PDA

View Full Version : PC won't turn on T_T

xenosagarox
07-24-2007, 08:55 AM
My pc is acting retarted. It turns on and everything is honkey dorey but the monitor isn't getting any info. It stays blank and the button light stays amber/yellow. I don't use a video card and just use my mobos video output so theres no video card problem. I cracked the case open and all the cables are in securely. I turned it on again, crossed my fingers, and still nothing. I checked the front and to my confusion, only the red light was turned on. The green light stays off while the red light just stays on, not blinking or anything but just staying on. It's all odd since it was working just fine a hour ago...PLEASE HELP. I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT MY PC!!:p :p lol.

AJ@PR
07-24-2007, 09:00 AM
LoL

1st, Welcome to TBCS!

2nd, are ALL the monitor's cables plugged in all the way in?

3rd, try and test that monitor on a second computer. Then, the inverse.

Let us know how that goes. :)

xenosagarox
07-24-2007, 09:26 AM
Thanks! Anyways, tried the montor thing. The monitors work great (had to lug one of them old school crtv or w/e they're called(friggen heavy!)).But still blanks on "retard" pc:p But before that, I took out my hard drives(removed all extrenal cables first) and placed them in front of the A/C to cool them off but when I put them back, the front lights won't turn on. I'm not worrying much since thats the first thing my pc did when I tried to turn it on in the first place (no lights). I'm gonna guess turning it on and off will bring me back to the red light stage since thats what happened last time....I'm getting so weaker....no pc goodness cept my brothers crappy year 2000 laptop....:dead:

jbaldwinroberts
07-24-2007, 09:39 AM
Its strange that it just stopped working, have you tried your monitor on another pc and did it work? Did a different monitor work on your broken computer?

different monitor wire??

you could also try updating or reinstalling your motherboard drivers, software etc. Just search on Google, incase they are corrupted or something.

let me know how it goes.

AJ@PR
07-24-2007, 09:45 AM
The monitors work great (had to lug one of them old school crtv or w/e they're called(friggen heavy!)).
LMAO!
Youth.
Yeah, they're CRTs. Or CRT for short.
And if you think that's heavy, just ask MintyMadness or Airbozo how much one of their monitors weight.
They use a forklift to move 'em.

But still blanks on "retard" pc:p
"Retard" pc. :p te he he

But before that, I took out my hard drives(removed all extrenal cables first) and placed them in front of the A/C to cool them off but when I put them back, the front lights won't turn on.
LoL LoL LoL
Why the heck did you remove them?
Just asking... not that there's anything wrong with that.
I remove my video card's RAM periodically and put it in the freezer for a while.... so it knows who's in charge. :p

xenosagarox
07-24-2007, 09:47 AM
Lol. I can't do crap on my pc. Nothing shows up on any monitor. I tried them on my brothers laptop and they work just fine (kinda cool to dual monitor :D ). Thanks for your help though. I'm about to throw the damn thing out the window....

AJ@PR
07-24-2007, 09:50 AM
Lol. I can't do crap on my pc. Nothing shows up on any monitor. I tried them on my brothers laptop and they work just fine (kinda cool to dual monitor :D ). Thanks for your help though. I'm about to throw the damn thing out the window....

One fixable computer is better than no computer...
Does it 'beep' or something when turned on?

There's always a hammer...

xenosagarox
07-24-2007, 09:51 AM
LMAO!
Youth.
Yeah, they're CRTs. Or CRT for short.
And if you think that's heavy, just ask MintyMadness or Airbozo how much one of their monitors weight.
They use a forklift to move 'em.

:eek:

LoL LoL LoL
Why the heck did you remove them?
Just asking... not that there's anything wrong with that.
I remove my video card's RAM periodically and put it in the freezer for a while.... so it knows who's in charge. :p

HDD lights not turning on. Desperate measures. HAha, though doing that to the ram might cause condensation to form on them, right?

Edit::

Does it 'beep' or something when turned on?

It never makes any noise.

