PDA

View Full Version : Keypads? (not the thing on your keyboard)

D1337
07-31-2007, 06:53 AM
I want to put a keypad on my case, but i wont if i cant figure out how to make it actually work. I would like to be able to boot my computer after pressing a 5 digit(anything > 3) combination.

I dont know much about keypads or how they work.. (google only got me so far..)

I know its kind of a long shot, but if you know anything thats helpful or links that may contain useful information by all means post it.

calumc
07-31-2007, 07:54 AM
i think a PIC might be able to do that. some of the guys here know alot about them, someone should be able to help you

XcOM
08-05-2007, 10:38 AM
if you had constant power going to a pim, you could hook that to a keypad, and get to pass the power when the code is entered

Pointy_Stick
08-07-2007, 05:13 AM
I would be looking at a door alarm similar to this. Link (http://www.dimango.com/sa-door-exit-alarms-hs4317.htm). When you open the door, the magnetic connection between the door unit and the wall unit is broken sounding the alarm, UNLESS, you enter a pass code on the number pad.

My guess is when you do that, the microcontroller inside the unit disarms the alarm, either by sending or denying current to the alarm. I think by rewiring the alarm circuit in place of a power button, you could turn the pc on that way.

Man, I wish I read this before I went to work today, there's a shop just from where I work that sells those door alarms cheap and I've been meaning to try this myself for a while now. I might try and get into town tomorrow and grab one to have a play around with. If I do I'll let you know how it goes.

danthegeek
08-09-2007, 03:51 AM
I would be looking at a door alarm similar to this. Link (http://www.dimango.com/sa-door-exit-alarms-hs4317.htm).
My guess is when you do that, the microcontroller inside the unit disarms the alarm, either by sending or denying current to the alarm. I think by rewiring the alarm circuit in place of a power button, you could turn the pc on that way.

You could use this only if the unit sends an electrical signal such as 5 or 12 volts and it must be momentary. If so, then you could simply wire a relay to that signal. This would create a momentary electrical switch that you could plug into your mobo.

YOu could also make a remote start for your computer. Just keep it with you or put it on your key ring and unplug the switch on the case. I made an example here (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7765) a while ago but it will work up to 50 feet away (through walls, RF signal). Anyways, thats my $.02. Good luck

D1337
08-09-2007, 12:58 PM
I saw the remote start, its cool but its not what im looking for =/
If pointy doesnt get his idea to work, or if i cant find a tutorial on how to build working keypads i might just go for a usb fingerprint scanner and edit the logon screen (because the default blue is ugly and would ruin it)

alexanderH
08-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Might I suggest a garage door opener type keypad? As far as I am aware they can send varying voltage from the pad on a correct combination. It would also allow you to set a fairly large code and has battery backup. Because I know most garage door openers work on 120, you may be able to wire this straight into the PSU so that on a correct combination you are good to go.

D1337
08-09-2007, 09:49 PM
good idea, we have one for our garage and i guess ill go take a look at it tomorrow since its late and its raining =/

plus it should allow me to power it down using the same keypad.