PDA

View Full Version : Vista lan problem...

dgrmkrp
07-22-2007, 09:40 AM
I wanted to put back my vista rig to do some renderings faster (using the older xp one cause it is quieter and consumes much much less $, as I use it 24/7 now.. music and tv on a bigger screen :) ), but I got the funny surprise of seeing that I can't connect to the internet anymore.. I use a modem and I just have to set my lan settings (IPs and stuff)to autodetect, DHCP enabled.. In XP it works just great and I get no problems with changing cables (sometimes a modem reset is needed), but Vista refuses to connect.. Googling the problem, it seems there are some cases online (similar yet different) of the on-board lan controller going to "sleep" (as in sleeping on the job) after a few days of normal use...

The thing is it was running perfect till I took it apart (weird, can a PC tell it was dismantled?).. I put it together and BAM, sound isn't working properly and I get the limited connectivity warning.. I restart and the sound works, lan works.. but I can't connect to the internet, even if the lil' icon in vista says so..

Anybody seen this before? I'm downloading lots of drivers on my other rig to try and fix it, but what if it is something wrong with vista? (can't be anything wrong with the hardware.. hopefully..)

Luke122
07-22-2007, 11:53 AM
Check the power management tab on the lan controller in the device manager.. make sure it's not set to "allow windows to shutdown this device to save power".

dgrmkrp
07-22-2007, 12:00 PM
10ks :)
wait.. .. .. . .

checked.. no solution there.. :( darn it.. more google-ing to do...

dgrmkrp
07-29-2007, 03:13 PM
.. well, I tried fixing my problem again.. pesky thing.. what is a brawny lil computer without a working internet connection? :(

I tried several tricks that have worked on other pcs.. none worked here.. I reordered my music and anime collection and still nothing.. one time in the past the problem fixed itself after a day.. not now :(

http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/8135/reteavistajs5.th.jpg (http://img68.imageshack.us/my.php?image=reteavistajs5.jpg)
this is what happens... latest drivers from the manufacturer, reset the modem and the adapter several times.. enabled and disabled protocols.. played with power settings.. nothing.. please help.. any network pro? anyone?

.Maleficus.
07-29-2007, 10:24 PM
I just had this problem with my little server I'm setting up. Also with my current computer. I swapped out mobos on my current computer, hooked it up in my room to my ethernet cable, nothing. Thought it was my mobo not liking the distance so I moved my PC closer. Tried with my Via Epia board yesterday, same thing. Moved it right next to my router with a different cable and it worked fine.

I'm thinking it's either the length of the cable, or the cable itself. I'm 99% sure that's what it is for me, which sucks because I'll need to get another 120ft. cable, or resort to horrible wireless.

dgrmkrp
07-30-2007, 02:45 AM
I have a 10m (30ft) cable, which came with the modem.. Doesn't work.. I have another same length, 3 times the price of the other, yellow cable, which is my dorm room cable... I had 30megs plus transfer rate with that (hard drive limited by an older hdd I was sending data to).. Also, the modem can use a usb connection (1.5m cable).. all these to no avail.. I even tried using the same MAC address on both adapters so that the modem would be fooled.. It would be a shame to let that PC collect dust just because of this :((

yet, I will try again, cause I'm desperate :( I sure hope it is from the cable, but it used to work..

cookies&cream
08-18-2007, 11:12 AM
.. well, I tried fixing my problem again.. pesky thing.. what is a brawny lil computer without a working internet connection? :(

I tried several tricks that have worked on other pcs.. none worked here.. I reordered my music and anime collection and still nothing.. one time in the past the problem fixed itself after a day.. not now :(

http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/8135/reteavistajs5.th.jpg (http://img68.imageshack.us/my.php?image=reteavistajs5.jpg)
this is what happens... latest drivers from the manufacturer, reset the modem and the adapter several times.. enabled and disabled protocols.. played with power settings.. nothing.. please help.. any network pro? anyone?

Hey i get this sort of problem on my vista only that i use a home wireless connection. I have 4 computers at home. 3 are windows xp and 1(laptop) is windows Vista. Sometimes it connects good but sometimes it doesnt. When it doesnt connect it says conected with limiteed accces(which means i cant surf the web). My wirelles connnection a wep password, even thought i put the right password, it doesnt let me its still say the same thing. Its not my wireless router because when it doesnt work on my laptop, It always works my xp computer. Then the naxt day sometimes it works some time in 2 days.
What can the problem be?:think:

calumc
08-18-2007, 11:24 AM
have you made sure that none of the ip addresses are confilcting?

dgrmkrp
08-18-2007, 02:04 PM
@calumc: Well, as I am connected with a DHCP server that does all the configs for me, and against my wishes... I don't have any settings at all... So, the problem can't be me :D

I did check with the ISP and it turns out it is their fault.. and their equipment's. But I had to lose the vista altogether, because apparently they are upgrading to fiber and have changed some stuff.. So, there is no way I can use vista with the lan activated.. And not being able to check on tbcs hourly is too much for me ;) I backed up my info and formatted the c: partition.. now, I have a clean state and no wish to re-install it, although I have the vista dvd on my bed board.. well, the problems I have with 3ds there where actually the last nail in the coffin: I can run only in software mode and after a while the performance suffers so much, I can only render pre-made scenes...

