PDA

View Full Version : Server Stuff

.Maleficus.
07-30-2007, 07:49 PM
Ok, so I just finished setting up my first server. Ubuntu 6.06 LAMP. Install was pretty straight forward, and pretty easy. I set it up mostly with WebMin, which was super easy. But now, I have a few questions.

1. Security? What can I do to make this more secure? I don't want it to be easy to hack, or f*ck with. What can I do to increase the security of it?

2. FTP? I set up ProFTPD, and I can access Linux files from Windows, but how to I transfer? Would I use FireFTP on Windows (I have it on Firefox)? I've never really used it, so I think that's what I would use?

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help.

calumc
07-30-2007, 08:41 PM
seceurit i know absolutely nothing about but with the ftp you can use any client you wish, filezilla is the only one ive ever used and its meant to be one of the best. its very simple to use and ive never had a problem with it.
Hope some of this helps

.Maleficus.
07-30-2007, 09:16 PM
seceurit i know absolutely nothing about but with the ftp you can use any client you wish, filezilla is the only one ive ever used and its meant to be one of the best. its very simple to use and ive never had a problem with it.
Hope some of this helps
Yeah, I actually just figured out the FTP stuff. It was actually really easy.

I decided that I was going to try out Joomla! too, but I couldn't get it to install. I've narrowed it down to 2 reasons: 1. I put the files in the wrong Apache directory, and 2. Because I don't have a domain name yet. It's probably a mix of both, so I'm not going to worry about that until I buy a name. I still need some security tips though.

Edit: Also, in the tutorial, I was supposed to use port 8080 for HTTP. To do that, I had to change my router password and since I didn't want to do that, I just left it at port 80. Is that bad? Am I going to seriously f*ck our network and leave our house at risk of massive attack? Dear God I hope not... I'd be in sooo much trouble...

Edit 2: Yep, I'm dumb. I put the Joomla files in the wrong directory :dead:. Now, to learn what the hell MySQL and Apache do...

yazeed1906
07-31-2007, 04:21 AM
mepis had a wonderful soho server that actually came on a live disk

DaveW
07-31-2007, 04:51 AM
You want to be secure, then do yourself a favour and don't leave your username and password in a text file on the server. ;)

-Dave

.Maleficus.
07-31-2007, 09:11 AM
You want to be secure, then do yourself a favour and don't leave your username and password in a text file on the server. ;)

-Dave
LOL, who do you think I am, Fox?

I'm pretty sure the only places I have my usernames and passwords are in the config files for Apache, MySQL, etc. I'm going ahead and installing a firewall right now too, and I'm on a website about Securing Apache.

Crazy Buddhist
07-31-2007, 10:01 AM
I'm going ahead and installing a firewall right now too, and I'm on a website about Securing Apache.

If you have an old 486 and some NIC's laying around might be worth considering building yourself a dedicated firewall machine and installing ipcop on it to police the server or even your whole network.

.Maleficus.
07-31-2007, 12:30 PM
If you have an old 486 and some NIC's laying around might be worth considering building yourself a dedicated firewall machine and installing ipcop on it to police the server or even your whole network.
I would do that, but I don't have any spare computers (or room for one..) to use. I might be able to get my hands on one (my dad said he'd look through some of the old stuff at work since I need some hard drives anyways) but I can't afford to have another PC on 24/7. I'll have to start paying some of the electricity if I do... :(. (I'm 15 if you didn't know)

I installed Firestarter on it, and it's working so far. 2 "serious" attempts have been blocked, so I'm feeling ok.

Crazy Buddhist
07-31-2007, 01:10 PM
I'll have to start paying some of the electricity if I do... :(. (I'm 15 if you didn't know)

I do ;) .. good thing about ipcop is it can run on a small and old machine with a 120W powerpack and no monitor. Just like a lightbulb.

CrazyB

ps. do the dishes a little more often? lol

.Maleficus.
08-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Ok, I'm starting to like having a server even more (even with the headaches). Anyone ever hear of TorrentFlux? Well, it's pretty nifty. It allows me to remotely control torrents and download them directly to my server. And, it looks freaking cool. I swear, I don't know how I managed life without this. Hopefully I can buy a domain name today or tomorrow and really kick this off (since I can currently only access TorrentFlux through my network, and I'd like to be able to access it anywhere at anytime). And I'm really wanting to try Joomla!. I'm still not sure what MySQL does, but I plan on messing with that stuff today.

Man, having a 4GB hard drive really doesn't cut it.

And CrazyB, if I do the dishes more, it'll put my dishwasher out of a job ;).

Edit: Ahhh, the joys of remote administration. I just got VNC and SSH setup and I'm happily controlling the server from this computer. This. Is. Too. Cool.

Helix666
08-01-2007, 11:29 AM
Mal, that 4GB hard drive makes the one in my mums old PC look like a luxury. (All 12GB of it. :D)

And, honestly CrazyB, expecting a 15 yr. old to do the dishes.:rolleyes: waaaaay too much like work. :D

(This coming from the 16yr old who's going out to find a job in a local supermarket to pay for his next PC.)

Mal:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MySQL
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL

.Maleficus.
08-01-2007, 11:37 AM
(This coming from the 16yr old who's going out to find a job in a local supermarket to pay for his next PC.)
Heh, that's exactly what I did, but I went to McDonalds :D.

And thanks for the links! Good reads!

BerticusPryme
08-01-2007, 11:48 AM
good job on the server so far. sounds like you got it running pretty proper. Also I got you both beat I went to work in a lumber yard driving a forklift and stacking treated 10ft long 8x8 for 8 hours a day. That job was so chocked full of suck it wasn't funny. but keep up the good work man.

.Maleficus.
08-01-2007, 01:24 PM
good job on the server so far. sounds like you got it running pretty proper. Also I got you both beat I went to work in a lumber yard driving a forklift and stacking treated 10ft long 8x8 for 8 hours a day. That job was so chocked full of suck it wasn't funny. but keep up the good work man.
Thanks man! Yeah, it's working pretty awesome. Pretty soon I'm going to go ahead and disconnect the monitor, keyboard and mouse since I don't need them anymore. I think I'll be able to (when it needs to be off) turn it on, start up SSH, log in, and then log into the computer through GDM and my VNC session. Otherwise, I don't know what I'll do lol. I'll just make sure it isn't off :up:

And that job sounds like a blast! [/sarcasm]

BerticusPryme
08-01-2007, 01:37 PM
yeah you might wanan think about trying to find some cheap hdd's and throw in it and get a raid card or twoa nd have all the hdds shared on the netwrok and also have it running as a file server too. Thats what i am getting ready to build.

.Maleficus.
08-01-2007, 01:47 PM
yeah you might wanan think about trying to find some cheap hdd's and throw in it and get a raid card or twoa nd have all the hdds shared on the netwrok and also have it running as a file server too. Thats what i am getting ready to build.
Yeah my dad is going to see what he can grab for me from work next time he goes in (business trip tonight so I think he said Tuesday). It's on a Mini-ITX mobo though so I only have 2 IDE spots and no SATA. I don't need an optical drive so I should be ok though.

I'm thinking about trying out some music/video streaming. Like, from the server to my computer (free up some space on here). Has anyone done this before? My system isn't the greatest (1GHz Via C3, 512MB RAM) but I should be able to, right?

