PDA

View Full Version : About To Smash My Computer

AJ@PR
07-29-2007, 01:27 PM
First off, Asus' website sucks.
Second, Asus' website sucks.
Third, thanks for your help guys. :)

I wonder why Asus made their websit so ****ty.
It's like, please become more stupid so you may browse our website correctly.

I turned ON my computer now, and there's no sound. :(

WinAmp gives me an error... and wierdly enough, it tells me to check out a site in... geocities.com.
WTF?
Since when the hell is that comment in the program there?
When the hell is NullSoft going to fix that?
WTF is going on?

So I go to Control Panel, Sounds... and everything is greyed out.
:? :?

So I try to run directly the RealTek audio program from Asus (did I mention their website sucks?), but it does nothing.
Double click... digital nothingness.

So I went to one of the crappiest places I've been in all my internet experience::: http://support.asus.com
OMG
Guys, if you don't HAVE to go there, don't.
You'll save your soul. Really. That website sucks.

So I finally manage to get to the audio program.... Windows XP... the only file available for Windows XP. Download... ok. Download. All 37 MBs of it.
Win2K? Nope...
Win2003? Nope...
WinXP 64-bit? Nope...
Vista? Nope...
Vista 64-bit? Nope...
Windows XP. Yeah... that's the one. :)

Aha! Finished downloading. Crappy website was useful for something at least.

Extract the program.
Run the installation application...
"Does not support this operating system: WNT_5.1P"

Erm... WTF.

I'm going out for a drive.
This is stressing me out.
I don't get it.
Damn it.

slytherock
07-29-2007, 01:46 PM
For realtek audio drivers, I've always found this site to be the best help (http://www.realtek.com.tw/default.aspx)

:)

calumc
07-29-2007, 01:49 PM
yea asus' site is really bad, its like they dont want you to find anything!
im with sly, you should have gone straight to realtek, save yourself this headache

AJ@PR
07-29-2007, 01:59 PM
Ok guys... thanks!! :)

I'm more calmed down now.
A quick spin in the car always helps... and the Lord and Minty know the air conditioning really cools now.

Anyways, sorry for the moaning and 'itching earlier.
I'm going to hit Sly's site to fix this thing. :)

Thanks Sly, Thanks CaluMc

I'll update ASAP

AJ@PR
07-29-2007, 02:35 PM
:( Downloaded... installed... rebooted... not working. :(

I'm going to download their second file to see what's up.
The non-HD audio.

slytherock
07-29-2007, 02:43 PM
Just to be sure: you enabled it in the Bios? right?

Use a driver cleaner before you reinstall your audio driver: here (http://www.driverheaven.net/driverheaven-tools-discussion/76416-driverheaven-driver-cleaner-professional-edition-1-2-a.html)

AJ@PR
07-29-2007, 03:00 PM
Just to be sure: you enabled it in the Bios? right?

Use a driver cleaner before you reinstall your audio driver: here (http://www.driverheaven.net/driverheaven-tools-discussion/76416-driverheaven-driver-cleaner-professional-edition-1-2-a.html)

1- BIOS: Haven't touched it.
Was working before.
Going to check now.

2- Downloaded both RealTek drivers... the High Def and the AC'97.
Neither worked.

Going to try your driver cleaner Sly, then reboot, then reinstall.

Lord, please... :)

AJ@PR
07-29-2007, 03:05 PM
Didn't download DriverCleaner... Maybe later... I'm... w/e.

Don't worry 'bout it.

AJ@PR
07-29-2007, 03:47 PM
Uninstalled the drivers... reinstalled... nothing.

Reverting to Computer-Smashing Mode.

slytherock
07-29-2007, 03:55 PM
Wich board is it?

Crazy Buddhist
07-29-2007, 04:36 PM
no promises but you could try this:

Check you have the right Realtek version. I've encountered problems with that crapo on Asus before and you have to have the right one. Best off using the original driver disk from the board (you have it?) as below:

1) Deinstall Realtek drivers and realtek software
2) after you de-install the drivers go into control panel --> add/remove hardware --> Uninstall/Unplug a device --> Uninstall A device --> Check "Show Hidden Devices" --> See if anything realtek is left on there and if so remove it.

3) Shut down the PC

4) Reboot & check onboard sound enabled in BIOS

5) Re-install ALL the motherboard drivers in their normal order.

If that doesn't work try again and clear the CMOS between shutdown and reboot.

Driverguide.com (http://www.driverguide.com/) is excellent for finding drivers. Often easier than the manufacturers site. O/W if you havent got the disk someone on here could send you the iso if they have the same mobo.

