I'm not sure you'll even be able to play MP3s. You'll be able to do Paint in your car (not recommended) but probably not much else. Before buying it, I'd take a look at some Linux and see if it's really worth your money. From a screenshot I saw, NT 3.5 looks like a mix between 95, 98, and ME, so I don't know... It's your choice.

chaksq
07-21-2007, 01:10 PM
Actually 3.5 is closer to win 3.1 which I think we all know, I was planning on the Linux thing originally but I don't have any internet computers with a burner in them at the moment. (Pathetic I know I will soon but until then...)

I kinda want to see what other uses people come up with.

Drum Thumper
07-23-2007, 04:35 AM
How old is your hardware? I seem to remember reading somewhere that the newer processors (P4/AMD Athlon) will not run anything 16 bit.

3.5. I'm guessing it's the Workstation flavor?

.Maleficus.
07-23-2007, 09:50 AM
This is what you need. (https://shipit.ubuntu.com/)

Canonical will send you a free CD of Ubuntu in the mail. Comes with stickers I think too ;).

chaksq
07-24-2007, 12:07 PM
I don't need this and probably won't use this but it is in unopened original packaging. I found a wireless keyboard and mouse set at the tag sale and paid $10 for the wireless set and the Windows disks.

DrumThumper: It is the workstation version. Not to mention I have some really old hardware lying around two 486 laptops, and a bunch of P1 desktops.

.Maleficus. : Cool idea man, I didn't know they do that. I will request disks once I get to school.

SgtM
07-25-2007, 01:59 AM
Target practice.

nil8
07-25-2007, 09:43 AM
Yea, NT3.5 workstation is fairly useless these days.
Unless you want to take a trip down pain-in-the-ass memory lane, just leave it sealed.

Jim Beam
07-26-2007, 12:05 AM
Antiques Roadshow in 2070 maybe?

Guttenaffe
07-26-2007, 04:58 PM
I don't need this and probably won't use this but it is in unopened original packaging. I found a wireless keyboard and mouse set at the tag sale and paid $10 for the wireless set and the Windows disks.

DrumThumper: It is the workstation version. Not to mention I have some really old hardware lying around two 486 laptops, and a bunch of P1 desktops.

.Maleficus. : Cool idea man, I didn't know they do that. I will request disks once I get to school.

NT3.5 would make a good doorstops/coaster set (prob on 8-12 3.5" disk) :)

BTW:Just so ya know the wireless set wont work with the NT3.5...

I have a copy of Windows for WorkGroups(Windows 3.1.1) unopened in the shrinkwarp that includes two ISA 1Mb/s NICs and 10' CAT-2 classified RG-6 co-axal cable with BNC connectors, the required T-connectors & 50ohm terminators... but don't count on this crap to ever be more than well crap :banana:

chaksq
07-28-2007, 08:51 PM
I'll probably hold on to it and leave it unopened. Then just use linux instead like I originally planned.

calumc
07-28-2007, 09:28 PM
it might be worth something as an antique in a few years!

Crazy Buddhist
07-30-2007, 12:05 PM
but don't count on this crap to ever be more than well crap :banana:

... you know one day that crap won't be just crap any more it will be .. old crap ...