PDA

View Full Version : Instafreeze

Zephik
07-31-2007, 02:26 PM
V3R4VAdCbTg

Another Link (http://youtube.com/watch?v=n_H5ZIoZSBo)

I just did that with a bottle of water by quickly tipping it on its side and then back up right again, so I went googling and picked up those two videos for quick examples. Does anyone know how this works? I did it at a party with a corona one time, but I never thought about googling it to find out how it works. After googling for info... I still can't find any information on how it works. lol

**update**

Beer Freeze (http://www.darylscience.com/Demos/BeerFreeze.html)

Ironcat
07-31-2007, 03:05 PM
Here's how... from your second freezie link

I put this Corona in the freezer for about three hours, took it out, and then banged it on the counter top. It's probably the coolest at home experiment to show off at party. Everyone that sees this thinks there's some sort of gel inside, but there isn't, just the process of "super cooling". Leaving the bottled beverage in an environment that is colder than zero degrees centigrade the liquid molecules achieve a state of temperature than zero degrees centigrade. When the bottle is tapped against the counter stop it disturbs the molecules and causes an ice crystal to form. This causes a chain reaction to occur hence the freezing of the whole beer.

Try it yourself:
1. Get a bottled beverage, glass or plastic, preferably glass. (non-diet/diet soda, Martinelli's, Beer, etc.)
2. Put it vertical standing inside a freezer for three hours. (Making sure that the freezer does not shake because this could disturb the process!)
3. Take the beverage out and tap it against a hard surface.
4. Watch the magic happen before your eyes and don't worry about wasting your precious liquid, it's still good to drink, frozen or not.

AJ@PR
07-31-2007, 03:10 PM
Here's how... from your second freezie link

I put this Corona in the freezer for about three hours, took it out, and then banged it on the counter top. It's probably the coolest at home experiment to show off at party. Everyone that sees this thinks there's some sort of gel inside, but there isn't, just the process of "super cooling". Leaving the bottled beverage in an environment that is colder than zero degrees centigrade the liquid molecules achieve a state of temperature than zero degrees centigrade. When the bottle is tapped against the counter stop it disturbs the molecules and causes an ice crystal to form. This causes a chain reaction to occur hence the freezing of the whole beer.

Nice explanation.

The water gets cooled below freezing temperature, but it's barely in liquid form.

If you watch the video again, you'll see them droping an ice cube or small piece of ice on top of the jar.
That's, quite literally, your ice seed.

The milisecond that ice (solid water) touches the super cooled water (liquid), the liquid water has a full crystalization starting at that seed.

Kick ass video man! :)

When the bottle is tapped against the counter stop it disturbs the molecules and causes an ice crystal to form. This causes a chain reaction to occur hence the freezing of the whole beer.
Yeah!
The ice can also form starting at the glass' surface.

w00t IronCat! phy51c5 c00l

Computer-Geek
07-31-2007, 07:18 PM
I'm trying this gotta wait till 10:00pm though to see if it will work. It looks so cool!

NamesAreUseless
08-08-2007, 03:07 PM
There's also this thing you could do, you add sodium acetate to boiling water, then mix it.When its done, pour it into a container then put it in your refrigerator for a couple hours.Then when the liquid touches any warm surface, it instantly freezes.This process makes it exothermic so if it touches anything different of its temprature it freezes the reaction happens quickly, so the ice actually forms so that for a few seconds, the ice is actually warm. Then again, you could always do that way on the vid and its way simpler.

There is a video on youtube to make it, just search for "hot ice".I dont suggest eating the ice though.

Spawn-Inc
08-08-2007, 03:09 PM
i've seen this on daily planet but with beer, fact of the matter. they said that the beer forgets if its a liquid or solid so then tap it on the counter and it freeze's. neat stuff science is.

Computer-Geek
08-09-2007, 06:46 PM
I tried it the other day and it was interesting lol.

XcOM
08-09-2007, 06:58 PM
i did it today with a bottle of coke, it froze, but in the process, the top of the bottle chattered, and it froze as it came out, looked like a frozen fountin

OvRiDe
08-11-2007, 04:52 AM
You can do the same thing in the opposite direction... if you heat water very slowly and don't disturb it, and it is in a very smooth surfaced container, you can get it above 212 F But as soon as you disturb the surface it will literally explodes into a boil. ITS EXTREMELY dangerous and can cause sever burns. Please don't try it yourself. I think both have to do with surface tension. I know there was a big warning about heating your coffee in a microwave. Apparently there have been several instances where they overheat their coffee and then when they pick the cup up, it breaks the surface tension and BAM.. They are covered in scalding hot coffee.

Y7iex05xZYE