There's always a hammer...
I love my pc to much...better a quick death. :p

AJ@PR
07-24-2007, 09:53 AM
HDD lights not turning on. Desperate measures. HAha, though doing that to the ram might cause condensation to form on them, right?

AHaHAHAa... cool cool

I'd guess condensation would form...
I just threaten mine with calling on Chuck Norris, and condensation scurries away. :)
w00t

xenosagarox
07-24-2007, 10:03 AM
I'd guess condensation would form...
I just threaten mine with calling on Chuck Norris, and condensation scurries away. :)
w00t

Lol. Chuck norris. Anways, I just tried turnin my pc back on after removing the power cord from the pc 10 minutes ago. Still no lights. I can hear my sata and Ulra(wtf??)Ata drives spin up and when I power it off, it takes the sata drive 30 seconds to stop spinnin which is odd...Also, I don't have my drives in RAID format. I just have them hooked up to the pc(since they're two different drives anyways). On the Uata(?) one, I have it set to cable select. Could this be the problem? I added the Uata(?) one only 3 days ago and it was working fine. Maybe I should remove it for a couple of hours and throw it back in? But then all my 66.5 Gigs of movies and music would be gone:(.

edit::
every time i turn it off, it makes a short beep noise. does that count? Plus, still no light

slytherock
07-24-2007, 10:28 AM
Lol. Chuck norris. Anways, I just tried turnin my pc back on after removing the power cord from the pc 10 minutes ago. Still no lights. I can hear my sata and Ulra(wtf??)Ata drives spin up and when I power it off, it takes the sata drive 30 seconds to stop spinnin which is odd...Also, I don't have my drives in RAID format. I just have them hooked up to the pc(since they're two different drives anyways). On the Uata(?) one, I have it set to cable select. Could this be the problem? I added the Uata(?) one only 3 days ago and it was working fine. Maybe I should remove it for a couple of hours and throw it back in? But then all my 66.5 Gigs of movies and music would be gone:(.

Ok, troubleshooting time.
First your said that you have this problem since not long after you add the second drive.
-Try to turn on your computer without that drive.
a) I suspect a faulty PSU there. The amount of power require to power up the second HDD may be the cause of the problem. (removing a HDD doesn't mean reformat: you will still have your data)
b) Other possibility: boot sequence have been change cause of the second HDD. And depending on your BIOS setting, you may not be able to see the info on startup...

If the computer turn on without the drive, get into your BIOS and change the boot sequence to make the OS HDD first. then add the second HDD and see if it boot.

If that dont work,
1- Clear the CMOS (reset your BIOS)
2- Unplug everything, exept the monitor. add one component at a time, starting with the CPU. then the RAM and finally the HDD. (BOOT Beetween each addition)

Oh, other thing: Dont worry about the lights right now, they are just an indication, mine are not even plugued ;)

xenosagarox
07-24-2007, 11:35 AM
-Try to turn on your computer without that drive.

Tried that. Same old. No light, blank screen.

a) I suspect a faulty PSU there. The amount of power require to power up the second HDD may be the cause of the problem. (removing a HDD doesn't mean reformat: you will still have your data)

Well, my PSU is 450 watts. I assume thats insufficent.

b) Other possibility: boot sequence have been change cause of the second HDD. And depending on your BIOS setting, you may not be able to see the info on startup...

Lol. I can't see anything on startup right now. Just the black black soul of my evil monitor:D

If that dont work,
1- Clear the CMOS (reset your BIOS)

Tried it. Nada.

2- Unplug everything, exept the monitor. add one component at a time, starting with the CPU. then the RAM and finally the HDD. (BOOT Beetween each addition)

Back broken nada. That AMD heatsink is so annoying to put back. Stupid retaining clips.

