PDA

View Full Version : How To Turn a Mini Maglite Into a Laser

AJ@PR
08-09-2007, 10:43 AM
from /.

Lucas123 writes
"Using the laser from a DVD burner, this instructional video shows you how to create a hand-held laser that is powerful enough to light a match and pop a balloon (http://lifehacker.com/software/diy/turn-a-flashlight-into-a-handheld-burning-laser-287252.php). There's some soldering involved and the Maglite's bulb housing needs to be drilled out to fit the new laser diode, but with some basic skill, most people could do this. Just plain cool."
Update: 07/09 12:23 GMT by KD : Warning, the device that results from following these instructions will blind you if you look into it.

Read More (http://slashdot.org/articles/07/08/09/0412215.shtml)
And here are the comments @ +5 (http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?threshold=5&mode=thread&commentsort=0&op=Change&sid=264967)

WARNING::: This is dangerous. Neither me, nor TheBestCaseScenario take ANY responsibility over what you do with this. Safety 1st!

xRyokenx
08-09-2007, 11:14 AM
Looks cool... I'll have to go buy another one of those things and make one after I get some experience at school from soldering, lol. Can you use the laser from a CD drive too? Or is it just the burner?

EDIT: If you look through some of the reviews, they have a link to an article on the Geneva Convention concerning laser weapons, this may be considered as one, and if so, it is illegal to possess and/or make. Just a warning, be careful guys.

AJ@PR
08-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Can you use the laser from a CD drive too? Or is it just the burner?

I'd imagine you can use the laser from a CD drive...
Just don't expect 'burning'.

xRyokenx
08-09-2007, 11:25 AM
I'd imagine you can use the laser from a CD drive...
Just don't expect 'burning'.

Just read on that... if I get a cheap burner I'll go ahead and use that, I like the one I have now. The DVD burner I have burns a disc in about 5-15mins and my CD burner burns a disc in about 5 mins... makes ya wonder if it's the fast processor or the burner... /OT

AJ@PR
08-09-2007, 11:29 AM
^^^
Are those burning times for the same disc?
Or are you comparing a 800MB CD with a 4.7GB DVD?

wierd

xRyokenx
08-09-2007, 11:32 AM
They're not for the same disc. The DVD Burner doesn't burn CDs worth a **** and the CD Burner has obvious limitations. It's for the corresponding discs, lol. I burned a backup copy of something (full disc, I think too) and it did it hella fast. I'm wondering how it's burning so quickly... I'll do a check of it when I get home, remind me, and I'll post it on here or PM you if you want.

D1337
08-09-2007, 12:52 PM
+rep

*gonna test it on some squirrels*

.Maleficus.
08-09-2007, 03:51 PM
Damn, I only have my one DVD burner (that I never use but it's nice to have). If both my burners were DVD burners, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Do you think it would work with CD burners? I've got a few laying around, but I don't want to destroy them for nothing...

Edit: Turns out I have a DVD burner from a dead eMachines case. COOL! I'm definitely going to do this.

Omega
08-09-2007, 04:18 PM
I'm pretty sure the Geneva convention only covers Laser "weapons" illegal in warfare, and even if it doesn't, you're not making an uber-high-powered laser, just enough to annoy people at the worst =/

AJ@PR
08-09-2007, 04:45 PM
Guys,

Acclaratory note:::
THIS LASER IS EXTREMELY POWERFUL AND DANGEROUS.
No, I am NOT kiddin'.

I doubt a CD laser will work.

This laser can cause blindness, burns in the skin, fsckup the rods/cones inside your eyes...

So, let me state it mildly:::
If you run around with this thing, pointing it at people... you're a Class A Asshole.

If you're not doing that, enjoy.

SgtM
08-09-2007, 05:08 PM
Damn, I only have my one DVD burner (that I never use but it's nice to have). If both my burners were DVD burners, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Do you think it would work with CD burners? I've got a few laying around, but I don't want to destroy them for nothing...

Edit: Turns out I have a DVD burner from a dead eMachines case. COOL! I'm definitely going to do this.

Sounds like it's worklog time to me! I had an idea to do this before to make a laser etcher.

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5850

Omega
08-09-2007, 05:16 PM
Mini Maglite + CNC Mill = CNC Laser Etcher?

...=o

rendermandan
08-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Guys,

Acclaratory note:::
THIS LASER IS EXTREMELY POWERFUL AND DANGEROUS.
No, I am NOT kiddin'.

