PDA

View Full Version : For all of you with AIM, ICQ, MSN, YAHOO etc

Greco101
08-02-2007, 12:38 PM
http://pidgin.im/pidgin/home/

AJ@PR
08-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Wow... it runs google talk.

I wonder how it stacks up compared with Trillian.

:):)

Thanks!

FuzzyPlushroom
08-02-2007, 02:02 PM
I use Trillian on here, but Pidgin on the old machine (1 GHz Athlon). Both of them do just fine, though I've been lending my mother the Athlon for a while now, since her P4 system died, and getting it running again is proving to be a nuisance.

I'll likely have something more useful and intelligent to say about it once I get the ol' Bird back. Either way, it beats the pants off the official clients!

Cooper
08-02-2007, 02:24 PM
It was gaim if i understand correctly. I tried putting this on my suse HDD and it wont install for some reason.

lukeisthecoolest
08-02-2007, 05:49 PM
i use Gaim on linux(Ubuntu) and that is enough for me cause i only use AIM.

ESX
08-05-2007, 01:08 AM
i use Gaim on linux(Ubuntu) and that is enough for me cause i only use AIM.

Uhh, Gaim = Pidgin ;P
And yea, I've got it somewhere, and it is quite buggy.

XcOM
08-05-2007, 10:18 AM
i never had a problem with gaim, or pigin.

Cymae
08-06-2007, 01:03 AM
any idea why they changed the name?

Cooper
08-06-2007, 08:53 AM
No Idea, I dont use it anyways. I grew out the whole "chat" thing years ago when I was an admin for MSN chatrooms. I barely even turn on my messengers.

FuzzyPlushroom
08-07-2007, 03:33 AM
According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pidgin_%28software%29#Naming_dispute):

"Pidgin was originally known as GTK+ AOL Instant Messenger. In response to pressure from AOL, the program was renamed to the acronymous-but-lowercase Gaim. As AOL's IM program AOL Instant Messenger gained popularity, AOL trademarked its acronym, "AIM", leading to a lengthy legal struggle with the program's creators, who kept the matter largely secret."

crenn
08-13-2007, 01:21 AM
For those who don't want to install instant messaging and don't need file transfers: www.meebo.com

isunktheship
08-15-2007, 06:17 PM
Been using it (pidgin) since the day it came out, formerly gaim, best messenger system out to date imo.

The only problem I have with it is that your friends need to be on it to send files... occasionally it will work with other nonpidgin users.

luciusad2004
09-08-2007, 10:41 AM
I like using these programs that can replace most of my other chat clients but the problem i have with them is that they never seem to support video or voice chat. This used to be a non-issue but since my girl friend got her new laptop w/ built in cam/mic she likes to video chat with me.

Are there any chat clients out there that support video/voice?

To be honest it doesn't really matter because i only use aim anyway... but i usually think that these programs are nicer.

Elenril
09-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Skype is your obvious option for voice chat. It also has an instant messaging feature.

As for video... I've never needed to try it out for myself, but I'm pretty sure msn has something like that. But knowing microsoft, it'll probably be really bad.

EDIT: Did you mean the 'all-in-one' chat clients? If so, then my post is completely redundant, sorry. (I only ever use msn myself, so I don't know if all the others like aim already have voice chat and all that jazz.)

luciusad2004
09-08-2007, 12:45 PM
Skype is your obvious option for voice chat. It also has an instant messaging feature.

As for video... I've never needed to try it out for myself, but I'm pretty sure msn has something like that. But knowing microsoft, it'll probably be really bad.

EDIT: Did you mean the 'all-in-one' chat clients? If so, then my post is completely redundant, sorry. (I only ever use msn myself, so I don't know if all the others like aim already have voice chat and all that jazz.)

Sorry about that, i should have been more clear. I want an all in one client that has video support. I currently use AIM. (ichat if i am on a mac, but that is just AIM with an aqua interface.)

Like i said, i don't worry about it to much because i don't really use any other chat clients. I have an MSN but i don't use it because i have no one to talk to on it... i only have 3 friends

My girlfriend (who is never on it, i made the account for her so she could talk to me while i am playing on my 360
My mom (also never on it)
One other friend (He can be found on aim)

From what i understand its a geography thing. If i left the USA, i hear i would find a lot more people who don't use AIM.

Crazy Buddhist
09-08-2007, 01:12 PM
Sorry about that, i should have been more clear. I want an all in one client that has video support.

Trillian Pro does what you want

:)

luciusad2004
09-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Is Trillian pro free or a pay version of Trillian?

I always assumed that the reason these programs don't include video support has to do with licensing or not having access to the technology to do it.

Crazy Buddhist
09-08-2007, 01:26 PM
It's the pay version

luciusad2004
09-08-2007, 01:37 PM
I don't think i need it enough to justify paying for it. I just wouldn't use it all that much. Thanks for the info though.

Exley
09-12-2007, 06:01 PM
i love gaim/pidgin, it does everything i need it to do and doesnt have ads at the top or install gigabytes of AOL software.

xRyokenx
09-12-2007, 09:27 PM
I've been using Pidgin lately, much nicer, not all flashy or any of that crap, and it works, unlike MSN.

Crazy Buddhist
09-21-2007, 01:48 AM
I don't think i need it enough to justify paying for it. I just wouldn't use it all that much. Thanks for the info though.

Skype does video/voice chat for free. Use that with yr girlyfriend and aim with your mate .. or better get him to use skype and you're sorted in one client.

:)