You know. All this could be a heat issue maybe? I left my PC on yesterday from 9 in the evening on sunday to 6 in the morning which was 4 hours ago? So thats more then 24 hours that my pc was left on. I think that info is correct. I only had a hour of sleep so its hard to think right now...During that time, I was rendering in 3ds Max 9 and downloading torrents on Azures. Real heavy duty stuff on a AMD 3000+, 1 gig ram and 250 gig 7200 rpm sata drive and also listening to music and watching movies on my 160 gig 7200 rpm 3 year old Uata drive. Did I kill my PC? This isn't the first time my pc acted this way. I took my PC to a prof and he fixed it up for $200. But now, I barely have any money. Dads being a bi*** in child support and moms working in a dead end job. So I can't go to no prof.
Oh and thanks everyone for yall help!!

Greco101
07-24-2007, 12:18 PM
Unless you have your pc inside a extremely dirty case, or you have 0 airflow, odds are it's not a heat issue.

Did you do ANYTHING before?

Do you have an onboard, or addon video card?

Maybe try switching your video card (if you have one) to another agp/pci/pci-e/ slot

EDIT: There is a small possibility that you acquired a pretty bad virus but I seriously doubt that.

Bucko
07-24-2007, 12:22 PM
He said in the first post it's onboard video....

xenosagarox
07-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Unless you have your pc inside a extremely dirty case, or you have 0 airflow, odds are it's not a heat issue.

It was very dusty in there so I cleaned it out this mornin with soapy water and a vacum lol. So cheap, I know. but that was after, the problems started so I know the problems aren't caused by my cheap cleaning solution I hope! But all I have to cool all my components is one 80 (mm/cm? I'm bad with metrics) mounted on the side and the amd heatsink/fan for the cpu.

There is a small possibility that you acquired a pretty bad virus but I seriously doubt that.

Lol. I have VIRUS PHOBIA! If I think I'm infected, I freak out and whip out all my virus protection suites. I even have like 4 or 8 virus protection softwares LOL. All freeware of course.:banana::banana::banana:

Bucko
07-24-2007, 12:51 PM
It was very dusty in there so I cleaned it out this mornin with soapy water and a vacum lol.

Really????

They are like two of the worst things you could possibly choose to clean a PC's insides with.

Water is bad for electrics and a vacuum cleaner (especially when used with the brush attachment) can kill stuff from static.

xenosagarox
07-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Hmm, well I used the hose attachtment which ends in a plastic cup so I didn't think static couldn't be transferred. I think I need more sleep. Only an hour is really starting to kill me. I just hope none of the water touched my components. GAHH I'M FREAKING OUT WITH JUST THE THOUGHT OF NOT BEING WITH MY PC!! IT'S LIKE MY WIFE!!! lol:D :banana: :p

AJ@PR
07-24-2007, 01:23 PM
Ok, xenosagrox, we really like you, and want to help you, but we strongly urge you to GO SLEEP.

Talk to you tomorrow.

PS: Water + Soap + Computer = No
PSS: The only exception is if
Water + Soap + Apple = Ok + YouTube video

slytherock
07-24-2007, 02:01 PM
PS: Water + Soap + Computer = No
PSS: The only exception is if
Water + Soap + Apple = Ok + YouTube video

ROLF :D

I suggest to try with another PSU.
24hours non-stop with a comp is not a prob. I have some that run 24/7, but they all have reliable PSU. Always blame the PSU on this kind of trouble :)

Greco101
07-24-2007, 05:38 PM
He said in the first post it's onboard video....

missed it :redface:

The more I read this, the more it seems like a joke.

?

.Maleficus.
07-24-2007, 06:11 PM
Actually, I remember CHIMERA posting that he cleaned his PC in a dishwasher. From what he said, as long as you let it completely dry before turning it on again, you're all good. COMPLETELY DRY.