As far as I am concerned, both microsoft and the ISP failed and disappointed me...

BUT if any one ever has issues with vista... use a router.. that's what "they" told me, between the modem and the actual computers.. which is kinda stupid and redundant (plus what cookies&cream said >> he has a router and vista has problems, not the hardware), because the modem I have cost a bit and has management possibilities for 32 PCs.. 1 on USB and through hubs 31 more.. The hi tech solution they gave me was to unplug the modem for 2 minutes each time I do anything with my computers.. The modem can't take the strain of connecting to the dhcp server again and again, you know.. pff.. so, F it.. Can't wait to get back to the campus dorms.. they have a nice and sturdy wired and wireless network, with configs and all.. no dhcp, no signal loss, mac/ip/host name secured... It isn't impossible to hack ;), but gives us "food" 24/7.. I miss that..

crenn
08-18-2007, 05:53 PM
Vista has a few quirks, I've found disabling IPv6 (because I don't need it) can help sometimes.

btw, I know you've uninstalled it, but just wondering if you tried the above. Also what firewall were you using?

dgrmkrp
08-18-2007, 06:11 PM
Yep.. tried it, didn't change a thing.. I got ip v6 letters and numbers from the servers, but after the connection died I never saw them again.. I had the vista, kasperski anti-hacker and bitdefender.. all free trial version.. That didn't affect it when I used static IPs. But at home, different business.. I kinda used it a week or two, after that, no response, no more down traffic.. The thing is that there was a problem between the modem, the servers and vista. They weren't communicating properly. And still aren't.

Vista wasn't buggy at all and ran fine, except for the 2 problems with D3D and the LAN.. I found 1 issue except these: copying was buggy. Lots of files took ages to copy, and big ones took either a few minutes or an hour.. Nothing could be affected by this. My hard drives are in mint condition, with free space and non-fragmented.. Even the normal clocked cpu (2GHz) can handle the OS and run it steady, so when I ramp things up I get a 5.7 on the cpu for 2.7GHz... I thought this might have influenced something, but was wrong.. but if there is no LAN.. jeez, last time I had vista RC1 neither the LAN nor the sound worked.. now they fixed the sound ;) Nice improvement, poor choice of hardware fix ;) I am so accustomed to XP, but I will miss vista.. Gotta work a lil more and get the 64b version of ultimate tho and maybe with a 8800 gfx board I won't get the errors I get.. And about the LAN, I may end up buying a separate controller, as I have read and seen that this may fix problems.. Just make sure it is a vista certified driver/board. Damn, I rant a lot..

All in all, I have mixed feelings about this s#!7...

modmansage
08-18-2007, 10:18 PM
We've had a similar problem at work, every copy of Vista wouldn't get on the web unless you manually put in a DNS server ip.
I guess it's a good thing I work at an ISP.

LiTHiUM0XiD3
08-20-2007, 09:17 PM
here r my simple fix instructions
1. run ya vista DVD thro a paper shredder
2. curse and scream at your computer till nothing happens (usualy takes a very short time but can continue for hours depending on user satisfaction)
3. slap yourself with a linux (prefferably ubuntu seeing as its very userfriendly) book till ya can memorize every bit of it
4. reformat your hard drive and choose a OS thats actualy worth using
5. smile when ya realize that beryl makes vista's aero look like a pile of horse dung...
6. thank me for showing ya the light

cookies&cream
08-21-2007, 05:46 AM
In My opinion i think Windows Xp is better.

dgrmkrp
08-21-2007, 09:55 AM
here r my simple fix instructions
1. run ya vista DVD thro a paper shredder
2. curse and scream at your computer till nothing happens (usualy takes a very short time but can continue for hours depending on user satisfaction)
3. slap yourself with a linux (prefferably ubuntu seeing as its very userfriendly) book till ya can memorize every bit of it
4. reformat your hard drive and choose a OS thats actualy worth using
5. smile when ya realize that beryl makes vista's aero look like a pile of horse dung...
6. thank me for showing ya the light

