PDA

View Full Version : Virus Issue

Zephik
08-05-2007, 04:09 PM
So I'm pretty sure its a virus, it might not be, I don't really know for sure. But it is a huge pain in the butt. Every anti-[insert name] program I use can't seem to get rid of it. I've tried using the programs in safe mode too, AVG found something that time and it did get rid of it because I made sure that the file no longer existed, but I guess that wasn't the virus I was looking for because it didn't fix anything. So I'm not really sure what to do anymore. I don't want to buy a new OS because I don't want to spend $90, though I couldn't even if I wanted to because at the moment all I have is a $50 and I'm trying to save that for a rainy day. I could install Ubuntu or a similar OS, but I don't really want to. I like Windows. Its a love/hate relationship lol.

These are some of the symptoms.

Windows loading on startup has become irritably slow.
Opening up programs or file folders has also become irritably slow, even just clicking on the Start button takes longer than it should.
Games such as WoW and War Rock load very slow, then the gameplay is very glitchy or its glitchy then it crashes a few minutes into the game.
Applications such as Sketchup and Azureus (for examples) make my computer very slow. Everything slows down when those are active. The mouse cursor barely even moves across the screen when I move my mouse.
Video playback is glitchy sometimes, if I don't have anything running its usually fine. But I shouldn't be limited to watching videos OR (for example) browsing the web. I should be able to do both of those at the same time if I so wish.
System Idle is high even when my system isn't idle. Maybe thats fine and its supposed to be like that, but it just seems kind of funny to me that the cpu usage is 90-100% when I'm using the computer. Its supposed to use the cpu when I'm not using it isn't it?

That basically sums up the symptoms. My laptop was fine one day, then the next day (I think it was after installing something, which is why I think its a virus) it was like this. I don't remember what it was that I installed, but I do remember that I uninstalled whatever it was the day all these things started happening. Obviously, that didn't help. lol.

So can anyone help me?

dgrmkrp
08-05-2007, 04:36 PM
Hmm.. you could try googling for a free, run from the internet, antivirus.. if it can't find anything, than your windows install is f*c**d :( So, backup time and make a list of the programs your using.. better this way.. then install something that gives you basic networking, sound and video.. Wait it out and a new OS will come from somewhere ;) There are lots of unix/linux/others out there and while you wait for a new windows disc, you can try the games that come with the distros you are trying :)

Scotty
08-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Have you run any Anti-Spyware/Malware programs? SpyBot, Adaware, Spyware Doctor(that's great!)

Could be your harddrive aswel, how old it it? that might be a problem.

lukeisthecoolest
08-05-2007, 05:42 PM
i would suggest going to download.com and picking up:

anti-virus (AVG and other ant-spywares)
registry cleaner (speeds up ALOT of stuff)
pick up anyother software they recommend to speed up stuff

HackSore
08-05-2007, 05:45 PM
You could always try using system restore, restore your comp to a date when it was working ok, and if you still suffer with the same problems, then it may be a hard drive issue.

Also, for antivirus, i have found AVG to be pretty awful, and have found Avast to be much better, and it is free.

Zephik
08-05-2007, 06:10 PM
Have you run any Anti-Spyware/Malware programs? SpyBot, Adaware, Spyware Doctor(that's great!)

Could be your harddrive aswel, how old it it? that might be a problem.

I've ran Avast, AVG for Antivirus, I've also used AVG Anti-Root kit as well as AVG anti-spyware.

I have a Inspiron 9200, so not too old. Maybe like 2003.

i would suggest going to download.com and picking up:

anti-virus (AVG and other ant-spywares)
registry cleaner (speeds up ALOT of stuff)
pick up anyother software they recommend to speed up stuff

I don't think its a matter of speeding things up, but rather getting things back up to speed. But I already have AVG and Anti-Spyware. As well as Anti-Root Kit.

You could always try using system restore, restore your comp to a date when it was working ok, and if you still suffer with the same problems, then it may be a hard drive issue.

Also, for antivirus, i have found AVG to be pretty awful, and have found Avast to be much better, and it is free.