I doubt a CD laser will work.

This laser can cause blindness, burns in the skin, fsckup the rods/cones inside your eyes...

So, let me state it mildly:::
If you run around with this thing, pointing it at people... you're a Class A Asshole.

If you're not doing that, enjoy.

and if you do end up injuring someone, you will go to jail big time!

D1337
08-09-2007, 06:49 PM
not if your burn the retina's of the cops and run away!

"Mini Maglite + CNC Mill = CNC Laser Etcher?"

I would mount it on my hubcap, and burn through the tires of all the cars attempting to pass me.. very james bond like.

.Maleficus.
08-09-2007, 06:57 PM
StgM, I could do a worklog, but I'm already half way done. I WILL post finished pics though, and if it's allowed, write up a small guide. I just need to get laser housing from Radio Shack (or wherever you can get them) and solder it up. Drive is taken apart and laser is sitting on my kitchen table.

Edit:... Damnit. I have 2 lasers, and I don't know which is for reading and which is for writing. I guess I'll just try both out, eh?

xRyokenx
08-09-2007, 07:16 PM
If I make one, it will be for practical uses, not as a weapon, I've had my taste of court and that was too much.

crenn
08-09-2007, 07:23 PM
Should also look at green lasers.

xRyokenx
08-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Lol, would go great with my font... I'd like either a green or yellow one though, both are cool.

crenn
08-09-2007, 07:28 PM
The reason I say look at green lasers is the fact that they're slightly more powerful.

D1337
08-09-2007, 07:29 PM
I can see it now, "futuristic case mod" featuring a working retina "scanner"
I wonder how many people would try to see if it would scan their eyes and work, only to go blind...

lukeisthecoolest
08-09-2007, 10:24 PM
Edit:... Damnit. I have 2 lasers, and I don't know which is for reading and which is for writing. I guess I'll just try both out, eh?

use the red laser!!!!

the other one is an IR laser and will burn ur eyes out without you even knowing!!!

you can thank me later for saving ur vision ;)

I would mount it on my hubcap, and burn through the tires of all the cars attempting to pass me.. very james bond like.

can u actually do this cause i am only a minor and i am trying to squeeze in all illegal activity before i turn 18 :)

If I make one, it will be for practical uses, not as a weapon, I've had my taste of court and that was too much.

continue.....

.Maleficus.
08-09-2007, 10:31 PM
can u actually do this cause i am only a minor and i am trying to squeeze in all illegal activity before i turn 18 :)
Yeah, 'cause nobody is arrested before they're 18 :rolleyes:

Anyone know how I can test the lasers before I put them in the flashlight? I tried one with a AA battery, but nothing happened.

D1337
08-09-2007, 10:42 PM
look directly into it and to make sure its not IR, if its IR you'll see the smallest bit of light showing

xRyokenx
08-09-2007, 10:45 PM
look directly into it and to make sure its not IR, if its IR you'll see the smallest bit of light showing
Lol, yeah, that's gonna happen. :D

Indybird
08-10-2007, 01:50 AM
I've always wanted to get a Wicked Laser (http://www.wickedlasers.com/), but they're expensive as hell. This looks like it has the same power, so I'm definitely going to try this.

-Indybird

DaJe
08-10-2007, 02:01 AM
I myself have a green laser. I have two burners I could rip apart to make this. One is an old 8x, and the other I believe is 18x, and is also a lightscribe burner. If I had to destroy one, I would rather it be the 8x one. I'm just not sure how powerful the laser is in it though. Any ideas?

.Maleficus.
08-10-2007, 08:16 AM
I myself have a green laser. I have two burners I could rip apart to make this. One is an old 8x, and the other I believe is 18x, and is also a lightscribe burner. If I had to destroy one, I would rather it be the 8x one. I'm just not sure how powerful the laser is in it though. Any ideas?
It shouldn't be too weak, and I mean, either way it will have some effect on what you point it at.

Also, just a tip for anyone doing this, you'll need a #0 Philips head screw driver. The screws around the lasers are tiny! Gave me a reason to buy some new screwdrivers though.

DaJe
08-10-2007, 05:36 PM
I have like every size and shape of screwdriver ever needed. I have like any tool I would ever need. It all started when I came here. I seem to have tools exactly made for doing this. I also decided to use my lightscribe drive. It was only $30. And when I got it, I bought 2 of them, and then decided to give one to my brother/ So I'm taking the one I gave him, so I won't even miss it. Maybe I'll make a worklog out of this.

