PDA

View Full Version : Reviving a klunker

xavier2010
07-22-2005, 03:58 AM
Hellow everyone! I'v been working with computers for about 10 years now, but just now getting into the modding scene, and am currently learning as much as i can about the extra knowledge that goes with it.

Pretty much what i'm trying to do is take my old 350watt codegen-group server case and breath new life into it. Any suggestions as to what I should do with it will be greatly appreciated because it is a very bland case so there is much room to work with, but at the same time my creativeness is broken....

xavier2010
07-22-2005, 04:31 AM
The good.. The bad.. The cheap paint.

crappy pic of front of case (digital cameras dont take good pix w/out a steady hand)
http://www.geocities.com/xavier2010/DSC00909.JPG
old front of case in all it's glory.. now lets look at the 3d model :)

the 3d model will let me see what it will look like before i do anything to it. so any suggestions are VERY open.
second pic just for hootz
http://www.geocities.com/xavier2010/dsc00911.jpg
this is the right side panel in it'z 'prime'. i'm using it as a test panel for paint and design.

these are some ideas (and free templates so grad them!) that i would like to use IFFFF I decide to use flametemplates to paint my case. currently im thinking of doing exactly what the 3d model shows (except for that exact controller panel)

xavier2010
07-22-2005, 04:45 AM
oh btw, im only going with the mirror look with chrome (if humanly possible w/out blowing my funds), and black. im thinking of doing silver blue fades if i go with flames... hell i'll probably end up doing it... either way though thats the main color scheme im going with.

xavier2010
08-03-2005, 03:54 AM
NEW 3d model of what this project will look like finished!
http://www.geocities.com/xavier2010/xref.jpg

sXenoG
08-04-2005, 01:35 AM
Whatr you modeling in? 3ds? If you are would u mind answering a couple questions of mine?

GreekRage
08-10-2005, 06:32 AM
Looks good on paper...

But may i suggest not using the 2 80mm side panel fans?? (imo it makes it look cheap)

Consider doing a bottom intake (a 120mm for less noise).

Im pretty familiar with that case...its like the new kandalf right?
5 1/4 bays from top to bottom?

Very easy case to mod without too much of a hassle from the inside of the front panel ..

Well anyhow...i wish you the best of luck and dont forget....HAVE FUN!!.. ;)

xavier2010
08-11-2005, 01:45 AM
actually i have 2 things to say, 1. no im not using 3ds max, but bryce 4 (it's a whooooole lot easier!!!) 2. i have been thinking about the 120mm on the front. either that or 2 80mm, but i belive your right. right now im having trouble picking out a window. i would just get one cut, but it's a HELLL of alot cheaper to buy a precut. but i am having some problems trying to figure out what size i want. the biggest i can go with is a 13.5" x 15". before i wanted to try to find a 13.5" x 15" x 9.5" in the L shape but every single one is either way too big or way too small.. ANY HELP ON THIS IS VERY APPRECIATED! also i dont know of the case in which your talking but this one has 8 drive bays in total, origionally designed as a server case, production was stopped on this model only 2 months ago... and all drivebays are adaptable to hdd or cdrom size though internal brackets.

xavier2010
08-11-2005, 02:02 AM
PICTURE UPDATE TIME!!!
http://www.geocities.com/xavier2010/update1.JPG
looks pretty Fuggley doenst it?
http://www.geocities.com/xavier2010/update2.JPG
MY OH SO WONDERFUL fabricated front panel with diagnostic led's (only from msi motherboards)http://www.geocities.com/xavier2010/update3.JPG
this will look sooooo much better later...
btw, things you see in the picture..
sony camera- yep big pimpin'
Smart Joy- playstation dual shock/ddrpad to usb adapter (friggin rules on games that are compatible!)
The sims 2- my fionce plays it... sometimes... even though it cost how much money?!?!

*IF YOU ARE CURIOUS ABOUT THE LITTLE PINK THING IN THE BOTTOM RIGHT CORNER*
that is called a Cybiko Personal Computer that is fully programmable and sadly isnt worth crap now cause the company flopped.. i was going to custom program an api and mod it into the case to show temperatures and to control certain aspects of the system like the fan speeds and etc, but i dont know c++ good enough and i REALLY dont know cyC++ so i'm pretty much screwed on that.. if you got $5.00 and the money to get it shipped, it's all yours..

Aero
08-11-2005, 10:30 AM
shouldn't this be in the Worklogs section? But this looks cool, I like that color blue if you planning on painting it that color it would rock.

