PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Internet Help.

Eclecticos
07-30-2007, 07:58 AM
I know I should know this, but I dont.

I'm wanting to get 2 other computers on the internet.
Now i've found a Cheap Router (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16833118004) and Wireless Adapters (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16833315041).

I'm wondering if these will work togethor?

If anyone knows some general rules of thumb for setting up this type of network up or links I'd sure appreciate some help.

Crazy Buddhist
07-30-2007, 08:22 AM
I'm wondering if these will work togethor?

Certainly no reason at all why they would not work together. Setting up the network is not too difficult. If you need help when you have your hands on the kit you are welcome to call or skype me for assistance.

This thread (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9529)has useful information for you. On page two of that thread I posted a security summary for wireless networks.

Eclecticos
07-30-2007, 08:42 AM
I was comparing the Specs. .Thats what makes it confusing:

Edimax EW-7128G IEEE 802.11b/g PCI:

Standards IEEE 802.11b/g
Data Rates up to 54Mbps
Security 64/128-Bit WEP, 802.1x, WPA, AES
WPA/WPA2 WPA
Interface PCI
Frequency Band 2.4GHz- 2.4835GHz
Modulation OFDM with BPSK, QPSK, 16QAM, 64QAM (11g)
BPSK, QPSK, CCK (11b)
LEDs TX/RX, Link
Transmitted Power 16dBm ~ 18dBm

Level One Router Model WBR-3406TX:

Standards IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g
Device Management Web-Based
Security Firewall:
NAT Firewall with SPI mode
DoS Detection

64/128-bit WEP, WPA and 802.1x
WPA/WPA2 WPA
Ports 1 x 10/100M WAN; 4 x 10/100M LAN
LEDs Power x 1
Status x 1
WAN: LINK/ACT x 1; 10/100 Speed x 1
LAN: LINK/ACT x 4; 10/100 Speed x 4
Reset x 1
Data Rates up to 54Mbps
Operating Range Indoors: 25m @11Mbps; 100m @5.5bps
Outdoors: 150m @11Mbps; 250m @5.5bps
Modulation DSSS BPSK/QPSK/CCK, OFDM/CCK
Frequency Band 2.4 GHz to 2.484 GHz
Antenna 2dBi gian dipole fixed external antenna
Channels 14 Channels (max), depending on regulatory

I was thinking. . well does this one have to have the. . WB5JVCD,OMG90.5 BJC,801.134VQ :D

.Maleficus.
07-30-2007, 08:59 AM
Generally most wireless things will work together. A Wireless B will work with both B and G, and G with both G and B. I'm not sure about A or N, but I know G and B are somewhat backwards compatible. G being better than B though. There are a few things you need to take into consideration though. Distance. Distance has a major effect on the transfer. Cordless phones. It may not seem like it would have any effect, but if you have a cordless phone running at 2.4ghz frequency, it will disturb you internet connection.

Crazy Buddhist
07-30-2007, 09:38 AM
I was comparing the Specs. .Thats what makes it confusing:

Edimax: Standards IEEE 802.11b/g Security 64/128-Bit WEP, 802.1x, WPA, AES
WPA/WPA2 WPA

Level One Router Model WBR-3406TX: Standards IEEE 802.11b/g Security 64/128-bit WEP, WPA and 802.1x WPA/WPA2 WPA

I was thinking. . well does this one have to have the. . WB5JVCD,OMG90.5 BJC,801.134VQ :D

I've cut out all the crapo and you can see what matters ^^^^^ they are compatible. You don't need everything to match. As long as both bits of kit share
a) one of the standards 802.11a/b/g, and
b) one of the security methods WEP/WPA/802.11x WPA2

You will be OK. In this setup they are fully compatible.

What you will actually get with these two pieces of kit is a connection at up to 54Mb/s, on the 802.11g standard (given not too much concrete, metal, or microwave ovens stand between the kit).

And what .Maleficus. said is spot on: there is backwards compatibility built in to the standards. (a) was deployed first, then (b), then (g). so (g) stuff works with both (b) and (a) stuff and (b) stuff works with (a) stuff.

The main exception to this is vendor specific technologies. D-Link used to have a speed dooubling technique on some of their (g) stuff that made it work at up to 108Mb/s ... but only with other compatible D-Link kit. The same is probably true to some extent of (N) because it's not fully developed or only recently fully developed as a standard (I'm not day to day up to speed on this).

You can proceed to checkout. :D :D :D

Crazy Buddhist
07-30-2007, 09:41 AM
It may not seem like it would have any effect, but if you have a cordless phone running at 2.4ghz frequency, it will disturb you internet connection.

Always worth remembering their are eleven channels in the Wifi spectrum. Many routers are set to one by default. Changing from the default channel to another often solves these kinds of interference problems and can really boost your signal.

Crazy Buddhist
07-30-2007, 10:54 AM
In my experience, my wireless B devices hinder the net performance of my wireless G devices (wifes IBM is Wireless B atm..) when my wife is online browsing around (even doing something like looking at a blog or googling something, my ping in-game in BF2 doubles. BUT if she uses the desktp hooked to the TV (wireless G) I get very little difference in my ping. -Jeremy

This might be happening because your router is not capable of handling mixed modes at the same time. Some routers will connect to a wireless g puter with a g connection and a b computer with a b connection concurrently. Some switch the whole network over to b as soon as the b puter appears on the scene. Others say they can do both but experience performance drops on doing so.

Greco101
07-30-2007, 10:56 AM
Very good information Buddhist.

+rep

Crazy Buddhist
07-30-2007, 12:14 PM
why ty dear sirs :)

Bopher
07-30-2007, 12:16 PM
It may not seem like it would have any effect, but if you have a cordless phone running at 2.4ghz frequency, it will disturb you internet connection.

I know this all to well. I have 2 Tornado 54Mbps Wireless cards in my desktops and a cordless 2.4 Ghz phone. My brother calls me up to get some wireless networking info and I tell him my setup has been working fine and I sit down in front of my desktop and lose my internet connection. Every time I would get up to check the modem, router, yada yada, my internet would come back. Took me a while to figure out it was the stupid phone.

I'm running a Linksys Wirelesss router and the 2 afore mentioned Tornado 122 (?) I think thats the model, Cards. My laptop and Palm bothy are running on wireless g. I think the only thing hardwired anymore is my PS2.

Crazy Buddhist
07-31-2007, 01:36 PM
Took me a while to figure out it was the stupid phone.

Bopher ..

If you have the phone still and have not tried switching the channels on the router through all available ones and testing the effects, it is worth a try. This is where that can sometimes solve the issue.

CrazyB