Edit: Ooo, Torrentflux refreshes itself every 60 seconds. Cool! I have another question though, it's about sub-domains. How exactly does a sub-domain work? For example, say I wanted TorrentFlux to have it's own sub-domain instead of typing the path to it's location? Like, instead of blahblah dot com/torrentflux/blah/blah.php, how could I make it torrentflux dot blah dot com?

BerticusPryme
08-01-2007, 02:57 PM
sub domains i dont really know about but i just got a ide controller card from newegg for like 10 bucks.

Crazy Buddhist
08-01-2007, 03:05 PM
I have another question though, it's about sub-domains. How exactly does a sub-domain work?

This looks useful: Subdomain Configuration at websitegear.com (http://content.websitegear.com/article/subdomain_setup.htm)

I'm sure it isn't hard ... I found that by typing 'how do I set up a subdomain on my server' into .. you guessed .. google lol

CrazyB

.Maleficus.
08-01-2007, 03:38 PM
Thanks man, I'll read that in a little bit.

LiTHiUM0XiD3
08-01-2007, 06:34 PM
heh ur serveer specs r fine for streaming heh dude ive streamd stuff offa a amd K6-2 500Mhz fine lolz and it only had 192Mbs ram was alot better tho once i stepped it up to 256Mbs

SgtM
08-01-2007, 08:58 PM
Yeah my dad is going to see what he can grab for me from work next time he goes in (business trip tonight so I think he said Tuesday). It's on a Mini-ITX mobo though so I only have 2 IDE spots and no SATA. I don't need an optical drive so I should be ok though.

I'm thinking about trying out some music/video streaming. Like, from the server to my computer (free up some space on here). Has anyone done this before? My system isn't the greatest (1GHz Via C3, 512MB RAM) but I should be able to, right?

Edit: Ooo, Torrentflux refreshes itself every 60 seconds. Cool! I have another question though, it's about sub-domains. How exactly does a sub-domain work? For example, say I wanted TorrentFlux to have it's own sub-domain instead of typing the path to it's location? Like, instead of blahblah dot com/torrentflux/blah/blah.php, how could I make it torrentflux dot blah dot com?

Easy one.. once you have your domain set up, make a subdomain for it, i.e. torrentflux.domain.com. Then, within the server, point the sub domain to your torrentflux path. BTW, I haven't used it, but I've heard really good things about ISP Config (http://www.ispconfig.org/).

.Maleficus.
08-01-2007, 09:19 PM
ISP Config looks cool! I wish I had seen that when I first started this. I'm using WebMin (http://www.webmin.com/) right now, and it works pretty good.

The subdomain stuff is done through Apache, right? I think I figured it out through WebMin, but since I still haven't bought the domain yet (I'm looking at prices right now) I'm not sure if I did it right.

+rep for the link to ISP Config though :up:

SgtM
08-01-2007, 10:15 PM
Webmin looks pretty cool. It looks like it should handle the sub domain stuff for you. I'm going to have to check that out after I move and get my network setup. +rep for that.

::EDIT::
I just noticed that webmin will handle a squid proxy server. That's EXACTLY what I need for my network! I'll definitely be checking it out.

OvRiDe
08-02-2007, 12:02 AM
I have been using Webmin for years, it is a REALLY handy tool. Since I never have direct access to our Co-Lo its been invaluable for quick tasks. This thread started out talking about security, and having a server that has been compromised I gotta throw my .02 in...

FTP --- Unless you have it configured for virtual users and jailed to a single controlled dir... Dump it. All your usernames and passwords are transmitted in clear text. Which means a basic packet sniffer could easily capture any un/pwd that are being sent to it, if those are actual shell account usernames and passwords-- they are in the box. There are some other ways of handling it, such as Auth TLS or SSL encrypted ftp. I recommend GLFTPd if you choose that route. Since you have SSH up and running, you could do what I do.. SFTP or SCP, its part of OpenSSH so you already have it, and pretty much SSH encrypts all the traffic including usernames and password. I use a client named WinSCP to transfer files to and from my linux server on Windows.

SSH -- Change your default SSH port from 22 to something else. (Just make sure you don't use a port you might need for something else. :)) There are thousands of zombied' machines out there scanning on port 22 trying to brute force servers. 3 days after we put the co-lo on line we had literally thousands of hits from hundreds of IP's trying to brute force SSH. Once I changed it, life settled down a bunch.

As for remote administration, make sure you enable SSL for Webmin (HTTPS). The option is under Webmin Configuration > SSL Encryption. Also I came across an AWSOME remote control program called NoMachine;s NX Server. Its SSH encrytped and uses it for authentication as well. It seems very fast and there wasn't any configuation issues when it came to the xorg.conf. I highly recommend it. To install it is a snap. I was thinking about writing a quick article on this before but haven't taken the time.. so here it is in a nutshell for Ubuntu.

1. Install OpenSSH (Looks like your done with that part :) )
2. Goto http://www.nomachine.com/download.php under NX Free Edition for Linux download the client, node, and server.
3. Install the packages in this order
-A Client
-B NxNode
-C Server
4. Download and install the Windows Client (Free) from the download page
5. Bring up the client and connect using your credentials and ENJOY!

Hope this helps and great job!!

EDIT: Looks like they have put the instructions right on the download page now so its even easier now.. :D

SgtM
08-02-2007, 12:13 AM
Nice write up OvRiDe! +rep

.Maleficus.
08-02-2007, 08:52 AM
Holy crap. Major +rep Ovride.

1. I'll look into encrypted FTP. I did the SSL thing you said, will that do it, or do I have more to do for that? I went through the options in ProFTPD and I couldn't find anything about SSL or encryption.

2. I'll change the port :) Just have to find one that I'm not using... Any suggestions? I tried changing it to 44 (random number, just to see what worked) and enabled port forwarding for it in my router settings but now I get "Connection failed" when I try to connect with SSH.

3. Did the SSL thing :). I'll try out that program, thanks for the suggestion! Question, will that make me not need to have VNC? Is it like it's own program or something? Because no matter what I do, every time I start X11VNC it gives me a damn error about not running it with a password... even though it saved my password in the password file...

Thanks again man!

Edit: Never mind about the port thing, I guess I'm just really dumb and I didn't hit "Apply Changes". Works now. Since I have that working, I'm going to install that NoMachine program.

OvRiDe
08-02-2007, 04:21 PM
1. I'll look into encrypted FTP. I did the SSL thing you said, will that do it, or do I have more to do for that? I went through the options in ProFTPD and I couldn't find anything about SSL or encryption.

I don't think that ProFTPD supports SSL encryption. I use a package called GLFTPd (http://www.glftpd.com/). It allows you to create virtual users, so that you don't have to add shell accounts to allow users to connect to your FTP. I believe that ProFTPd will let you do that as well. It also uses TLS (SSL) to encrypt the username and password as well as the data that is being transferred. The downside is I don't think there is a debian package for the install, so you will need to actually compile it. Its not that hard and should be a good learning experience if you decide to go that route. :D The other thing about using an encrypted FTP you will need to use a client that supports the encryption. I know that Filezilla, FlashFXP, RushFTP, and WSFTP all support, unfortunately the normal windows ftp does not. Oh, and if you do go the encrypted route make sure that you reject all non-SSL attempts, so that you force all users to use SSL and keep them passwords safe.

2. I'll change the port :) Just have to find one that I'm not using... Any suggestions? I tried changing it to 44 (random number, just to see what worked) and enabled port forwarding for it in my router settings but now I get "Connection failed" when I try to connect with SSH.

