PDA

View Full Version : Can't delete folder

Greco101
07-25-2007, 12:06 AM
Some way or another, a part of SP2 (when updating my old pc) got on one of my externals...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/Diphosgene/untitled.jpg

inside there is a "SP1" folder and a "SP2" folder. Both are access denied. I checked the folder size and it's "0 bytes." I'm guessing this has something to do with the restrictions considering just a folder is a kb?

.Maleficus.
07-25-2007, 07:37 AM
Yep, you'll have to log in as an Admin to delete it. Is your account an admin account? If it is, right-click it, un-check the "Read only" box, and delete.

DaveW
07-25-2007, 10:08 AM
You know, i've had this mysterious problem before, where you can delete things in the folder but not the folder itself. If you re-boot it, then it solves the problem for me.

-Dave

slytherock
07-25-2007, 10:11 AM
Sometimes when you cant delete a folder, it's cause there's an application running in it. Safe mode is the way in those cases

Greco101
07-25-2007, 01:21 PM
Yep, you'll have to log in as an Admin to delete it. Is your account an admin account? If it is, right-click it, un-check the "Read only" box, and delete.

ya, that was the 1st thing that came to mind but when I try to delete it says access is denied, cannot delete sp1.

Sometimes when you cant delete a folder, it's cause there's an application running in it. Safe mode is the way in those cases

I know it's not running off of it because this happened when my external was hooked up to my old pc, so none of it has anything to do with this one. I'll try the safemode idea, thanks :D

Greco101
07-30-2007, 10:17 AM
Still nothing. I may have to plug it into my other machine and wipedrive it.

.Maleficus.
07-30-2007, 04:38 PM
Did you try actually logging in as in admin, or just changing the properties from within your account? An admin can do anything, so if you can't delete it like that then I don't know...

Eclecticos
07-30-2007, 11:22 PM
Easy Solution:

Download Spybot (http://www.spybot.com/en/mirrors/index.html)

Goto: Mode -=> Advanced Mode -=> Tools -=> Secure Shredder

Right Click. -=> Add Files to list -=> Hit. . Chop It Away Button.

Deletes anything anywhere.

Greco101
07-31-2007, 12:54 AM
Did you try actually logging in as in admin, or just changing the properties from within your account? An admin can do anything, so if you can't delete it like that then I don't know...

Yes I did and it still said I couldn't.

Eclecticos, I'll try that. Thanks

EDIT::
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/BlackS3ven/vbysusd.jpg

.Maleficus.
07-31-2007, 12:42 PM
Just switch to Linux and save yourself the headaches.

Download a Knoppix LiveCD. Apparently they now have a module that will let you read/write to NTFS (what Windows uses) and you can delete it from within Linux. Windows can't stop you if it isn't even on :twisted:

Greco101
07-31-2007, 12:43 PM
It wont let me touch the folders but if i check their properties, it's 0kb.

I'm not positive but I hope not. I get the same error every time no matter what I'm doing. Safe mode/swipe drive/media swiper/ etc...

.Maleficus.
07-31-2007, 02:18 PM
It wont let me touch the folders but if i check their properties, it's 0kb.

I'm not positive but I hope not. I get the same error every time no matter what I'm doing. Safe mode/swipe drive/media swiper/ etc...
Do what I said and delete it with a Knoppix CD. Windows doesn't boot so it can't stop you.