PDA

View Full Version : In 3 years look for Windows 7

TheGreatSatan
07-31-2007, 10:40 AM
Also, codenamed Vienna, Windows 7 is set to launch in 3 years. Why so fast for a new OS?

http://news.com.com/Next+version+of+Windows+Call+it+7/2100-1016_3-6197943.html?tag=item

slytherock
07-31-2007, 11:13 AM
I saw this last week, I think Vista is a bit like ME: a pre-release of the good version :p

modmansage
07-31-2007, 12:48 PM
I saw this last week, I think Vista is a bit like ME: a pre-release of the good version :p

So that's why it sucks!

rendermandan
07-31-2007, 12:52 PM
So that's why it sucks!

LMAO!!!!

Ironcat
07-31-2007, 05:06 PM
1. Windows
2. Windows 3.1
3. Windows 95
4. Windows 98
5. Windows 2000
6. Windows ME
7. Windows XP
8. Vista
9. Seven

??

Cymae
07-31-2007, 07:58 PM
maybe ME and vista don't count and they're sorta just "hehe, you thought this was a REAL operating system didn't you?" versions

xRyokenx
07-31-2007, 09:43 PM
maybe ME and vista don't count and they're sorta just "hehe, you thought this was a REAL operating system didn't you?" versions
Seems like a reasonable explanation, lol.

Indybird
08-01-2007, 01:08 AM
I am one of the (very) few who actually love Vista. There are already so many features I love: Flip 3D (I actually use that alot), Aero Interface, Windows Sidebar, Windows Gaming, Digital Audio Integration, Network Maps, Problem Solving, Integration w/ 3rd party programs. If Windows 7 is only going to get better, then I want that even more. I would definitely not compare Vista to ME. Even in the worst-case scenario of using Vista (Bad comp, confusing update, etc.), Vista is nowhere close to as big of a P.O.S as ME was. At least vista is stable... ME was crap and everyone knows/knew it. Im not saying you guys are wrong about anything, I am just saying that Vista worked out great for me. Once apple starts getting good support for games (EA, Microsoft, Blizzard, Bethesda, Lucasarts), then I'll definitely think about making the switch, making a dual-boot or having 2 comps: one w/Mac, one w/Windows.

Cagedconnerman
08-01-2007, 01:34 AM
omg i thought i was alone Indybird, u and me gotta stick together now, and defend Vista from the haters

FuzzyPlushroom
08-01-2007, 07:30 AM
From what I understand, Vista's a lot like ME, except actually stable.

How?

Well, it "in theory" retains compatibility with 2000 and XP, just as ME did with 95 and 98; however, there are enough small changes that some things just refuse to work properly, if at all. It's got all sorts of spiffy new features, and the system requirements have been raised somewhat because of this, but it's just a set of shiny hubcaps over old steel wheels, it's not anything truly new and exciting. (Not that 2000 or XP were that bad, mind you, though I'd be hard-pressed to find a less-exciting GUI than Windows Classic.)

Seeing as nVidia's not bothering to put out drivers for nForce2 under Vista, I'm sticking with XP whether I like it or not. And for now, at least until they release a service pack or two for Vista, I do like it just fine.

Anyway, back on the original topic. I'm surprised nobody brought up the Slashdot joke of "seven deadly sins" as pertaining to Windows. Hopefully Win7 won't be slothful, greedy, and gluttonous, which I'm seriously worried about... and with Microsoft's history, I wouldn't rule out pride, envy (which of OS X's innovations will they use this time?), or wrath (copyright protection and, based on the current path of things, DRM?) either. As for lust, we'll see about that when it's released. :D

xRyokenx
08-01-2007, 11:49 AM
I like Vista, I'm just used to XP and don't want to change yet, especially since I wouldn't be able to take advantage of DX10 with my current rig, we'll see what happens in a few years when I (hopefully) build a new rig, I've just gotta start saving some cash every month (about $40-$50 I estimated) so I can make it happen.

XcOM
08-02-2007, 12:26 PM
i just worried about the price for the new windows?

I worked out why its called windows 7,

Windows XP is NT 5, Windows Vista is NT 6, so this is NT7. Heeee. I worked it out, stupid M$ and there naming crap so simply

Redundant
08-03-2007, 04:28 PM
I think they need to start with something completely new. That way, there will be no viruses, stability issues, or compatibility issues. Come up with a new type of GUI instead of a bar (Win) or a slate with floating pictures (OS:X) With so many new devices with touch screens, tying to push buttons on a skinny bar with your fingernail (Win:CE) is a bit difficult and people lose styluses. In addition, give system and program files REAL NAMES; it's so annoying to go into task manager and not know what half of them are with their cryptic names. "You can only fix up and patch up an old house so much..."

Windows Vista is still pretty nice though.

crenn
08-13-2007, 05:26 AM
I'll say this, the only time I've had problems with vista.... is when I ran it on a 5 year old machine. It runs quite fine on my system and super pi only suffers 0.5s delay, not enough to warrent a "it's full of crap" routine some would do.

With so many new devices with touch screens, tying to push buttons on a skinny bar with your fingernail (Win:CE) is a bit difficult and people lose styluses.
My fingernails are long for that very reason.

xRyokenx
08-13-2007, 10:07 AM
I'm just real careful with the stylus and if you lose it you could always use a plastic pen cap. My bro broke the one for his Nintendo DS so that's what he does, lol, a pen cap, like from those cheap Bic pens.

Xpirate
08-14-2007, 09:22 PM
I'm with the crowd that is not as impressed with Vista. I guess I was expecting a revolutionary change instead of the evolutionary change from XP. I was hoping for some bigger changes to the user interface. I'd like to see them make the next generation of Windows more like the CDE in Unix.

Airbozo
08-15-2007, 01:55 PM
Just got out of a meeting with our M$ OEM rep. They are pushing vista really hard and even offering rebates and such for volume sales. He kind of cringed when I told him that the FDA will NOT allow one of our customers to upgrade their systems to vista due to internal system issues (they won't tell us what they are, since it is proprietary and they are working with M$). This is mainly due to the fact the system is connected to a medical device and could potentially do harm to a patient.

Anyone hear of the recent issue at LAX? Where the people waited on planes for hours? This was the same thing that happened to us in February, but luckily we were closer to the front of the line. Turns out it was "an internal systems issue" with Customs/ Immigrations computers. The problem was related to Vista.

BTW: I was also told that server 2008 is launching in February 2008. The beta is available now.

Scotty
08-15-2007, 02:07 PM
it's easy to see why they want to release a new version.By then they will have been able to copy the look of the next Mac OS. And they know that Vista is crap :p lol.

Id say expect this version in more like 5+years knowing M$

crenn
08-15-2007, 07:09 PM
I thought Longhorn was being released in November.

As I've pointed out before, Mac is essentially Unix (actually FreeBSD).

If you've tried Vista on a good system, it runs fine. If you have 1 core, 1GB or less of RAM, and a slow (4200RPM) HDD, I wouldn't recommend vista. But there are tweaks to speed up vista. Maybe I should make a guide to speeding up vista.