44 is an excellent choice. That will definitely hold those bots at bay. The port you use is not important, just that its not used by any other standard service and of course its one you can remember :D

3. Did the SSL thing :).

Good deal, just make sure you always connect using https:// or better there is a setting under the SSL Encryption in Webmin "Redirect non-SSL requests to SSL mode?" set it to Yes and it will always redirect it to the https://

I'll try out that program, thanks for the suggestion! Question, will that make me not need to have VNC? Is it like it's own program or something? Because no matter what I do, every time I start X11VNC it gives me a damn error about not running it with a password... even though it saved my password in the password file...

I had that EXACT problem, until I started using NX. VNC is a breeze to set up on Windows, but for some reason there are always little issues with it on Linux. The NX program made it so much easier, and gave me a bunch more options for Window Manager, etc. There is alot it can do that I haven't even touched yet. I really think you will like it.

Edit: Never mind about the port thing, I guess I'm just really dumb and I didn't hit "Apply Changes". Works now.
If I had a nickel for every time that something like that has happened to me!! :D

Looks like your off to a GREAT start, and I hope everything works out like you plan. I know it can be frustrating at times, but there is a great satisfaction when it all comes together. If you run into problems you know we are here for ya!

Oh yah.. ISPConfig -- I didn't care for it, mainly because it didn't suit my needs when we set up our hosting box, and I am used to doing everything from the config files. But that said, it may be perfect for you. There is a pretty good HowTo on HowTo Forge (http://www.howtoforge.com) for setting it up. http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_ubuntu704
Its a pretty good read even if you are already setup.

r0adawg
08-02-2007, 04:27 PM
for ports, you can choose anything upto 65535 and be good..

http://tinyurl.com/863p9

good info...

also you can check /etc/services (I'm hoping that is the file on Ubuntu... have not played with it as of yet) for a listing of what ports are standard... if you don't what that service running, the put a # in front of the line and save the file... (make a backup tho, just in case)

Airbozo
08-02-2007, 04:32 PM
Also for easy connection to the box, just run a serial cable from another system if you need access to the console and fire up Tera Term Pro.

OvRiDe
08-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Also for easy connection to the box, just run a serial cable from another system if you need access to the console and fire up Tera Term Pro.

The ultimate secure connection!! :D

Opps I didn't really answer one of the questions.

Question, will that make me not need to have VNC?

That would be a resounding YES!!! You can leave VNC installed since they don't conflict, but you shouldn't ever need it again. :D

.Maleficus.
08-02-2007, 06:17 PM
I installed NX, but I have no idea where to start when it comes to configuring. I ran the "New Connection Wizard" but got nowhere.

Also, I guess I have another question(s) (heh heh). How do I tell my firewall to let traffic in to my site? It blocks all incoming connections, so what do I do? Turn it off? That would make having it pointless, right? Also, I just noticed that the IP of this computer is now the IP that used to be my server (not on my network, on the internet (if I said that right)). Don't I need a static IP to host a website, or will the name find the IP by itself (again, if I said that right)? If it needs to be static, can I do that myself or do I need to talk to my ISP?

Anyways, thanks again to everyone. You guys were a big help getting this thing off the ground.

calumc
08-02-2007, 06:40 PM
i think you need to talk to your isp to see about the static ip. im not too sure if you need it for the domain name tho

SgtM
08-02-2007, 08:41 PM
i think you need to talk to your isp to see about the static ip. im not too sure if you need it for the domain name tho

For the domain name, you need DNS servers pointing to your web server. When you register your domain name, you will point the name to the DNS servers (name.host.com or you could also use the IP of the server), and then point the DNS servers to the IP address of your web server. This requires a static IP on the server side. Most ISP's will block port 80 (standard HTTP port), you might want to talk to yours to find out what their policy is.

.Maleficus.
08-02-2007, 09:19 PM
For the domain name, you need DNS servers pointing to your web server. When you register your domain name, you will point the name to the DNS servers (name.host.com or you could also use the IP of the server), and then point the DNS servers to the IP address of your web server. This requires a static IP on the server side. Most ISP's will block port 80 (standard HTTP port), you might want to talk to yours to find out what their policy is.
Already using port 80 :). Apparently it wasn't blocked. When setting up my server the tutorial said use port 8080 instead, but to do that I had to change the password for my router, and I didn't want to do that so I just kept 80. So I will have to get a static IP before I can register my domain? I already know the IPs of my DNS servers (memorized them actually... lol) but like I said, I don't think my server IP is static... I guess I'll give them a call tonight or tomorrow and see what I can do.

SgtM
08-02-2007, 11:48 PM
Already using port 80 :). Apparently it wasn't blocked. When setting up my server the tutorial said use port 8080 instead, but to do that I had to change the password for my router, and I didn't want to do that so I just kept 80. So I will have to get a static IP before I can register my domain? I already know the IPs of my DNS servers (memorized them actually... lol) but like I said, I don't think my server IP is static... I guess I'll give them a call tonight or tomorrow and see what I can do.

You don't need a static IP before registering.. You can buy the domain name, and just let them sit out there. I own 3 domains.. none of them are doing anything though.

You had a tutorial that recommended 8080 fo http traffic? That's usually a remote management port. Otherwise, when accessing your site, i would have to type in www.sitename.com:8080 in order to be able to even see it.

Who's providing DNS for you? How much does it cost?

OvRiDe
08-03-2007, 12:03 AM
I think there may be a little confusion on the DNS servers. There are DNS servers that you use to retrieve DNS information, which are normally provided by your ISP. Unless your ISP contains your servers DNS information it doesn't help you. To get your Servers information into DNS it has to be configured at the DNS server end. I do this with BIND on our Hosting box. If you have multiple static IP's you can do this yourself. There are also services that will do it for you, most of the time it costs. If you don't have a static IP there is a service called DynDNS that can do it for minimal cost.

Hope this helps...

Crazy Buddhist
08-03-2007, 05:14 AM
If you don't have a static IP there is a service called DynDNS that can do it for minimal cost.

Indeed you do not need a static IP address at all though it helps and if you can get one for low or no buck$ I would do so.

For a full explanation of Dynamic DNS see the wikipedia.org article here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_DNS).

And for a list of Dynamic DNS services check out the DMOZ.ORG pages here (http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Internet/Servers/Address_Management/Dynamic_DNS_Services/).

CrazyB

.Maleficus.
08-03-2007, 08:12 AM
Hmmm.... I think I'll look into getting a static IP through my ISP... If I can get one for free that would be great, because all this other stuff costs money...

calumc
08-03-2007, 09:01 AM
if your not going to be running a huge site, something for just a few friends to see have a look at http://www.freedomain.co.nr/ they will give you a domain name like www.blablabla.co.nr. and as long as you have a static ip they will take care of all the DNS stuff, for free!
EDIT: i just looked and you dont even need a static ip, it works with dynamic too! if your not too fussed about a proper domain i think this could save a lot of time and money

Crazy Buddhist
08-03-2007, 09:32 AM
if your not going to be running a huge site, something for just a few friends to see have a look at ...

If thats the case you do not even need to buy a domain. Just get a fixed IP address and the web address will be http://212.189.22.57:80/ or whatever.

The whole DNS system was invented so people didn't have to remember long numbers but use easy to remember word based addresses instead. If you are not planning to open up a public website and broadcast its presence through the search engines you don't need it at all.

(also the ":80" is superfluous as you are using standard ports).

