PDA

View Full Version : HP HDX Notebook - ZOMG

Indybird
07-30-2007, 01:26 PM
I had heard of this a long time ago and saw that it was going to be a massive multimedia-desktop-replacing notebook. Its finally been released. Its got a 20" Widescreen (1680x1050), Full Size Keyboard, and many high performance options such as Intel Core 2 Duo X7800 2.6GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, nvidia 8600XT Graphics. It is supposed to compete with the dell M2010, and it does just that. You get far more performance for the exact same price. The only things I'd want from the dell would be the gyroscopic remote, the pop-up-slotloading drive and the detachable wireless keyboard. Since those are just gadgety, I wouldn't ever get the M2010 over the HDX and its performance. The stock configuration (Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2GHz, 2GB DDR2 RAM, nvidia 8600XT) got more than 9,000 in 3DMark 05.

Heres (http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&a1=Usage&v1=Extreme+Multimedia&series_name=HDX_series&a1=Usage&v1=Extreme+Multimedia) a link to it on the hp site.

I want one sooo bad, but there's about a million things need to get before it if I ever had $3000.

-Indybird

Mitternacht
07-30-2007, 02:56 PM
If I had 3 grand, I'd grab a Macbook Pro 17" widescreen.

Zephik
07-30-2007, 03:17 PM
If I had three grand, I wouldn't have a minivan. lol

Still, thats a pretty cool laptop. I'd probably go for the Macbook series of laptops or the XPS series though. Something about that one that I don't quite like, can't really put my finger on it though. It might be that silver thing on the lid, maybe. But 20 inches of screen, thats insane! I've never had a monitor larger than 17, and that was with a desktop! lol

Heres some better pictures, I couldn't really get a good look at it on the website. Things weren't loading or something.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3686

Indybird
07-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Though the specs are on par w/ the Macbook, the Mac can't really do much gaming, which the HDX is more than capable of.

Exley
07-30-2007, 04:45 PM
If I had three grand, I wouldn't have a minivan. lol
lol

i had a bad experience with HP laptops but it does look like a very nice machine

Jim Beam
07-31-2007, 10:56 PM
i had a bad experience with HP laptops but it does look like a very nice machine

I agree I've had a bad experience with everything HP it's like they put some kind of mileage chip in everything they build.

Indybird
08-01-2007, 12:07 AM
Its was kinda funny, my friend wanted to get a new desktop a while ago. Back then his parents didn't know me good enough to let me build him one. So I recommended that we order it of teh net. His dad didn't want to do that either. So, we went over to Circuit City and picked up a pretty nice HP Media Center for $1050. We set it up, and this exactly what I did:
1) Uninstall all the bloatware (HP media center games, HP bloatware, Norton, blablabla)
2) Get Firefox.
3) Get Windows Updates

Once you do those three steps with your new HP, then you got a pretty nice computer...

-Indybird

Quakken
08-02-2007, 06:58 PM
That thing is freakin' sweet. Thank goodness for the HP employee discount! only 2500 for me... but that's never going to happen though.

Bloatware lol

Dell is finally getting the right idea and not putting bloatware on a line of computers. But it's a "special" type of computer for "small business" and probably costs "a lot more". Oh well. That's the good thing about building your own, nothing but windows. Or linux, if you swing that way.

TheGreatSatan
10-17-2007, 12:41 AM
On my daughter's HP I uninstalled everying but Audio and Video and that 1GB of RAM runs pretty smooth.

Quakken
10-17-2007, 04:19 PM
My 1gig of ram runs pretty smooth too.

simon275
01-09-2008, 03:10 AM
There is a variety of different types of memory, and it is important that you choose memory that is compatible with your notebook computer (http://www.ehpdeals.com/).

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/lolcat-funny-picture-moderator1.jpg

SgtM
01-09-2008, 10:14 AM
lol

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f186/sgtm_usmc/tbcs/lolcats-funny-pictures-submissions.jpg

Greco101
01-10-2008, 12:38 AM
lol

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f186/sgtm_usmc/tbcs/lolcats-funny-pictures-submissions.jpg

lmao, I'm not gunna lie... I've thought that before.

Busted my ass to help someone and didn't get a rep :p

Greco101
01-10-2008, 12:53 AM
Never had any problems with HP desktops but their laptops are notorious for pretty much everything.

Ever buy an HP laptop... buy the max warranty. (Especially since I would have been charged 200 dollars for a CD drive replacement without it!!)

Zephik
01-10-2008, 03:35 AM
Never had any problems with HP desktops but their laptops are notorious for pretty much everything.

So true.

Although I haven't played around with their newer stuff yet...

Quakken
01-19-2008, 12:04 AM
We've had a new one for a few months now, No problems. This is mid-2007, And I must attest to liking their design.

Luke122
01-19-2008, 12:47 AM
Dell is finally getting the right idea and not putting bloatware on a line of computers. But it's a "special" type of computer for "small business" and probably costs "a lot more". Oh well. That's the good thing about building your own, nothing but windows. Or linux, if you swing that way.

That's the Vostro line.. it's aimed at small businesses. I've got two of them here, and they are not too bad. Pricing was on par with similarly spec'd laptops, and the build quality is pretty good. Too bad they are ugly as hell... I was offered one, and said no way, I'll keep my old Inspiron. Lol...

FuzzyPlushroom
01-20-2008, 01:12 AM
My neighbor got a Turion-based HP Media Center laptop. XP-MCE, gF6100, gig of ram. He's even rougher with equipment than I am, and it's survived... I hope that's a testament to modern HP quality, as opposed to lack thereof... but with Bestec PSUs in their desktops these days, I'm not too optimistic.

How much battery life does the HDX get? Haha!