I suspect you missed the ATX12V cable when you reassembled today. Doing my first build, I overlooked it, and the PC would turn on but I got no video or anything. Look for a hanging 4-pin cable from your PSU and hope that you didn't cause life-long damage turning it on without it plugged in.

xenosagarox
07-25-2007, 08:00 AM
I looked over my pc after reassembling my pc and sleeping for 14 hours:D, it seems to me that my pc seems to be reading from my flash card reader thing (something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820342001 ). Every time I turn on my pc, the drives green and red lights (read lights) turn on and stay on while my PCs front lights stay off. Any ideas?

calumc
07-25-2007, 09:30 AM
unplug it?

slytherock
07-25-2007, 09:38 AM
Start by unpluguing the Flash Card Reader.
Go into your BIOS, seet the Boot priority to your HDD.
if you have the option of: Boot from external component, from USB...blablabla... set it to OFF
This should fix it. Retry, if everything work fine, replug your Flash card reader. ( Note to myself, get an external flash card reader, my internal's doing free games...)

Jim Beam
07-26-2007, 12:23 AM
"Retard" pc. te he he

Now theres a mod but it will need to be Super Strong

Crazy Buddhist
07-26-2007, 04:39 AM
You are not getting BIOS beeps (the beeps at startup) so there is a basic input output problem.
(BIOS = Basic Input Output System)
The BIOS is a chip that tells the computer how to start operating.

This comes down to:

Basic wiring problem or;
PSU cooked
MOBO cooked
CPU cooked
RAM cooked
ONBOARD VGA cooked (but then you probably would get a BIOS beep)

DO what has been said above - use only one stick of ram in the first slot - no peripherals or add ons, take out the new HD and leave only the OS HD. Only plug in yr keyboard mouse and screen and power plug.

If it won't start then you have to start ruling out the major components one by one. If you don't have spares laying around get a friend to come over with his whitebox and rip the bits out of that. You may or may not want to warn him depending on how close you are and if you think the friendship is a long term one. It should all be done still with the minimum config as above:

PSU first
RAM next
Add in yr mates external video card next - see if your onboard graphics has blown - just connect the monitor to the card
(though this would normally be indicated by BIOS beeps as its onboard it may have fried and is stopping BIOS without leading to the beeps - I've seen this before)

If you still aren't booting by this stage my guess would be that with all the friggin around you have blown your motherboard (onboard IDE or PCI/USB Controllers) or CPU. Only way you will work out which again is by testing in another host system. Then it's time to get on ebay and get a replacement part given yr financials.

xenosagarox
07-26-2007, 08:37 AM
Hmmm, tried the removing all the extra crap junks, no go. Front lights still off. I will have to try the "getting a friend and frying his parts method" (lol). But most of my friends have laptops...So I'll have to hunt for cheap parts or just take my PC to my moms friend whos a PC genius. But I think it's time to replace ol' besty. She's getting outdated by everypassing second. Lol it was supposed to be a hand-me-down to my baby brothers. Looks like they won't be getting one soon. Thanks for all yours helps guys thus far, +rep for all ya that helped.:santa:

slytherock
07-26-2007, 09:58 AM
EDIT1: I just thought to ask this.. you didn't by any chance plug your power button jumper in backwards when you reassembled, did you?

A power button have no polarity...

Crazy Buddhist
07-26-2007, 12:06 PM
A power button have no polarity...

... maybe CIA replacement powerbutton-microphones do?

it's just a theory

AJ@PR
07-26-2007, 12:15 PM
... maybe CIA replacement powerbutton-microphones do?

No no no... the CIA mics/power buttons DO have polarity... but they have a circuit to automatically route the power to where it should go. :)

Crazy Buddhist
07-26-2007, 12:29 PM
I just want to throw out there, that I am placing my money on the PSU at this point..

My money is on your money too as it happens. Might have been full of dust or just a bit knackered and the additional weight of the new drives wattage has blown it. I wrote the above and am thinking I may continue refining it as a guide to "what to do when you have no BIOS beeps" lol

Crazy Buddhist
07-26-2007, 12:33 PM
No no no... the CIA mics/power buttons DO have polarity... but they have a circuit to automatically route the power to where it should go. :)

Where should it go these days? Washington? Moscow? London? A tent in the foothills of the Himalaya ? I've stopped watching the news and don't know who is in charge.

calumc
07-26-2007, 01:50 PM
i really dont want to sound like an idiot but how the hell can a switch be hooked up backwards?!?!?!?!
its just a break in the circuit thats connected when you press the button. isnt it?