Hmmm.... I think I'll look into getting a static IP through my ISP... If I can get one for free that would be great, because all this other stuff costs money...

Most ISP's (at least in the UK charge extra for static IP addresses). Some of the Dynamic DNS services listed on the DMOZ page linked above are free Mal :) as in no cost, nada, rien, gratuit !

So if you don't need a domain name you can get it all up and running by getting or buying a fixed IP address. And if you want a domain name you don't need to pay for the fixed IP address, though personally I would recommend it.

CrazyB

.Maleficus.
08-03-2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the suggestion calumc, but having a proper domain name what I'm looking to do. Once I do finally get my site running it'll be small, but I'm hoping to have it for a while and build up traffic. It'll take time but it's not something I'm going to ditch in a year, ya know?

Edit:

Some of the Dynamic DNS services listed on the DMOZ page linked above are free Mal as in no cost, nada, rien, gratuit !
Really? Most of the ones I check had some sort of fee (or a catch, like using a domain.theirsite.com). Which were free? Have you used any of them before, are they to be trusted?

Crazy Buddhist
08-03-2007, 09:50 AM
Really? Most of the ones I check had some sort of fee (or a catch, like using a domain.theirsite.com). Which were free? Have you used any of them before, are they to be trusted?

No I have never used them. I would research the subject on google Mal and I am sure you will find there are one or two good really free ones. Free DNS (http://freedns.afraid.org/) look good at first sight:

"Free DNS Hosting, Dynamic DNS Hosting, Static DNS Hosting, subdomain and domain hosting.

Why is it free? It's quite simple. We wanted a challenge... that's it.

Possible Uses:

* Host your own site on your own connection from home/work/school/etc
* Access your computer with a name (like zeus.afraid.org or yourdomain.com) instead of a numeric IP address
* Run your own http server, ftp server, or anything you want to install on your computer/server
* Fetchable URL to update your IP instantly on our network if you have a dynamic address"

It looks perfect for your porpoises Mal. So why haven't I used it? Political reasons:

I have always paid for hosting for my website. Now I pay for hosting in Panama for my website. This is because various Authorities in the UK don't like what I write. They try to take me "off the air".

Last year I got fed up of fighting such banality so I did a little research. I discover that the Queen of England owns most of her wealth through Panamanian offshore companies. Panamanian laws are great if you want a little secrecy or less hassle:

1) It is illegal to ask who owns an offshore Panamanian company :up:
2) It is impossible for anyone outside Panama to take action against a website hosted there :up:

If anyone goes to the trouble of trying to hassle me now my Panamanian webhost has made an agreement with me that we will force the issues before the Panamanian courts so that the facts are tried. This means I now can't be hassled by the Authorities who dislike my views.

CrazyB

.Maleficus.
08-03-2007, 10:28 AM
Jesus, what is on your site? Starting a rebellion against her majesty? LOL I'm just kidding, though it looks like you have some controversial stuff on there. I'm all for freedom of speech :up:

I'm signing up for Free DNS right now, thanks for the tip. Does anybody know, will I be able to have my own email account for my site; ie, andysummers at domain.com? 'Cause that would be cool! Do I need SendMail for this?

Crazy Buddhist
08-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Jesus, what is on your site? Starting a rebellion against her majesty? LOL I'm just kidding, though it looks like you have some controversial stuff on there. I'm all for freedom of speech :up:

I'm signing up for Free DNS right now, thanks for the tip. Does anybody know, will I be able to have my own email account for my site; ie, andysummers at domain.com? 'Cause that would be cool! Do I need SendMail for this?

The rebellion began 2,500 years ago. It's coming to fruition which is why all the nuts (George Bush, Tony Blair, Saddam Hussein, etc etc etc) are coming out of the woodwork :)

You will need to run your own mailserver on your server and create DNS records that point there for mail. I don't know the intricacies of this as I have always been hosted. I think its called an MX record.

calumc
08-03-2007, 11:13 AM
for that email thing there is a hack for hotmail that lets you register whatever you want. gimme a few minuites and ill try and dig it up
ok i cant find it and im not sure that id be allowed to post it here anyways. but if you goole around there are some services that will give you a small amount of storage with your own domain for free

Airbozo
08-03-2007, 12:07 PM
Running your own mail server can be tricky to setup. Once it is setup, just make sure that you keep up with the security fixes, since hackers LOVE to exploit the vulnerabilities of Sendmail and the like. Oh and Sendmail IS one bloated piece of work that takes a doctorate to fully understand. That being said, there is NO equal. There are plenty of tutorials out there for setting up and administering sendmail and keeping it secure. I know enough about sendmail to get it setup, but outside of that I almost NEVER muck with the MX records. They make my head hurt just looking at them.

Crazy Buddhist
08-03-2007, 01:03 PM
"if John Ashcroft wants my GMail - he only need write a memo to get mail older than three months. Yet, if John Ashcroft wants email on my personal server, he must obtain a search warrant signed by a Judge."

That says it all to me.

Mal, check out Squirrelmail (http://www.squirrelmail.org/) and Postfix (http://www.postfix.org/features.html)

CrazyB

SgtM
08-05-2007, 02:45 AM
I was about to contribute something, but CrazyB and Airbozo already said everything. Oh.. MX records aren't all that hard. +rep to them.

.Maleficus.
08-06-2007, 11:36 AM
So I just installed Joomla. I installed it to my network IP so I imagine I'll have to change the config to my domain name when I buy it (I know, I've been saying that a lot but I'm finally going to), but that's no biggie. To anyone who has used Joomla: Are there any good tutorial sites for adding content? I was looking through the options and it looks pretty easy, but if you've got some recommends that would be sweet.

And this is probably a question I'll just have to answer myself, but most of the Dynamic DNS clients for Free DNS are .php scripts (I think that's what you would call it?). How do I actually make them work, do I add the text to my webpages or something? There isn't much documentation on it so...

Crazy Buddhist
08-06-2007, 12:13 PM
... I imagine I'll have to change the config to my domain name when I buy it (I know, I've been saying that a lot but I'm finally going to) ...

Mal is money whats been stopping you? If yes send me a PM and I will buy it for you for christmas. Least I can do after your help in other threads man. I'll pay for it for two years for you after that its over to you if you wanna keep it you pay the dollar.

CrazyB

.Maleficus.
08-06-2007, 04:20 PM
Mal is money whats been stopping you? If yes send me a PM and I will buy it for you for christmas. Least I can do after your help in other threads man. I'll pay for it for two years for you after that its over to you if you wanna keep it you pay the dollar.

CrazyB
LOL, no, it's not money, it's my lack of motivation. Hell, I could buy it right now, but then I'd need to go ask my mom for her credit card, and she'd probably have me do some chores first, then work on Geometry... I have to all that before I do anything else anyways, so I'm going to do some of that now and then buy it (I had to come up with a name too lol, that's what took up most of the time).

Thanks for the offer though! Definite +rep to you.

.Maleficus.
08-07-2007, 03:15 PM
Ok, I bought my domain name (yay!). But, I don't know how to make it point to my system. I changed my nameservers to the ones provided by Free DNS, but I don't know how to point it to my IP... Actually it looks like every computer on my network (well 2 of 5 anyways lol) is using the same IP. Should I get calling Verizon for a static IP for my server?

