PDA

View Full Version : What to do with this 10yr old PC.......

elbarto241
08-06-2007, 06:11 PM
what to do with a 10yr computer. it was a 233mHz AMD-K6. 64bit Direct 3D graphics. the motherboard still work, as so the harddrive, and PSU. the only thing that needs replacing is the CDROM which i will take off my dell and throw it on here. i think i need to reinstall the ancient windows 95 to get it running again. thats where the questions start coming up, can i do this with the QuickRestore disc it came with? or will i have to order something else from Microsoft...?

another question, is it worth all this work to get this PC up and running again or should i just let it kick the bucket once and for all? if i do get it running will it be able to simply run slideshow of pictures on its HDD? what other uses does this PC have?

any help is greatly appreciated :D

FuzzyPlushroom
08-06-2007, 06:22 PM
If the hard drive's of reasonable size, I'd consider using it as a home server (not for movies, but for music and office-type files it'd be fine). It'd also be a good firewall, Linux box, or terminal - put it in your workshop, give it Win98SE or 2000 and a wireless card, and you can have a cheap reference machine so you don't have to move far to look something up. Pop 128 MB of RAM in (if it can take SDRAM, anyway; 64 at least, no matter what), and it'd be livably quick with either OS. (My PPro at 233 with 64 MB runs Win2000 tolerably well, though I'm pretty patient.)

Hope one of these ideas appeals to you, or else one someone else provides.

SgtM
08-06-2007, 08:22 PM
I'll vote for a linux based home server/firewall as well. It's fun just to muck around with.

lukeisthecoolest
08-06-2007, 09:36 PM
1. climb onto your roof with computer
2. throw computer off roof
3. dance

;) works everytime

xRyokenx
08-06-2007, 09:41 PM
I'd go with the Linux server. That's what I'm gonna be doing with my old PC as soon as I get new RAM (not sure which kind, I'll look at it when I get home in case anyone thinks they have some they don't need anymore) and all that, maybe a TS server (personal use, always fun to talk over that, esp. since I don't have a phone), etc. I'd like to learn more about Linux, but we'll wait 'til I have a PC to "muck around with" before I try to understand anything... advice? PM me, lol.

Well, you can do that or donate it museum, lol.

elbarto241
08-06-2007, 10:14 PM
LOL. as much fun as that sounds i rather do something productive with this PC :D

xRyoekenx, i dont think any museum would want this computer :D

so i guess the vote is unanimous :D LINUX SERVER IT IS!!!!! now.... all that is left is just to find out how to get it running ... and how linux works...

SgtM
08-06-2007, 10:28 PM
Cool linux guides located here (http://www.howtoforge.com)

Mitternacht
08-07-2007, 12:01 AM
I blow it up.
_Dm-SDJ2_DE

lukeisthecoolest
08-07-2007, 12:39 AM
oh and yay u spelled elbarto right in your sig! yay for hooked on fonics!

Crazy Buddhist
08-07-2007, 03:31 AM
I'd go with

a) a Linux firewall

b) blow it up at a party.

c) turn it into a PC reserved only for visiting babies (anyone else noticed babies are keen to get their hands on computers and no one lets them !)

CrazyB

alphastryk
08-07-2007, 09:30 PM
webserver/firewall

my old webserver was an AMD K6-2+ before the mobo died...