Xpirate
07-29-2007, 05:12 PM
You're not alone with your Asus problems. It took me a long time to finally figure out which bios upgrade to do that would resolve this nasty keyboard issue that I had.

My friend had a sound driver issue with his Asus board that we were never able to fix. We finally just got new sound card and disabled the flaky on-board sound.

AJ@PR
07-29-2007, 05:31 PM
Wich board is it?

Asus P5W DH.

Sorry for the late reply.
Was out washin' the cars... (aka, Stress Relief Therapy)

slytherock
07-29-2007, 05:44 PM
I don't have the courage to go further in my exploration.
Here's what I found:
Asus P5W DH - Problems + Fixes Thread (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110193)

Scotty
07-29-2007, 06:18 PM
Yea Asus need to sort out their site they have needed too for the past i don't know how many years.
Sometimes i can find things easily other times they just don't exist i sware.

Eclecticos
07-29-2007, 08:39 PM
I dunno if this will help or not, but I had to download audio drivers from a similar model mobo off the asus website to get mine working.
I have the P5N32-SLI D . .I had to download the P5NSLI-P audio drivers to get my sound working.

AJ@PR
07-30-2007, 04:02 AM
I don't have the courage to go further in my exploration.
Here's what I found:
Asus P5W DH - Problems + Fixes Thread (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110193)
Gonna check that out. Thanks. :)

Yea Asus need to sort out their site they have needed too for the past i don't know how many years.
Sometimes i can find things easily other times they just don't exist i sware.
Yeah... Sly's supplied website is really good.

I dunno if this will help or not, but I had to download audio drivers from a similar model mobo off the asus website to get mine working.
I have the P5N32-SLI D . .I had to download the P5NSLI-P audio drivers to get my sound working.

Hmm... what the hell. Anything's possible.

IDEA:::
Could static have destroyed the audio chips/board?

The difference I've done to my computer has been physical-wise.
Up until yesterday, everything was working, but because of PSU troubles weeks ago, she had her case opened up. One PSU installed... the second PSU on the side... cables running in/out.

Audio and everything worked fine.
So I installed the second PSU into the case, wired that up.... tidied up the cables inside the case a bit (so I can say I have "something" of 'Cable Management'), finished building her... and off.

First boot-up after build, no sound.
So, unless I'm missing something very basic... wtf?

Maybe static?
:?

Bah, in any event... it could be worse. :)

Crazy Buddhist
07-30-2007, 04:14 AM
Maybe static?

Quite possibly .. but there is also the fact that onboard Realtek stuff is always made of some kind of gooey poo from what I can tell and their software made from something worse ... I have almost always ended up just turning it off and putting in an alternative soundcard, because ...

... even when you (finally) get it going the Realtek SoundRack (???) software is crapo ... keeps saying you have unplugged a jack when you haven't and cutting yr tunes halfway through a song :( :( :(

"down with Realtek"

Matthew

AJ@PR
07-30-2007, 04:25 AM
... even when you (finally) get it going the Realtek SoundRack (???) software is crapo ... keeps saying you have unplugged a jack when you haven't and cutting yr tunes halfway through a song :( :( :(
LMAO!

Curious... I found the pop-up of the software when you unplugged/plugged something useful... but then again, I only used it once or twice. BUT, once I tried to connect my Logitech Z5500 system, all three cables... Uuuufffff....
:p She went crazy with the plug/un pop-ups.
LoL
I just left my plain Creative stereo system for the computer.
The Z5500 for Halo/xBox.

I didn't know they where that bad.
When this mother board arrived for this new rig, I hadn't had a new computer in years... so I was all happy and giddly to have all those 6 jacks, and the optical port.

Didn't know RealTek had big issues.
Everything has worked fine up until now.

Darn it.
I turned it OFF in the BIOS... boot... reboot... ON in the BIOS... boot... reboot... nothing. =\

I have a "USB-plug-metallic-round-puck-thing-that-has-3-jacks-for-music" thing that might help in the mean time.
If the onboard RealTek is busted, any recommendations?

Eclecticos
07-30-2007, 04:50 AM
Buy a sound card. . and Slip it in a PCI Slot.

Here (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102003) is a cheap 7.1 Audigy SE

Crazy Buddhist
07-30-2007, 12:47 PM
If the onboard RealTek is busted, any recommendations?