Edit: Thought I would add I already changed the Live Site path to my domain name (in Joomla). Other than that I have no idea what I'm supposed to do :redface:

r0adawg
08-07-2007, 03:31 PM
mal, as for joomla, you can shoot questions my way... I'm doing a few sites right now there not too hard but might be able to answer your ?'s

.Maleficus.
08-07-2007, 03:48 PM
mal, as for joomla, you can shoot questions my way... I'm doing a few sites right now there not too hard but might be able to answer your ?'s
Cool, I'll keep that in mind :)

For now though, I really need to figure out how to get the name to point to the server. Like I said, I think I'll give Verizon a call about a static IP and see what I can do.

Crazy Buddhist
08-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Ok, I bought my domain name (yay!). But, I don't know how to make it point to my system. I changed my nameservers to the ones provided by Free DNS, but I don't know how to point it to my IP... Actually it looks like every computer on my network (well 2 of 5 anyways lol) is using the same IP. Should I get calling Verizon for a static IP for my server?

If you are behind a NAT router, which I assume you are, all are using the same IP address almost certainly. The Router just points the packets where they were asked from. So if you ask an outside website to tell you your IP address it will report the same address for all machines behind the router - unless there are multiple assigned IP addresses routed to specific machines.

You need to tell your firewall/router to point http requests on port 80 to your server and somewhere in your free DNS setup you will have to point the domain to your IP address. That should be it. You built an index page yet?

CrazyB

calumc
08-07-2007, 03:57 PM
o yes ive seen this in my router, theres a thing called static NAT which points all traffic on certain ports to a certain computer

.Maleficus.
08-07-2007, 04:01 PM
Hmmm... Ok, I think I understand, however, there is no way that I see in the Linksys options to do that. Unless that's what port forwarding is for, in which case I already have (Forwarding to server's network IP is set for port 80). This would make me feel dumb but could it be because I haven't waited a certain time period for the name? I bought it a few hours ago, is it possible that it hasn't been registered yet and I'm worrying about nothing?

And about the index page, yes and no. I have the default Joomla page, but I've only got started on making it into my page. I'm waiting for my new case to arrive so I can make some graphics, etc. I'm working out links and stuff right now, which is why I want to get the name to work (so I can work on linking to my forum and Torrentflux subdomains).

calumc
08-07-2007, 04:04 PM
it could be that you have to wait a bit. mine took a few hours i think. and the static NAT is under the port forewarding tab on my router if its any help

.Maleficus.
08-07-2007, 04:08 PM
I don't have anything in mine about Static NAT, but under UPnP forwarding, I enabled the entry "HTTP" which is on Port 80, to point to 192.168.1.3 (what I gave my server).

r0adawg
08-07-2007, 04:16 PM
what linksys hardware do you have???

Airbozo
08-07-2007, 04:42 PM
I know I am stepping in late here....

Last time I used one of the free-dns tools, I remember there was a windows script that would run when I booted up my main system. The script would determine the _outside_ connection IP and update the free-dns record automagically. I have not used it in years, but it may be the same. Look on the FAQ's at the free-dns provider for info.

This way you do not have to pay for a static IP, and they can be expensive. (Not even sure Verizon will sell you one...)

.Maleficus.
08-07-2007, 04:45 PM
BEFW11S4.

**Changed** At the Free DNS site, it says I have 5 dynamic update candidates. I have the option for a wget script as a Batch file, is that what I need?

Edit: Actually, I'm downloading this (http://www.techknowpro.com/freedns/index.php), and I'll see how that works.

r0adawg
08-07-2007, 05:08 PM
check your linksys admin.... under advance and then dmz host. I think that this is the best place for your server to be at... configured correctly, you should be able to host your site.

for more info, check out your user guide under dmz host.

hope this helps you

Airbozo
08-07-2007, 05:26 PM
WOOOP WOOOP BXZZZZZZPT!

Warning, DMZ is not the best idea UNLESS you know for sure your server is secure from outside attacks! Be warned or be hacked!

Sorry for that public service announcement, but the hair on the back of my neck stood up.

Last time I stuck a server in the DMZ it came under immediate attack. And I mean less than 5 minutes after I put it in the DMZ people were trying to crack passwords... The last thing you want is a server that is being used by spammers as a mail forwarder. It may take some time to point all the correct ports to your server, but only put it in the DMZ as a last resort.

And yes Mal I am pretty sure that is what you want.

.Maleficus.
08-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Ok, so I won't use DMZ lol.

I think for now I'm going to leave the thing alone, and see what happens tomorrow. I'll work on content for tonight, and then tomorrow morning I'll see if anything has changed. When I enter the name it says "This page is parked free, courtesy of GoDaddy.com", so I think it just needs to register.

Airbozo
08-07-2007, 06:34 PM
Ok, so I won't use DMZ lol.

I think for now I'm going to leave the thing alone, and see what happens tomorrow. I'll work on content for tonight, and then tomorrow morning I'll see if anything has changed. When I enter the name it says "This page is parked free, courtesy of GoDaddy.com", so I think it just needs to register.

Is that the info you get when you type in www.domainnamehere.com?

If so that means the dns maps have pushed already and you need to log into the place you purchased the domain name and update the records to point to the free-dns server. it may take as much as 24 hours for the dns maps to push to all the servers around the world. The best way to see if you can access your server from outside your site, is to connect from another system, say at work, and connect to the IP addy on your router using firefox. If it is setup right, you will see either the index page or a 404 error, or an Apache page telling you to build some content.

.Maleficus.
08-07-2007, 07:00 PM
Yep, it looks like a GoDaddy ad or something lol.

I logged in and changed the DNS servers to the servers provided by Free DNS. According to Free DNS, I also don't have any broken domains. The status is "Active" and all other entries seem to be pointing to my IP.

Crazy Buddhist
08-08-2007, 02:09 AM
I don't have anything in mine about Static NAT, but under UPnP forwarding, I enabled the entry "HTTP" which is on Port 80, to point to 192.168.1.3 (what I gave my server).

Perfect. And as Airbozo said I would not use the DMZ - unless you revert to my earlier suggestion of building an IPCOP based firewall between the router and the server.

Yep, it looks like a GoDaddy ad or something lol.

I logged in and changed the DNS servers to the servers provided by Free DNS. According to Free DNS, I also don't have any broken domains. The status is "Active" and all other entries seem to be pointing to my IP.

Thats it. You used GoDaddy to register but you have to tell them where your DNS records are maintained. You have done that so by the time you awake it should have propogated through the DNS system and you'll be live.

Probably do need some kind of reporting script to keep your free-dns record up to date automatically.

CrazyB

.Maleficus.
08-08-2007, 08:15 AM
Ok, so I went to the "Total DNS Control" page at the GoDaddy website, and changed A to my IP... turns out that was at some strange IP that wasn't mine. Update was successful, but I still need to allow 24-48 hours for the DNS to propagate on the net. I'm pretty sure that was my problem, and now I feel dumb lol. I imagine that I'll also have to change the other entries (ftp, email, etc.) to make them point to the subdomains I have on Free DNS? Like, right now, ftp points to ftp.secureserver.net. I'll have to change that if I want ftp to my site without ftping to my server (not that I need it anyways)?

I think I'm going to look into Sendmail or Postfix. Just to mess around with it and see how hard it actually is.

Edit: Yep, it was the "Total DNS Control" deal that made it suck. Now, it works. Time to work on my subdomains!

