PDA

View Full Version : slow booting

calumc
07-25-2007, 09:42 AM
the other day i reformatted and reinstalled windows and everything went ok so i shut downfor the evening and went to bed. the next morning i switched it on and the post screen stayed up for about 10 mins before it booted as normal. i thought this strange so i restarted to see if it would happen again, it did. so i reset the bios and it booted normally, n 10 min wait. but the next time i restarted the same thing happened again.
anyone got any idea of whats gong on? i havent even touched any options in the bios!

just had a thought there and looked at the boot.ini file:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

is this normal? should the noexecute bit be there?

slytherock
07-25-2007, 09:57 AM
Have you install something new latelly? Software, hardware? Last time I had something like that, it was an issue with my Logitech Keyboard drivers...

calumc
07-25-2007, 10:04 AM
not a thing. like i said iv just reinstalled windows.
its weird though, if i reset the bios it works fine for the first time but second time its back like it was

slytherock
07-25-2007, 10:14 AM
Must be something in the startup sequence... Had this with a computer at work, McAfee and another spyware protect program slowed the computer like hell at startup. I desinstalled, then reinstall them and it fixed the problem... Hope that help

calumc
07-25-2007, 11:28 AM
i only got it at christmas. its not a major problem just an inconvience really. i really don't understand this because it only started when i reinstalled my windows yet it doesnt look like a software problem.
i've looked it up and that /noexecute=optin bit isnt in the standard boot.ini file. could that be doing this?

calumc
07-25-2007, 11:50 AM
not at all. windows loads fine after that. it is just a bit annoying though

slytherock
07-25-2007, 11:59 AM
Do you have another PC where you can plug that HDD? If yes, here's my suggestion:
Copy the boot.ini and put it somewhere you will remember :D
on the original boot.ini remove the line that annoy you
Try to boot.

If it dont boot:
Connect your HDD to the other comp, exchange the Boot.ini (the one you copied previously

(I had to deal with a faulty Boot.ini file once ;) and that's how I solved it )

calumc
07-25-2007, 12:03 PM
mite try that later. i spose deleting that line shouldnt do any harm if ist not in the standard one.
thanks

calumc
07-26-2007, 10:07 AM
everything working fine now. i added in the extra line and it booted fine. and il delete the extra line sometime today.
thanks for the help guys

calumc
07-26-2007, 01:57 PM
well lets just say that i'm not usin a standard copy of windows......

calumc
07-26-2007, 02:46 PM
well thats the great thing about it, it came with all those pre installed along with every other bit of software the average person could ever need!
black edition reloaded. ill say no more.

calumc
07-26-2007, 04:20 PM
ok minty, jus 4 u!