Mach
08-12-2007, 01:44 AM
150mW? This is from a friend who just built one. He says that he can melt plastic and heat shrink tubing but the focal length is only about a foot.

Spawn-Inc
08-12-2007, 01:47 AM
how long does it take to light a match or melt things?

SgtM
08-12-2007, 03:54 AM
how long does it take to light a match or melt things?

And how is it at etching? Anyone tried yet?

D1337
08-12-2007, 04:57 AM
In a video it showed some guy etching his initial's on a floppy disk, it was slooooow and didnt look good

crenn
08-12-2007, 05:13 AM
That's why you use a machine to do it!

Mach
08-12-2007, 10:04 AM
Dunno, he was dragging it across a piece of plastic and it was leaving a smoke trail. I don't think it could be used to etch. It's not hot enough to vaporize, just melt and the light is about 3mm across at the focal length where its hot enough to do damage.

I'm guessing its on par with wicked lasers 125mW red laser which can burst a balloon or light a match in about a second. I say guessing because I haven't seen it in action.

crenn
08-12-2007, 10:28 AM
There is always a way to pump up the power!

Mach
08-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Mai oui, its called mo' money.

.Maleficus.
08-12-2007, 02:56 PM
And how is it at etching? Anyone tried yet?
I'm close. I got the laser to power, I just need to transfer it to a flashlight. I bought some LED holders to use instead of the laser housing, but it's the same idea. I need to get the laser out of the metal holder it's in, put it in the LED holder, and flashlight it.

Crimson Sky
08-12-2007, 07:21 PM
I can see it now, "futuristic case mod" featuring a working retina "scanner"
I wonder how many people would try to see if it would scan their eyes and work, only to go blind...

I'm not liking you at all. The thought of blinding cops, helpless animals such as squirrels, or anything else is pretty disturbing. I don't want to see this **** on my forums.

xRyokenx
08-12-2007, 07:40 PM
The thought of blinding cops, helpless animals such as squirrels, or anything else is pretty disturbing. I don't want to see this **** on my forums.

I agree... I see these kind of things as a toy, but in immature/uncareful hands these laser pointers are weapons. If I make one, I am going to be very careful with it, but I'm probably not going to as a) I have college and all coming up and b) I have kids in my neighborhood that don't listen and take stuff from people and other crap where it would be my fault if they got ahold of something like this, no matter if I gave it to them or if they broke into my room and stole it. Just a thought...

Redundant
08-12-2007, 07:40 PM
I'm not liking you at all. The thought of blinding cops, helpless animals such as squirrels, or anything else is pretty disturbing. I don't want to see this **** on my forums.

Oh no, looks like you guys upset god. :lick:

jdbnsn
08-12-2007, 08:00 PM
Oh no, looks like you guys upset god.

To be honest, alot of the staff are getting fed up with some of the topics lately. There has been alot of violent remarks, sick humor, borderline illegal discussions, and we're just tired of it. I predict heads will start rolling soon if folks can't get back to moddin.

Crimson Sky
08-12-2007, 08:23 PM
Actually I really like the cool laser mod, it's when people post ugly ways to hurt people and animals with it that disturbs me.

Spawn-Inc
08-12-2007, 08:43 PM
yes i agree, i don't mind killing ants or bugs becuase they don't really show any kind of emotion, at least i can't tell or see any. anything that makes noise when it gets injured i wouldn't hurt or kill. it just makes me wonder how "advnaced" we are when people go around killing people for fun or over some stupid gang sign crap. ohwell guess its always going to be like that...

progbuddy
08-12-2007, 09:26 PM
The only difference between a CD burner and a DVD burner is the strength of the focusing lens. CD burners are slightly weaker than DVD burners, as DVD burners have a higher focus than CD burners.

Also, the beam can be made stronger through various techniques (convex lenses, Fresnel lenses, mirrors, etc.). I think it would look good in a case mod with a few mirror arrays and some added "smoke."

Just don't hurt yourself. Lasers burninate things.

xRyokenx
08-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Some people are intellectually advanced and such, most are not. Keep that in mind, lol.

crenn
08-12-2007, 10:06 PM
I'm thinking of this for some laser etching!