That was the first thing I did, is use the System Restore. No luck though. I tried doing the CTRL F11 trick, but for some reason, my lappy doesn't have that partition. Although, I am using a wireless keyboard. So... maybe when I hook up my laptops keyboard, maybe then it will work. I'll have to wait though, Commando has my keyboard atm. lol

I've actually found just the opposite. Avast didn't really do anything for me. But I've heard good things about it, but for me, it didn't work. I ran it twice in regular mode and safe mode, but AVG was the only one that found a virus. I like the way Avast looks, its cool looking. :p

HackSore
08-05-2007, 06:29 PM
I've actually found just the opposite. Avast didn't really do anything for me. But I've heard good things about it, but for me, it didn't work. I ran it twice in regular mode and safe mode, but AVG was the only one that found a virus. I like the way Avast looks, its cool looking. :p

It was the other way around for me, AVG missed a couple of nasties on my system which other AV progs picked up.

Cymae
08-06-2007, 12:01 AM
I would suggest going to Trendmicro's site and running their in-browser antivirus, housecall. It's very good.

Crazy Buddhist
08-06-2007, 02:50 AM
So can anyone help me?

Yes.

1) download new installation packages for your antivirus software and anti-spyware (antivir and Spybot S&D AND Adaware is the min package for free software imho).
2) de-install the existing installations.
4) go into safe mode with networking.
3) install from the new downloads, update and do full system scans

Try the Trend Micro Housecall online scan after that.

It may also not be a virus but it does sound like potentially part of your problem.

It may also be that your windows is just getting cruddy and actually needs a clean install. If the software you installed just screwed your windows up it could have the same effects. Every year or so is the maximum I ever let a copy of windows run before utterly destroying it and starting again just to show it who is boss.

EDIT: before doing the step described below I would run a hard disk checking utility. If you don't and your disk is failing the work of defragmenting the drives can tip it over the edge.

If you don't want to do that then use Hijack this and find out what is booting at startup - take out the crap. Do a disk cleanup on all your drives then defragment every drive - twice.

Make sure you have all the windows updates.

Search google for "Windows services tweak guide" - Black Viper has a good one. Go in and turn off all the services you aren't using and especially the ones with security implications used by bugs and spyware - the Black viper guide is a good one as to what you can safely turn off.

As I sit here writing this to you I have task manager open and My CPU is running at 0% ... every now and again it hops to 2%, probably becuase some bit of background software is sticking its nose up. Your CPU should not be behaving the way it is. My CPU only goes to 100% when I ask the computer to do something and then it doesn't stay there often for long.

It could also at a stretch be a driver corruption causing this behaviour. So I would be sure all your Mobo and add in drivers are fully up to date and patched as well.

CrazyB

Crazy Buddhist
08-06-2007, 02:54 AM
I second the Hard drive as needing investigation too. If the hard drive is failing and reallocating it's spare sectors this will have exactly the effects you are describing.

I also used to like AVG however I found that about two years ago it started losing its edge at keeping machines clean for me. I switched my allegience to antivir from www.free-av.com.

CrazyB

Commando
08-06-2007, 03:01 AM
Snowfire,

Yes it's me, (I've still got his laptop). It's in the mail by the way.

Dude, a couple of Aps that have made me the performance man:

SpyBot
AdAware
CCleaner

and a good defrag.

Zephik
08-06-2007, 06:20 PM
I would suggest going to Trendmicro's site and running their in-browser antivirus, housecall. It's very good.

Finished that last night, haven't had a problem since really. Its still a little slow, but its definitely better than it was before. Playing games is still a bit iffy, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But at least its better than it was before.

Snowfire,

Yes it's me, (I've still got his laptop). It's in the mail by the way.

Dude, a couple of Aps that have made me the performance man:

SpyBot
AdAware
CCleaner

and a good defrag.

haha, good to know. :)

I actually used CCleaner right before using that Trendmicro thing. I've heard a few people recommend Spybot and Adaware, so I"ll try those next to see if that will once and for all fix everything. I'm also going to run a defrag, I'm sure this laptop hasn't had one of those in a long time, if at all.

@CrazyB. You are packed with information aren't you! lol. If everything else doesn't work, I'm going to do all of what you said. It should only take me a few hours. :p

If all of that doesn't fix it, then its either windows or my hard drive. Or both. I'll buy a new hard drive first, then if that doesn't fix it, I'll have to fresh install windows. If THAT doesn't work, then I'm going to chuck it out the window lol, save Commandos awesome work of course. :p

crenn
08-07-2007, 11:23 PM
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/programs.php

Download HiJackThis and create a log and post the contents of the log here. There maybe something hidden. Normally when I get a virus, I use HJT first. Oh, don't do anything else, HJT can make problems worse if you don't know what you're doing.