LOL, you have a Cybiko! I bought one of those bake in the day, untill I realized how the wireless worked and thought it was crap, so I returned mine.

xavier2010
08-15-2005, 12:52 AM
:) I was going to go with that color, but instead i'm going for mirror black... i couldnt get silver paint that looked right. my next update might take awhile as i am still trying to figure out what size and look of a window kit i want. i cant find anything that would seem to be the right size.

xavier2010
08-19-2005, 05:02 AM
BTW!!!
if anybody was wondering what's actually in this booger, it's modest but it'll run doom3 @1280x1024 all high settings (xcept w/ 4x aa of course) @ 80 fps so not too bad.
Codegen-Group 8011-C10 ATX Server Case W/350 watt psu
AMD Athlon XP2800+ Barton @ 333mhz FSB (doesnt ovrclk well) @ 2.01 ghz
512 MB DDR 333 (PC 2700) 1. Kingston 256mb 1. Offbrand 256mb
MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR Socket A (Socket 462) NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400
***DRUMROLL***
MSI NX6600GT-VTD128 Geforce 6600GT 128MB/bit GDDR3 VIVO AGP
Running @ 570mhz Core/1.04 Ghz Mem
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 6E040L0 40GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA133
Some Cheapass 8x DVD Player & Even Cheaper 16X Cdrom
I-MMT Keyboard (Standard black keyboard)
Logitech Mouseman Wheel (cant find those anymore, one of the first optical mice from logitech, had it for years and is still going strong!)
Some crackass 17" monitor i got as a handmedown.. being broke sucks...

xavier2010
08-19-2005, 05:08 AM
btw...is this too big of a signature?

[DGN]Nexus
08-19-2005, 12:56 PM
nah, that looks alright to me. The colors are the only thing that bother me, and how can you anely run on only 40GB? It'd drive me nuts...

xavier2010
08-21-2005, 01:14 AM
how about now? oh the 40gig? yeah i know... i need to upgrade

xavier2010
08-21-2005, 01:16 AM
hey as a supplies update, i now have a good sheet of lexan for the window. i'm now thinking of a full radioactive theme. yeah i know it's been played out like paris hilton has had 1 nighters but i'm thinking of something totally fresh. hopefully i'll have the mesh i need soon so i can start doing some real work to the case.

xavier2010
09-16-2005, 04:04 AM
Hellow everybody.. I know it's been awhile, there is no progress to my system. hurricane katrina got me. after makeshift fixing the phone line thats ripped out of the pole (really not hard i should become a phone guy :P) and getting a generator and using my fionce's laptop since my pwr supply sucks too much power, im finally able to reply to all of you again. this really sucks man.. been without power for about three weeks now, but whats even crappyer is there is people with power north south east and west of me!!! btw, if everybody is wondering i live in south mississippi, in pass christian where none of the big media cares to show where the hurricane ALSo hit. as a matter of fact it hit so hard here you cant go to the beach... at all.. why?? dead bodies. search and rescue and all that. half of hwy 90 is washed out. sorry for venting but this just sucks not on the government or anything just the situation. oh yeah.. btw, those army mres (meal ready to eat) dont taste good at all. not complaining, free food is free food just wish it was back to normal.. well i do have a new computer model for the final product. i cant post it right now though because it's on my desktop. i think you will all like it. not the doom3 mod by far but pretty pleasing to the eye. the code name for now is called the XFORCE 1 but i'm thinking about calling it katrina and making custom hurricane looking fan grilles. sound cool? well hope to post it as soon as i get power. l8r everyone!

xavier2010
09-21-2005, 08:46 PM
well, i'm back!!! got power? YES! been without a phone again for the past week cause the power guy's ripped the phone cable out of the box and buried it (dumb... really dumb..) but after sweltering like a pig digging it back out and reconnecting it, it's all back to normal :) well here is the new updated model of my system! *feel free to use as wallpaper! :)

http://www.geocities.com/xavier2010/x-force1.jpg

xavier2010
11-25-2005, 12:47 AM
new update: i now have a new 19" hitachi cm721f monitor (tube is still better than lcd for me) an lg external dvdrw, an hp multimedia keyboard (very functional, better than the old keyboard) and on it's was is a Hiper Type-R 580W Power Supply with modular 'areal' style connectors. this thing is sweet. very sweet. iv ditched the double 80mm front fan idea for a single 120mm since i need the extra space to mount memory card readers. hope to have new pix soon!

G h (+) s T
12-04-2005, 01:31 AM
We want pictures! lol

Nice 3d models, what program did you use to make those and btw.. nice cybiko LOL

Produkt
12-04-2005, 06:24 PM
Aww man, I love cybiko's When I get some time I will share my Cybiko Extream Case mod :P

xavier2010
04-29-2006, 01:50 AM
anymore info go to http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?p=27567#post27567
from now on.