Crazy Buddhist
08-08-2007, 09:01 AM
Coolio .. glad it's all going to plan. :)

SgtM
08-13-2007, 10:07 AM
d00d.. what's the default un and pw for webmin? I've seen places that say admin and no password but it's not working for me. I've also tried wemin and no password and webmin and admin. +rep for getting it to work. thx.

**EDIT**
nm.. I Just found this:

How do I change my Webmin password if I can't login?
Included with the Webmin distribution is a program called changepass.pl to solve erecisely this problem. Assuming you have installed Webmin in /usr/libexec/webmin, you could change the password of the admin user to foo by running

/usr/libexec/webmin/changepass.pl /etc/webmin admin foo

BTW, I'm running Fedora 7 via VMware. I'm gonna have some fun with this. I have a box with win2k3 on it, but when we get to the new house (this week!!) it's gonna be blown up and reinstalled with Fedora7.

**EDIT 2**
First impressions of webmin and usermin is good. Seems to be MUCH better than ISPCONFIG. I downloaded and started installing Joomla! but the php permissions are screwed up. No big deal. It's just a virtual host atm anyway. Look for a tut in sometime next month on my network and proxy setup.

SgtM
08-15-2007, 11:50 PM
Good news: I got my house keys today
Bad news: It was late in the day, and they had to spray for ants, so I had to wait to move. They also disconnected the power, so I have to remedy that in the AM.

Good news 2: I'm playing around with my new Fedora7 server with Webmin and Joomla! (installed over VMware). This is pretty fun stuff. I'm gonna have fun setting up my network.

Got any good advice for Joomla .Mal?

OvRiDe
08-16-2007, 12:22 AM
Dude.. That is AWSOME.. Glad to hear your almost there.. BTW for pretty much every distro (except Ubuntu) the default user name and password is root and the root password. The reason it is very important to setup the SSL if you are going to do it from anything other then you local network. :) I have Fedora 7 but havent had any time to play with it. :(

Hey Mal.. Did you ever get NX running? Sorry I totally forgot to recheck this thread. I didn't have to do anything config wise on the server end, and on the client side, you basically just set everything up as if you were connecting to SSH. So if you changed your SSH port just use the whatever you changed it to.

Hope this helps...

SgtM
08-16-2007, 12:37 AM
Just installed phpBB.. maybe I shouldn't have decided to stop having kids.. I need more users on my network!

Crazy Buddhist
08-16-2007, 01:18 AM
Just installed phpBB.. maybe I shouldn't have decided to stop having kids.. I need more users on my network!

hehehehe

MADMAN !!!!!

cRAZYb

OvRiDe
08-16-2007, 01:31 AM
Bwahahahah.. I get that same feeling sometimes as well.

But don't stop there.. you still got WordPress (http://wordpress.org/), Coppermine (http://coppermine-gallery.net/), and/or Singapore (http://www.sgal.org/), and then for some real fun there is Relay (http://ecosmear.com/relay/). There are many many more options out there... Have a blast!!!

SgtM
08-16-2007, 09:50 AM
Damn you OvRiDe! Why did you have to link me to those!? Methinks it's time for a live install outside of VMware, and a bigger hard drive in the server.
</evil laugh>

.Maleficus.
08-16-2007, 09:52 AM
Joomla advice? Not really, but there is a great site called www.joomlatutorials.com that's pretty helpful. It's mostly just getting rid of the content they preload and adding your own. Tedious but not hard. Liking Webmin? I think it's great, very easy to use.

I never got NX to work, but it's ok, I've been mostly using the command line through SSH, and in the few cases I need a GUI VNC is working fine, albeit slowly.

StgM, are you making a forum? I installed phpBB too, hopefully to make my own forum also. I haven't spent much time with it, because I'm still trying to figure out the damn subdomains ROFL. I sort of had it, but it just made my regular domain point to the TorrentFlux directory. So close, yet so far.

And OvRiDe, +rep for those links :up: I think I may take a look at Wordpress if I ever make a real blog.

SgtM
08-16-2007, 09:33 PM
Meh.. I'm more or less just playing around with it. I haven't spent TOO much time with it yet because I started moving today. Internet will be in the house next Friday, and after we're settled in, I can really start working on my network config.. Fedora 7, webmin, Joomla, phpBB, Squid proxy (for the kidz0rz). Is there a way to manage domains/subdomains in webmin?

.Maleficus.
08-16-2007, 10:07 PM
I've been trying to find a way to, but like I said, the closest I got with my subdomain stuff was getting my regular domain to point to the Torrentflux directory, and that didn't help at all. It actually was a huge PITA because I couldn't figure out why it was doing it... I'm taking another look rightn now though.

OvRiDe
08-16-2007, 11:19 PM
You can use Webmin to manage domains and subdomains, IF you are using it to do your DNS to the internet. So for instance in GoDaddy you have to give them 2 DNS server (ie. NS1.blah.com and NS2.blah.com) if you are running Webmin on those servers then you can use Webmin. If you are using 3rd party for your DNS .. then it is all controlled at their server.

Oh, BTW SgtM .. have you checked your PMs?

.Maleficus.
08-17-2007, 12:12 PM
w00t w00t! Got my subdomain to work! Now I'm super happy :D.

calumc
08-17-2007, 01:42 PM
so mal, when are we going to get a url to see what youve been working on?

.Maleficus.
08-17-2007, 01:51 PM
so mal, when are we going to get a url to see what youve been working on?
Heh, when I finish ;)

Most of the time I've spent on it so far is changing the theme. I can't find any I really like, so I downloaded one and I'm editing every image in PS to my liking. It sucks though, because whoever made the theme made the heading graphic 2 images, so it looks off because I couldn't get them to match up perfect. I think I'll download a new one and just start over. Shouldn't be too long before I have it running though.

SgtM
08-17-2007, 08:15 PM
You can use Webmin to manage domains and subdomains, IF you are using it to do your DNS to the internet. So for instance in GoDaddy you have to give them 2 DNS server (ie. NS1.blah.com and NS2.blah.com) if you are running Webmin on those servers then you can use Webmin. If you are using 3rd party for your DNS .. then it is all controlled at their server.

Oh, BTW SgtM .. have you checked your PMs?

Got it. The 3 that I own right now are going to expire next month. I dont have a use for them so it's no big deal. I just like playing around with webmin right now. Maybe I'll order a domain after the new year. We'll see.

Crazy Buddhist
08-26-2007, 02:39 PM
Mal

How is the dynamic DNS working out for you now you've been using it a while? Is it effective? Any issues?

Matthew

.Maleficus.
08-26-2007, 03:17 PM
Mal

How is the dynamic DNS working out for you now you've been using it a while? Is it effective? Any issues?

Matthew
It's been working great actually. After realizing some of the things that were keeping it from it doing what I wanted it to do (most of them being my fault also) it's been pretty good.

Edit: Wow, I said "it" a lot.

calumc
08-26-2007, 03:25 PM
while we're on the subject how did you get your external ip to point to your server?

Crazy Buddhist
08-26-2007, 03:32 PM
It's been working great actually. After realizing some of the things that were keeping it from it doing what I wanted it to do (most of them being my fault also) it's been pretty good.

Good to hear it. I'm thinking about taking one of these Apple PowerPC's (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10252) and putting a linux server distro on it to run my sites from home. Dynamic DNS would be essential for me I think. If that happens I will be tapping your brain ... don't worry it won't hurt :)

.Maleficus.
08-26-2007, 04:00 PM
while we're on the subject how did you get your external ip to point to your server?
I believe I did that with the FreeDNS service. You port forward to the IP of the WWW box (for me 192.168.1.3) with the router settings and then add your external IP to the FreeDNS and domain registration forms.