slytherock
07-26-2007, 01:53 PM
i really dont want to sound like an idiot but how the hell can a switch be hooked up backwards?!?!?!?!
its just a break in the circuit thats connected when you press the button. isnt it?
yes, totally. When you press the button, it just allow power to go form cable A to cable B.

xenosagarox
07-26-2007, 02:31 PM
Aiittee. I'll go looking for a spare PSU sometime soon. Can't order one now since I'm movin in a week and the nearest PC place is like a hour drives away. Way too far hehe :p

slytherock
07-26-2007, 02:40 PM
I know this, but I tell you man! It happens to me ALL THE TIME!! AGGH!! Now I'm starting to think i'm crazy... :(

-J

Sorry, don't want to argue you on that. Some things in electronic, like in informatic just come from fifth dimension...
I was just answering xeno...

Crazy Buddhist
07-26-2007, 03:01 PM
Aiittee. I'll go looking for a spare PSU sometime soon. Can't order one now since I'm movin in a week and the nearest PC place is like a hour drives away. Way too far hehe :p

When I need parts and have no money I drive round the neighbourhood on Garbage day looking for the whiteboxes people have thrown out. Skips are good too - or stroll into a local business and/or college and brazenly ask if they have any computers they are not using that you can use for a project. Last year alone I salvaged and rebuilt/refurbed ten computers through such stalking/begging and gave them to folk who had need and no dollar :D

... and if you find two 250W power packs ... get modding and you have 500W of power :D

xenosagarox
07-27-2007, 05:33 AM
... and if you find two 250W power packs ... get modding and you have 500W of power :D

That sounds fun...but do you know how to do that? Cuz i don't. :think:

AJ@PR
07-27-2007, 07:39 AM
That sounds fun...but do you know how to do that? Cuz i don't. :think:
Thy Search Button,
Thy Friend of Yours

AJ@PR
07-27-2007, 09:49 AM
Thy Search Button,
Thy Friend of Yours

Ok ok!
'nough waiting.

1st thread (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5188&highlight=dual+psu)
2nd one (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7018&highlight=dual+psu)
3rd (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9025&highlight=dual+psu) :)

And we can't forget Sly's Double PSU (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8082).

xenosagarox
07-27-2007, 12:57 PM
:p i was going to search but my mom wanted me to go the laundry place with her. Then the car broke down and so while I waited, I was playing Pokemon Blue version:p 8). Lol. It was my first ever video game and I loved it. Hehe thanks for the links.

Crazy Buddhist
08-01-2007, 02:16 AM
:p ... Then the car broke down and so while I waited, I was playing Pokemon Blue version:p ...

That was when you could have gone "whitebox hunting" :D

xenosagarox
08-02-2007, 02:48 PM
Yay!!! Turns out it was a blown PSU. Turns out the guy I went to ripped me off...damn jerk. I bought a 30 bux 500 watt PSU at Microcenter and my PC is running like its old self. But I'm worried about adding back the 2nd HDD. Do you think 500 watts is ok to run a AMD 3000+, 1 gig ram, 5 USB periphs, one USB flash card reader, 1 IDE HDD, 1 Sata HDD and a dvd drive? Thanks to yall that helped, plus rep for the help:)

Crazy Buddhist
08-02-2007, 03:12 PM
Yay!!! Turns out it was a blown PSU. Turns out the guy I went to ripped me off...damn jerk. I bought a 30 bux 500 watt PSU at Microcenter and my PC is running like its old self. But I'm worried about adding back the 2nd HDD. Do you think 500 watts is ok to run a AMD 3000+, 1 gig ram, 5 USB periphs, one USB flash card reader, 1 IDE HDD, 1 Sata HDD and a dvd drive? Thanks to yall that helped, plus rep for the help:)

Yes ... as in no problem at all yes. With a big "Y"

Glad it's sorted. I think we said it was probably the PSU all along :)

CrazyB