Well, before I had vista installed I ran ubuntu with beryl :D but one thing that was quirky there was sound.. And this is very important because I use my soundcard as an electronic filter, to divide the sound stream to low and highs.. And ubuntu didn't have any support for my creative then.. It was a clean install from a live dvd, on a clean hard drive.. But I installed vista quick after and it lived happily till I got home.. That was like a 3 months life till I "killed" it. It still needs a lot of work on it, but I was almost happy with it. The cube was funny tho, and the wobbly windows.. but not that functional.. I'd rather have 2 or 3 screens ;) and normal windows :)

w0lv3r1n3
08-28-2007, 08:40 PM
I've had similar problems with networking vista
with other ( windows 2000 and XP ) computers in
my network.. Along with one of the Laptops ( both runnning
XP Pro ) would see the Vista machine and the other
one would not, no matter how much i did to try to
fix it.. I consider myself pretty fluent with Windows
and networking, but i was at my wit's end..
Finally someone at my work mentioned he was having
similar problems and he got NETWORK MAGIC..
The program fixed ALL my issues, even my non-Vista
related networking issues.. ( Like all the computers not
seeing the same shares, and I had one that never did see the
shared printer )...
Go to
http://www.networkmagic.com/
and get the free download..
I actually ended up buying it, it works great..
Just an FYI.. I am in no way affiliated with this program..
It just works!

dgrmkrp
08-31-2007, 02:03 PM
Mmm.. I had vista 32 ultimate installed.. I even have a Vista x64 disc, legal, but I'm not going to try to install it..

The thing is the drivers don't seem made for vista, the local ISP is working on its network (converting cable to fiber.. this the problem: modem freezes and I have to call the company to reset it on their end in order to change the pc.. so I need a router..) and I'm pretty sure I don't f### with settings :) Can't see myself doing that ;) The circumstances are just against me.. and others, as I have used that particular PC in another network, even at gigabit speeds.

Vista isn't that bad, but it still has some down sides.. Does your laptop run 3dsmax on it? DirectX doens't work at all.. Neither OpenGL.. that is not flawless.. Also, I think I have a pretty current system and I shouldn't have to pay for an OS that doesn't do what I want.. Luckily, I build PCs so I have access to stuff and have access to all kinds of deals from the university.. But if I were to pay to get DX10 and not even DX9 works.. It is not my fault, nor others..

I understand the 16MB issue though.. Being an on-board/laptop solution, you can't change it right? :( Does it have a PCI express mini port? You could always buy/hook up an external video adapter.. Like a gift for your wife's lappy :)

dgrmkrp
08-31-2007, 02:28 PM
Well, I would gladly take your money ;) but I can't re-sell it.. Might need it for someone else..
I know it looks exactly the same, but given my experience with xp 64, it was a cooler OS.. I mean 5-10 degrees cooler.. Maybe vista 64 is also better with the watts output and will give me an edge when modeling/rendering, if they can fix the darn thing..
I would like to test the Maxtreme drivers to see if they work with vista, but I don't have a quadro card.. yet.. Eee.. this thread is kinda old.. but if anybody has issues with vista or lan in general, I'll keep it open so you can share :) I fixed my problem with an old and classic format c:

As for the lappy.. buy a newer one and use the old as a donor for a nice mod.. maybe turn the screen 180 and make a nice "painting" of it :) or take the screen and use only that :)

Crazy Buddhist
08-31-2007, 02:45 PM
We've had a similar problem at work, every copy of Vista wouldn't get on the web unless you manually put in a DNS server ip.
I guess it's a good thing I work at an ISP.

Given ^^^ that, I would suggest here's an answer:

Get the XP running. Run CMD Prompt and IPCONFIG /ALL

Copy the settings IP Address, Mask, Gateway and DNS servers

Manually configure the Network adapters Internet (TCP/IP) properties with these same values in Vista. Plug in the cable.

dgrmkrp
08-31-2007, 03:00 PM
Doesn't work that way... If I don't set the settings to automatic, I can't do a thing.. Each address is changed on a daily basis and running an outside trace on me locates me about 600km away of my real location.. That is the only thing that doesn't change.. The IP, mask, dns and gateway all change, but in reasonable amounts.. Only the dhcp seems to have quite a steady 193.x.x.x address.. But all others change.. I've seen the IP to range from 68.x.x.x to 72.x.x.x, the mask changes 255.255.25x.0 and the other addresses keep only the same first code.. If I would set stuff manually I could at best stay connected 24 hours.. But the talking to the dhcp occurs several times a day.. I guess the ISP has it's ways.. Like I said, the previous LAN I was on required manually setting the numbers.. this one doesn't and works with 99% of computers instantly.. I am unlucky I guess.. but I can live with that.. thanks CB anyway :)

Crazy Buddhist
08-31-2007, 04:41 PM
.. I am unlucky I guess..

I think no more unlucky than anyone else reliant on Micropoo software. Definitely sounds like you need yourself a router.

Mysteriphys
09-02-2007, 05:01 PM
little late on the reply.... same advice I've been trying to give indy, is it a motorola modem? I know an Ip you can use to refresh the modem, have you had lots of computers on your network? 5 or 6 will probly do it. enter IP config screen, restore to factory, wait 10 seconds, reset modem, and in 10-30 minutes you're back to fun time online! pm me if you haven't solved the issue yet.

The Wicked
09-05-2007, 02:39 PM
The most common problem I've seen for Vista and LAN is drivers.....
sometimes you can find a driver on the manufacturers site, sometimes you can't.