PDA

View Full Version : Aw sh#@

vidas7de7jesus7
07-30-2007, 01:19 AM
Well, my uncle's IBM R50e recently crashed and burned. Unfortunately, it is his work laptop and was not backed up. So, in true style, he was hoping that I could get it up and running again. So, here's what happened. Using the built in IBM Rescue and Recovery program, I copied what I thought to be his C drive and proceded to restore it to a like new condition. Of course, this was after much deliberation and thought, not a spontaneous action. Of course, as it would happen, I now am stuck. The computer works fine, but I now have three gigs of random files sitting on my external hard drive. The biggest folder is marked RECOVERY and is filled with *.cri and *.imz files. There are also a few other folders as well as a few files. There is a configuration file marked BOOT, an autoexec.bat file, and a few more batch files. Lots of junk and no solution. Basically, I'm asking am I screwed, or is this a disk image that I just don't know how to unlock. Any and all help is welcomed.

Spawn-Inc
07-30-2007, 02:45 AM
sounds like a disc image to me. when you said the pc is up and running again does that mean he has all his stuff and what not? if so then i would get rid of the stuff on the external. otherwise just try to use the recovery program to read the files and see what they are.

Crazy Buddhist
07-30-2007, 03:49 AM
From redbooks.ibm.com (http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpapers/pdfs/redp3951.pdf):

You need this software from what I can tell: "ThinkVantage Technologies: Using ImageUltra Builder"

"Repository
All maps and modules are stored in a repository. When the repository is viewed through the ImageUltra Builder interface, the maps and modules are identified by descriptive names that you create. The actual file names displayed in My Computer or a DOS window are assigned by the ImageUltra Builder program. The following is a list of file extensions and description used for the files in the repository:

– .CRI: Metadata about the module. This information is used within the ImageUltra
Builder interface.
– .DMA: Driver maps
– .BMA: Base maps
– .IMZ: Compressed module source"

I haven't gone into it more than that - sorry short of research time this morning but I think in that pdf document and the IBM notepad/thinkpad forums you will find your answers :) Good luck.

AJ@PR
07-30-2007, 04:04 AM
^^^ I think you're set with what he said.

vidas7de7jesus7
07-30-2007, 04:28 PM
Is there a different software I could use, or this the only way. Problem is, this is a licensed software which will cost me a pretty penny. I'll try the trial copy and pray to the gods that it will work.

Crazy Buddhist
07-30-2007, 04:34 PM
Is there a different software I could use, or this the only way. Problem is, this is a licensed software which will cost me a pretty penny. I'll try the trial copy and pray to the gods that it will work.

If it's made backups then you have it already somewhere !

or ... its on the licence of the IBM