It probably isn't - it's probably just conflicting with something else .. which is why my "step 5 in reluctantly dealing with realtek" problems guide was:

... wasn't sure if you spotted that :)

Crazy Buddhist
07-30-2007, 12:55 PM
ps assuming yr running XP, This is the driver you need according to Asus (http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/ALC882/ALC882M_V51005247.zip) ... is that the one you have?

(This one for Vista 32bit (http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socketAM2/M2N8-VMX/Audio_Vista_V6015306.zip))

AJ@PR
07-30-2007, 05:51 PM
Buy a sound card. . and Slip it in a PCI Slot.

Here (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102003) is a cheap 7.1 Audigy SE

I was going to order that, but today @ CompUSA I saw that card for $30... so I bought it here.

It probably isn't - it's probably just conflicting with something else .. which is why my "step 5 in reluctantly dealing with realtek" problems guide was:

... wasn't sure if you spotted that :)
Ok, I'm going to reinstall all the drivers... going to search for that motherboard CD now...

ps assuming yr running XP, This is the driver you need according to Asus (http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/ALC882/ALC882M_V51005247.zip) ... is that the one you have?

(This one for Vista 32bit (http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socketAM2/M2N8-VMX/Audio_Vista_V6015306.zip))
Thanks!
That's the one I downloaded and tried to install.
In any event, I'm downloading it again right now... another try won't kill no kittens.

Ok, so AGENDA:::
1-- reinstall all the motherboard drivers
2-- I'm going to 'reset' the BIOS. Couldn't hurt, could it?
3-- If all else fails, I'll install the card I bought, the one Eclecticos recommended.
4-- Hammer?
5-- Hey guys, could an upgrade to newer BIOS firmware help? I know it won't do jack for the sound... but for the computer per se?

Thanks!!! :D :D

AJ@PR
07-30-2007, 06:09 PM
Ok, so AGENDA:::
1-- reinstall all the motherboard drivers
2-- I'm going to 'reset' the BIOS. Couldn't hurt, could it?
3-- If all else fails, I'll install the card I bought, the one Eclecticos recommended.
4-- Hammer?
5-- Hey guys, could an upgrade to newer BIOS firmware help? I know it won't do jack for the sound... but for the computer per se?

Ok, I officially don't know what I did with the motherboard's CD.
It'll probably appear under my mouse two hours after I replace this computer in the future.

OnwarDs!

AJ@PR
07-30-2007, 07:06 PM
Ok, I don't know what the hell is going on... but the universe is definitely testing me.

I disabled the onboard audio. Turned OFF.
Installed the Audigy.
And now, the freaking CD from Creative with the drivers is missing!
WTF?!?!!

Bah.
I'm downloading from Creative.com anyway... =\

slytherock
07-30-2007, 07:10 PM
This computer is cursed. You need an exorcism
JAxUCnIbMnk

:D

AJ@PR
07-30-2007, 07:38 PM
^^^ LMAO!

Well, thanks for the upbeat humor!

I downloaded the Audigy software... and now I have sound!
yay!

I wonder what the heck happened to my onboard sound... :?

moon111
07-30-2007, 08:43 PM
When I did tech-support, a professor from a fancy U.S. college called about no sound. He had flash bios, etc, etc. Turns out he didn't have the speakers plugged in.

Anyways, this might sound simple but it's worked for me many times in the pass. Unplug the computer. Now hold in the power button steady for about 30 seconed. Plug back in and give it a try.

For the driver, you could always use the disk that came with the motherboard. :) I also dislike ASUS's website. I was thinking about trying to update my BIOS once, but I could never get it downloaded.

Crazy Buddhist
07-31-2007, 01:30 AM
5-- Hey guys, could an upgrade to newer BIOS firmware help? I know it won't do jack for the sound... but for the computer per se? Thanks!!! :D :D

I try and avoid flashing/upgrading BIOS (on anything) unless there is a known issue that is troubling me with the old one. Especially if you are in the middle of resolving a hardware issue - unless the new BIOS you are installing is known to address that issue.

yazeed1906
07-31-2007, 04:16 AM
^^^ LMAO!

Well, thanks for the upbeat humor!

I downloaded the Audigy software... and now I have sound!
yay!

I wonder what the heck happened to my onboard sound... :?

it for this very reason that I NEVER use onboard sound...lol, too many problems esp. considering I am going to want better crisper audio that only an upgrade can give.

glad you got it fixed...:up:

Crazy Buddhist
07-31-2007, 04:52 AM
it for this very reason that I NEVER use onboard sound...lol, too many problems

I've always been the same .. til I got my current Mobo - a MSI K8N SLI which has an onboard Creative 24bit sound processor which works flawlessly and doesn't hog CPU time.