PDA

View Full Version : Any one hear use LAME for MP3's?

luciusad2004
07-26-2007, 10:25 PM
Does anyone hear use lame for MP3 encoding? I'm having trouble finding some binaries. Anyone have any help or good links?

Thanks guys.

Edit: Alright ive downloaded two, precompiled versions of lame so far and both do the same thing.

I click on the icon to run LAME and then a terminal window flashes on the screen and then quickly disappears. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong, I'm going to go through these files that came with everything and see if i can find some instructions.

.Maleficus.
07-26-2007, 10:34 PM
What exactly are you trying to do? What front-end are you using? I'd suggest Audacity. It's got a LAME plugin that seems easy enough to use. Are you on Windows or Linux?

You've probably already been here, but....

http://lame.sourceforge.net/links.php

Here's another.

http://www.guidesandtutorials.com/audacity-lame.html

luciusad2004
07-26-2007, 11:30 PM
Yeah, sorry. I'm really horrible at explaining myself so ill start from the beginning.

I'm running Windows XP and i thought i would look for an MP3 encoder because i heard the one in Itunes sucks (yes i know... itunes:dead: lol) Whenever i search via google, i always hear talk of LAME which has apparently become some what of a standard for encoding MP3's.

I've tried to download compiled binaries several times but have had trouble each time. The first time i downloaded an OS X binary which, didn't do anything at all. Now I'm on my PC in XP and I'm trying to find a binary i can work with. I don't know how to compile from source so downloading the source doesn't really help me at all.

I Have a compiled binary downloaded, I unzipped it and went to run the program. When it runs it just starts up and closes. I'm pretty sure its a Terminal application (i don't know what the terminal in windows is called) This is the second binary i have downloaded and the old one did the same thing.

I'm trying to get it running so that i can rip a CD.

Thanks for the help.

If i could give super rep it would go to Mal, your always helpful.

Edit: Ok this sorta works sorta doesn't. I found an MP3 file on my desktop and did this.

Right Click > open with > Lame

The program ran fine (and encoded my mp3 to another mp3, but none the less, it ran.)

So i think the problem i am running in to is this. The program doesn't wait for input, if it has no commands it ends. The only way for me to run it was with the above mentioned method. It's like the terminal just dies : (

Edit #2: Hold up... I'm trying to find info on using lame... does lame rip audio from a CD or does it JUST convert .wav to .MP3? If the latter i will be sorely disappointed. Most of the examples i find talk about converting .wav files. I don't have those. : ( : (

Luke122
07-27-2007, 11:21 AM
I always just ripped my cd's to MP3 from within Windows Media Player. Select the bitrate and encoding you want, disable copy protect, and select the output location. :)

Now, I just rip straight to lossless, either FLAC or WAV. :D Sound quality is waaaaayy better, but filesize is stupid. Thank God for 300gb hdd's @ $90.

calumc
07-27-2007, 11:27 AM
is lame not just a codec that can be used with ripping software?

.Maleficus.
07-27-2007, 12:16 PM
I always just ripped my cd's to MP3 from within Windows Media Player. Select the bitrate and encoding you want, disable copy protect, and select the output location. :)

Now, I just rip straight to lossless, either FLAC or WAV. :D Sound quality is waaaaayy better, but filesize is stupid. Thank God for 300gb hdd's @ $90.
Yeah, if you're just looking to rip music from a CD WMP is the best way to do it. It's super fast and very easy.

luciusad2004
07-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Um... I guess i should mention that windows media player doesn't work... for reasons that probably shouldn't be discussed here. It's not my fault though. It's my parent's PC and i guess they don't believe in paying for things. If it was mine everything would be legit.

I guess i could try winamp, or continue using Itunes. Anyone have any recommendations for a simple program that will rip a CD and give me quality MP3s?

Sorry for all the trouble guys. Thanks for the help.

.Maleficus.
07-27-2007, 01:56 PM
Winamp is good. Otherwise, VLC (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) would work I think.

luciusad2004
07-27-2007, 02:58 PM
alright, Thanks. I actually have used winamp a lot in the past, so unless they changed it i shouldn't have any problems with it. I also have minimal experience with VLC. I had it on my mac but never used it much. Thanks : )

Edit: Just thought i would list how i plan to use it and see what you might recomend

What i need/like to have

Rip CDs and convert to mp3s
Find Track/Artist/Album info, I've never had to manually edit and ID3 tag and don't really want to learn. (unless there is some unforseen benefit to to doing it by hand?)
Build and Manage my Library
Internet Radio is nice but not necessary.
Build and manage playlists

Can VLC player do these things?

nil8
07-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Uh, CDEX is easy, free, and fairly idiot proof.
It is just a ripper, but it can do id3 and id3v2 tags, create/modify file/folder name/structure, cddb query and it's free.

Works great, been around forever. Give it a shot.

calumc
07-27-2007, 07:24 PM
i use winamp pro for everything, it can do everything in your list very efficiently. im not sure if the free 1 has all the features tho.

luciusad2004
07-28-2007, 10:41 PM
I've installed winamp on my windows box and VLC on my mac because winamp isn't available for that.

Just out of curiosity. I always hear that Itunes sucks. What is it that sucks about itunes? Is it just the MP3 encoding that sucks or something more? I know I've heard that the program is supposedly pretty bloated.

I can say VLC loads faster on my mac but i did have a ton of error messages pop up and it doesn't have a library manager. I could probably get used to not having one but I'm just so used to it being there.

I was only asking because i was having trouble finding very many programs for OS X that have the features i want (i wonder why that would be:rolleyes:) so i might end up sticking with Itunes on the mac.

I'm also going to check out the CDEX that nil8 mentioned.

Thanks for everything.