PDA

View Full Version : Just Installed Ubuntu, any recommendations?

Indybird
08-01-2007, 05:02 PM
I just installed Ubuntu on my old dell and Im going to turn it in to a Halo 2 Dedicated server. I would have kept the windows but it was some weird, "special" evaluation (I don't even know) installation and would not work with most of the things I tried on it. So now I got Ubuntu, Do you have any recommendations for applications or drivers I should get to optimize my use of it?
Specs:
Intel Celeron 700MHz Processor
256MB DDR RAM
Intel Integrated Video
20GB IDE Hard Drive

Thanks alot,
Indybird

.Maleficus.
08-01-2007, 06:58 PM
If possible, run it without a DE. Only have 256MB and running Gnome will REALLY slow you down. (DE is Desktop Environment. If you ran it without one it would be a black screen, white text, and all command based, but who cares if it's a dedicated server?)

I really have no idea how to go about setting up the server portion though. There is really NOTHING on the net about Halo 2 dedicated servers other than, "How do I setup a Halo 2 dedicated server?" and none of those help. I'll keep looking though.

Edit: I couldn't find anything on Halo 2 servers, but you can setup a Halo 1 server. Actually, if you really only have a 700Mhz system, you can't (it's really the same requirements as running Halo). But, it can be done with Wine, because there isn't a Linux server client.

Indybird
08-01-2007, 09:21 PM
I for sure can run a Halo 2 Dedicated server. My friend has a very similar setup. Compaq: 800MHz Pentium III, 256MB RAM, Integrated Graphics
I don't think he's using "Wine" or anything like that...

.Maleficus.
08-01-2007, 09:22 PM
I for sure can run a Halo 2 Dedicated server. My friend has a very similar setup. Compaq: 800MHz Pentium III, 256MB RAM, Integrated Graphics
I don't think he's using "Wine" or anything like that...
Is it for PC or Xbox?

Either way, I'd really like to know how he did it. I'm kinda curious about this now...

lukeisthecoolest
08-01-2007, 11:13 PM
you could download Wine so you can run standard Windows programs on Gnome

i think you put in the terminal this:

sudo apt-get install wine

i think?

.Maleficus.
08-02-2007, 08:58 AM
you could download Wine so you can run standard Windows programs on Gnome

i think you put in the terminal this:

sudo apt-get install wine

i think?
Yep. I think you have to enable the universe and multiverse repos first though.