.Maleficus.
09-01-2007, 09:32 AM
He guys, I'm back with a few questions.

Does anyone know why my domain name is changing to 192.168.1.3 when I click to a link that takes me to another page inside my site? I've only accessed the site from 2 computers inside our network, but it still shouldn't be doing that.

Also, after I changed my forum to a subdomain, whenever I try to login, it tries to redirect me to forums.arcanesystems.com/phpBB2/index.php which doesn't exist, because I'm already in the /phpBB2 directory. How do I make it not do that?

And yes, my site is http://arcanesystems.com if you want to check it out and give me bug feedback, etc. It's not done, and far from it, but I need some reports from other people on problems if there are any (and there most likely will be).

And about the theme on there; I haven't been able to FTP to my server yet (I think I need to hook up a monitor and everything and tweak a little) since I updated the theme, so I am going to change the images and stuff as soon as I can. Green mountain serenity isn't really my cup of tea.

calumc
09-01-2007, 09:46 AM
all of your links in the source are pointing to 192.168.1.3/....

.Maleficus.
09-01-2007, 10:04 AM
all of your links in the source are pointing to 192.168.1.3/....
Well that's lame... Thanks for pointing that out. Since I'm too impatient to figure out how to change that in Joomla, I'll have to do it once I get my FTP and SSH to work. +rep dude.

Crazy Buddhist
09-01-2007, 11:04 AM
Does anyone know why my domain name is changing to 192.168.1.3 when I click to a link that takes me to another page inside my site?

You probably built the site offline at home on your PC or server and had addresses set as absolute rather than relative. Once in your site links can be relative to the entry point/root of the server or absolute in which case the full address needs to be given.

Here is a good explanation (http://www.compugoddess.com/relvsabs.htm)

.Maleficus.
10-03-2007, 08:23 AM
Alright guys, so I'm almost ready to go live with this. There's just one more thing I need to work out.

Emails. Ie, regestration emails. I originally tried with my email address, but I imagine I did it wrong so it didn't work. I decided to install Postfix, but after the install, I got lost. Webmin has a built in configuration utility for it, but I don't know what to do with it. Webmin also has a thing for Sendmail, but from what I've read Sendmail is even more confusing than Postfix. Does anyone know anything about either program that they could help me with?

Thanks guys.

Edit: Also, how do I make Google not say "A website created using Joomla" blah blah... I bet it's a setting under Joomla, right?

Crazy Buddhist
10-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Alright guys, so I'm almost ready to go live with this. There's just one more thing I need to work out.

Emails. Ie, regestration emails. I originally tried with my email address, but I imagine I did it wrong so it didn't work. I decided to install Postfix, but after the install, I got lost. Webmin has a built in configuration utility for it, but I don't know what to do with it. Webmin also has a thing for Sendmail, but from what I've read Sendmail is even more confusing than Postfix. Does anyone know anything about either program that they could help me with?

Thanks guys.

Edit: Also, how do I make Google not say "A website created using Joomla" blah blah... I bet it's a setting under Joomla, right?

Mal,

Postfix

I don't know webmin or postfix but the tutorial here (http://rimuhosting.com/support/settingupemail.jsp?mta=postfix) looks pretty thorough.

Google

If you look at the raw HTML I think you will find a Meta tag <META name="description" content="A website created using Joomla"> - this is presumably Joomla's default setting.

The Meta description tag is where search engines look for the description of your site.

Here (http://help.joomla.org/content/view/51/153/1/6/) is the joomla help page that tells you what to do to set it how you want.

Here (http://www.joomlatwork.com/products/free_products_for_joomla/sef_patch_joomla.html) is a search engine friendly patch for Joomla that will allow you to max out the results - looks worth investigating, having had a quick read.

:)

.Maleficus.
10-03-2007, 04:31 PM
CrazyB, thanks for the patch link. I'm definitely going to look into that.

I decided against Postfix and Sendmail. I found a much better option. A Gmail account for "Groups and Organizations". I now have it set to maleficus at arcanesystems.com, working great. BUT, for the Joomla email setting, I'm not sure what to use. I've ruled it down to 2 options: "PHP Mail Function" or "SMTP Server". I only left "SMTP Server" because I don't know what it means :p. So... looks like I'll be investigating that for a little bit and I'll be 99% done. :up:

calumc
10-03-2007, 04:43 PM
Mal, I was just having a look around you site and Im afraid to say the banner was the first thing that struck me. Compared to the rest of the site it looked a bit unprofessional, I narrowed it down to the text. It just looked a bit pixelated. So I took it and applied a simple 1px gaussian blur and here is the result: http://files.mint-space.com/getfile,20071003203816,arcaneheader.jpg.html
I'm not sure what you'll think but I think it looks a lot more elegant.
BTW if you want it that link will go dead after about 2 days

Airbozo
10-03-2007, 04:45 PM
go with smtp (Simple Mail Transport Protocol). Everything should already be setup correctly. Most mail servers are by default smtp, but they also handle the php mail. I personally would stick with sendmail and smtp (neither is required for the other... ;) ).

Sendmail should only take one or two edits of the config file for it to function properly and securely. Probably just the FQDN needs to be added.

Computer-Geek
10-03-2007, 05:31 PM
wow great looking website :D

.Maleficus.
10-03-2007, 05:32 PM
@ calumc - I'm still working on the header. That's the general idea of what I want, and for a while I couldn't figure out how to display it (damn template has 3 CSS files...) so that was more for testing proposes. I changed it a little, but I'm still playing with it.

@ AB - I changed it to SMTP, so I'll test that out. Now to make ANOTHER email account... :rolleyes: Good thing I can have up to 100...

Edit: Thanks computer geek :D.

Edit 2: Hmmm... I set it to SMTP server and it still doesn't work. I imagine it's the blank settings that I don't know that's keeping it from working. Since I'm using the Google mail, I don't know these. These are my settings.

SMTP Server
SMTP User: *blank, I don't know what they mean, perhaps my admin Google account name?*
SMTP Password *again, blank*
SMTP Server: localhost (default)
SMTP Auth: No

SgtM
10-05-2007, 09:18 PM
This might help you out.

http://lifehacker.com/software/email-apps/how-to-use-gmail-as-your-smtp-server-111166.php

.Maleficus.
10-06-2007, 07:48 AM
This might help you out.

http://lifehacker.com/software/email-apps/how-to-use-gmail-as-your-smtp-server-111166.php
Thanks StgM. I think the problem is the fact that Google's SMTP uses SSL, and Joomla has no way to work with that. There's a hack I found that uses a completely different mailer with Joomla, and requires some PHP editing, so I'm going to try that one more time, and if it doesn't work, then I'll just learn Postfix or Sendmail. I've been at this for 3 days nonstop, and in that time I'm sure I could have had Postfix or Sendmail running.

Crazy Buddhist
10-06-2007, 08:02 AM
Thanks StgM. I think the problem is the fact that Google's SMTP uses SSL, and Joomla has no way to work with that. There's a hack I found that uses a completely different mailer with Joomla, and requires some PHP editing, so I'm going to try that one more time, and if it doesn't work, then I'll just learn Postfix or Sendmail. I've been at this for 3 days nonstop, and in that time I'm sure I could have had Postfix or Sendmail running.

