PDA

View Full Version : linuxmint

yazeed1906
07-24-2007, 01:39 AM
if you are new to linux (or not) or if you really want to have some fun...check out the linuxmint distro...

you won't be sorry...:banana:

http://linuxmint.com/screenshots.html

Zephik
07-24-2007, 01:56 AM
Looks nice. But why should I choose Linux Mint over other operating systems, such as Ubuntu?

Convince me. :)

yazeed1906
07-24-2007, 02:11 AM
Looks nice. But why should I choose Linux Mint over other operating systems, such as Ubuntu?

Convince me. :)

well I don't know that I could do that, lol

but do understand that linuxmint is based on ubuntu...so there are somethings that will be the same under the hood so to speak. But the neat thing about linuxmint is that they sort of took the ubuntu philosophy of things "just working" and took it another level. I use to dabble in linux...migrating back and forth from various distros of linux and windows. Once I discover linux....I have been able to drop windows all together. I now only have one machine (out of 14) that has windows on it...and that's ONLY because I haven't figured out out to access my netdisks in linux.

there is literally nothing that I used to do in windows that has been made completely possible (and improved) in linux mint.

but don't take it from me....download the livecd and try it risk free. I think you will like it.

XcOM
07-24-2007, 10:52 AM
downloading now,

and trying soon

if it will support my wireless card than i think i may dual boot it, i had to drop feo becuase it didn't like my wireless card, Ubuntu likes it as such, see it, see's other wireless networks, but won't connect to mine.

STRANGE

XcOM
07-25-2007, 05:02 PM
i have to admit, i LOVE linux mint, It is very much like Ubuntu, but it has a better support for things, like my wireless card, before on ubuntu it couldn't connect to my wireless network, yet mint can,

Plus mint can display at 1024x768 without drivers unlike other distros.

calumc
07-25-2007, 07:07 PM
XcOM, would you recommend it for someone starting out with linux?

.Maleficus.
07-25-2007, 08:27 PM
XcOM, would you recommend it for someone starting out with linux?
If it's anything like Ubuntu then it's more than user-friendly.

XcOM
07-26-2007, 12:12 PM
yes i would recommend it, the interface is very simple yet functions excelently.

The update is very easy to use, theres also an option to install ATI/Nvidia graphics drivers for your card if you wish to do so.

And as mal said, it is very user friendly, the forum comulity is very helpful, i have had a nosie around the forum to check for problems i might have encountered. Not a single problem yet.

If you use Mals Linux In a nut shell guide, it will cover installing mint, If mal will let me i might do one on installing common apps.

calumc
07-26-2007, 01:08 PM
ive found another one mentioned elsewhere in the forums called sabayon, i looks great but does anyone have any experience with it? is it easy to use?

.Maleficus.
07-26-2007, 01:20 PM
If you use Mals Linux In a nut shell guide, it will cover installing mint, If mal will let me i might do one on installing common apps.
By all means, do so. I'll still add some stuff to mine (probably 3D drivers, a few useful apps) but otherwise it'll probably stay the way it is, so the more the merrier!

Regarding Sabayon: IIRC, Sabayon is a GUI installer for a Gentoo-esqe system. What that means is it is a functioning Gentoo system, with the Sabayon twist added. Gentoo is not an easy OS to jump right into, but like I've said a couple of times on this forum, installing Gentoo gave me most of my Linux knowledge. Sabayon takes away that lengthy and manual install by doing most of it for you, but you'll still get a good look into the system once it's done. ***Just read the Wiki, and yes, it's based on Gentoo.

If you're just beginning Linux, it's really your choice. Going from Linux Mint to Sabayon might be tough, because you'll probably be used to having things done for you. Going from Sabayon to Linux Mint might be annoying because everything will be done for you, and you'll be used to maintaining it yourself. It's up to you.

calumc
07-26-2007, 01:29 PM
think i mite get linuxmint for a try but sabayon does look f***in sexy!
but im jus lazy n want thing done for me!
thanx for the advice guys

BTW yazeed1906 u shud make the pic in ur sig in2 a link.

calumc
07-28-2007, 08:35 PM
iv just installed linuxmint and i like it. it recognised my usb wireless card straight off and it comes loaded with a good selection of basic software. and above all for me its simplicity in itself. thanks for the tip yazeed1906!

Cooper
08-02-2007, 02:43 PM
I have never messed with ISO files but I'd love to try it. Know of, or feel like wrtting a good walkthrough on figuring out which ISO you need and how to burn it?

Cooper
08-02-2007, 02:54 PM
Nevermind.. found this:
http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm

Computer-Geek
08-18-2007, 12:58 PM
I installed Linux Mint 3.0 today and am dual-booting it with Xp Pro :) So far I like it. I am on it right now lol.

LiTHiUM0XiD3
08-20-2007, 10:22 PM
lolz linux mint is almost identicle to ubun.... and jus about everything is done for u in ubun ( cept wipin ya keister ) its a basic pop in and go OS..

XcOM
08-23-2007, 06:13 PM
mint is built on ubuntu, but with a custom interface and more apps packed with it.