Mal,

Have you set up an MX record for your mail server at the free dynamic dns place? I think relays check the sender address against MX records
and won't forward mail that doesn't match. this might be part of the issue. You will certainly need to create an MX record to receive mail or servers and relays won't know where to find you.

.Maleficus.
10-06-2007, 08:15 AM
Mal,

Have you set up an MX record for your mail server at the free dynamic dns place? I think relays check the sender address against MX records
and won't forward mail that doesn't match. this might be part of the issue. You will certainly need to create an MX record to receive mail or servers and relays won't know where to find you.

I looked around FreeDNS but didn't find anything about MX records. I did add some stuff to GoDaddy's MX thing (because Google told me to in the install). Like I said though, I'm about to just read the 30 page manuals for Postfix and Sendmail, because I'm sure it can't be worse than this. I'm about to tear my hair out. I just need to find a nice looking/functioning email program now...

SgtM
10-06-2007, 04:31 PM
I just checked MX records for arcanesystems.com. They look fine at the moment.

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=arcanesystems.com

.Maleficus.
10-06-2007, 05:46 PM
I just checked MX records for arcanesystems.com. They look fine at the moment.

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=arcanesystems.com
Yeah, I didn't think I did anything wrong. Which is why I figure it's Joomla's fault.

Based on this tutorial (http://doxfer.com/Webmin/PostfixBasicConfiguration), I should be set up fairly quickly. Project for when I get home later tonight. After that, I'll download Thunderbird and hopefully be good to go.

.Maleficus.
10-06-2007, 11:27 PM
Ok, so I did some stuff, and I have to say, I have no idea what I did. My eyes are just about to bleed, since I've been up for almost 17 hours, and this is HELLA CONFUSING. My GoDaddy settings are like this: (These are my CNAMES) email - mail.arcanesystems.com; smtp - smtp.arcanesystems.com; pop - pop.arcanesystems.com. I went through the Thunderbird setup, setup my account, and when I click "Get Mail" it mail.arcanesystems.com prompts for a password. I have never made a password for it. Where and how do I make this password?

Sorry I sound like a 5th grader. I'm just tired and frustrated with this whole thing.

SgtM
10-07-2007, 12:03 AM
Well, that's a good thing. It's communicating correctly. What did you end up using for E-mail? Go to your user settings, and reset the password for the account you are trying to work with. (I'm assuming there's a webmin module for your E-mail users)

.Maleficus.
10-07-2007, 06:50 AM
I'm using Postfix. I found the place to change email passwords, and it worked. I'm not sure if I have my MX Records right though. Since I had no idea what I'm doing, I have 1 record with a Priority of 10, the host is "mail", it goes to "mail.arcanesystems.com", and the TTL is 1 week. I have an A record called "mail" too.

Thanks for all the continued help with this everyone!

Edit: I checked that link you sent my StgM, and after I changed the MX record, it's still working fine. I pass all the MX tests. I can ping mail.arcanesystems.com fine, but my problems lie with SMTP.

Edit 2: Now that I get back from work, I can't ping mail.arcanesystems.com either. I haven't changed anything... :(.

SgtM
10-07-2007, 07:39 PM
I can't ping it either, but it is resolving to 71.98.33.94. Another weird thing. If I type in www.arcanesystems.com, I can't hit your site. BUT, if I type in arcanesystems.com it comes up. It could just be that I'm at work though.

EDIT

Oh yeah, your site looks really good. I might hit you up for some pointers on getting the dynamic DNS working. I'm running Fedora 7.

.Maleficus.
10-07-2007, 08:50 PM
I can't ping it either, but it is resolving to 71.98.33.94. Another weird thing. If I type in www.arcanesystems.com, I can't hit your site. BUT, if I type in arcanesystems.com it comes up. It could just be that I'm at work though.

EDIT

Oh yeah, your site looks really good. I might hit you up for some pointers on getting the dynamic DNS working. I'm running Fedora 7.
Wierd. I can get it with www.arcanesystems.com. Also, I don't know how much help I'd be with dynamic DNS, because my IP hasn't changed since I started this in July :D. I'm pretty sure it's never changed. For all I know, the FreeDNS service is doing nothing except slowing it down :D:D.

I still wish I knew why I can't ping mail.arcanesystems.com. I have a CNAME entry called "mail" pointing to "mail.arcanesystems.com" and an A entry called "mail" pointing to my IP. Isn't that how you do it? Have a CNAME point to an A? If not, that could be the reason. My MX Record is still fine... Speaking of which, what should any others be? 1 isn't very smart... Just like mail2.arcanesystems.com?

.Maleficus.
10-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Alright guys, so I gave in and got a paid-for account. I'm way to busy with life right now to work on this, and for $35, I got a year of service, 10 accounts, a gig of space each, spam protection, and 24/7 support. That being said...

IT'S LIVE! From this point on, you can register, post, and browse to your hearts content. And I urge you do so :D.

Also, if you do decide to join, give the registration email a little time. It wasn't immediate for my test user, so I doubt it'll be immediate for you.

Edit: Also, if you have any questions, feel free to contact me at maleficus at arcanesystems.com. I'll try to help you on any Linux/tech/modding questions you have. That's the point of the site ;).

calumc
10-09-2007, 01:52 PM
Cograts!! have a +rep for the occasion!
I just signed up BTW!

Crazy Buddhist
10-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Alright guys, so I gave in and got a paid-for account. I'm way to busy with life right now to work on this, and for $35, I got a year of service, 10 accounts, a gig of space each, spam protection, and 24/7 support. That being said...

Congrats +Rep on being up and running Mal. It really pays to shop around with hosting though. Just got this package for $60 a year at hostmonster.com :

http://hostmonster.com/images/spacer.gifhttp://hostmonster.com/images/home-column-arrow.jpg300 Gigabytes of Hosting Space http://hostmonster.com/images/spacer.gifhttp://hostmonster.com/images/home-column-arrow.jpgHost UNLIMITED Domains!! http://hostmonster.com/images/spacer.gifhttp://hostmonster.com/images/home-column-arrow.jpgUnlimited Pop/Imap Email Accounts http://hostmonster.com/images/spacer.gifhttp://hostmonster.com/images/home-column-arrow.jpgSSH Access (Secure Shell)http://hostmonster.com/images/spacer.gifhttp://hostmonster.com/images/home-column-arrow.jpg3,000 Gigs of Transfer http://hostmonster.com/images/spacer.gifhttp://hostmonster.com/images/home-column-arrow.jpgSSL, FTP, Statshttp://hostmonster.com/images/spacer.gifhttp://hostmonster.com/images/home-column-arrow.jpgCGI, Ruby (RoR), Perl, PHP, MYSQLhttp://hostmonster.com/images/spacer.gifhttp://hostmonster.com/images/home-column-arrow.jpgFront Page Extensionshttp://hostmonster.com/images/spacer.gifhttp://hostmonster.com/images/home-column-arrow.jpgFree Domain Foreverhttp://hostmonster.com/images/spacer.gifhttp://hostmonster.com/images/home-column-arrow.jpgFree Site Builderhttp://hostmonster.com/images/spacer.gifhttp://hostmonster.com/images/home-column-arrow.jpgBest Support in the Industry

CrazyB

.Maleficus.
10-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Man CrazyB, sounds like a nice package. For $3 a month, I'm happy with the email plan I got though. If only I could get fscking Thunderbird to work with it...