.Maleficus.
08-12-2007, 11:05 PM
Everyone keeps mentioning etching with these, what do you plan on etching, plexi? Metal? I don't see the use, if it isn't very hight powered..

How fast do you think it will die if I give it more than 3V? The bastard was at 150F after 3 seconds I swear (at 6V heh..) but what about 4.5? Or would it be more worth while to work on the lenses for more heat/power?

progbuddy
08-12-2007, 11:05 PM

Bingo. You could always use a convex lens to focus the beam.

Omega
08-12-2007, 11:43 PM
I kept thinking of viable uses for this thing as a tool, ie, you're stuck in the wilderness and need to start a fire, why rub sticks together when you can turn on your laser for a few seconds?

Or perhaps an alternative to a lighter for smokers or lighting a stove or grill or something?

Or just popping balloons and lighting matches because you can, that works too. :banana:

Zephik
08-13-2007, 12:11 AM
I kept thinking of viable uses for this thing as a tool, ie, you're stuck in the wilderness and need to start a fire, why rub sticks together when you can turn on your laser for a few seconds?

Or perhaps an alternative to a lighter for smokers or lighting a stove or grill or something?

Or just popping balloons and lighting matches because you can, that works too. :banana:

How would you power it up out in the middle of the wilderness? A lemon tree? :p

I agree with your last statement though. I don't really see any viable uses for this mod, but it sure would be fun to have if you had a bunch of balloons!

Just remember what we all learned from "Honey I shrunk the kids", lasers can be dangerous! lol

crenn
08-13-2007, 12:16 AM
Everyone keeps mentioning etching with these, what do you plan on etching, plexi? Metal? I don't see the use, if it isn't very hight powered..

How fast do you think it will die if I give it more than 3V? The bastard was at 150F after 3 seconds I swear (at 6V heh..) but what about 4.5? Or would it be more worth while to work on the lenses for more heat/power?

It's possible to have it so you could use variable voltages on the laser with relays, such as one voltage for etching, another for testing/targeting your piece. And because my idea is to have the laser stationary and have the material moving, it might be possible to implement some cooling so you can use 6v. But the other thing is to have a lens to focus to a tiny dot. That way you can have multiple settings by just adjusting the height of the lense in front of the laser... or at least that's my thought. I wonder if it's possible to get it working... worm gears maybe..... Oh well, when I can afford it, I'll let you guys know when I'm building it.

How would you power it up out in the middle of the wilderness? A lemon tree?

I agree with your last statement though. I don't really see any viable uses for this mod, but it sure would be fun to have if you had a bunch of balloons!

Actually yes, you could make a few lemon batteries if you have the right material.

Also, it's one of those because I can moments.

Omega
08-13-2007, 01:20 AM
How would you power it up out in the middle of the wilderness? A lemon tree? :p

You have your mini-laser-maglite in a bag. A plane you're in crashes. It still has batteries in it.

So yeah. Batteries, dood, batteries. Anybody who carries a flashlight with no batteries in it is retarded. :banana:

ownaginatious
08-13-2007, 01:35 AM
yes i agree, i don't mind killing ants or bugs becuase they don't really show any kind of emotion, at least i can't tell or see any. anything that makes noise when it gets injured i wouldn't hurt or kill.

But bugs are still living things 0.o It's not nice to harm them intentionally, unless of course they are trying to harm you (i.e. A horse fly or a mosquito).

D1337
08-13-2007, 03:46 AM
You have your mini-laser-maglite in a bag. A plane you're in crashes. It still has batteries in it.

So yeah. Batteries, dood, batteries. Anybody who carries a flashlight with no batteries in it is retarded. :banana:

Im guessing the laser caused the plane crash in the first place.

Omega
08-13-2007, 04:24 AM
Im guessing the laser caused the plane crash in the first place.

Probably not.

Again, this isn't really a viable weapon. While you're too busy pointing it at somebody all they have to do is hit your or move =/

also, getting into the cockpit of a plane is probably impossible after 9/11 so...

DaJe
08-13-2007, 04:36 AM
Speaking of planes, it's a felony to point a laser at a plane, just so you guys know. Though you should NEVER point a laser at another human or animal anyway. As for me, I have lasers already, I like lasers, I know lasers, I know the dangers. I even put a big disclaimer on my worklog. I have one particular green laser than can go for 4.7 miles. As for my maglite laser, I'd most likely only be using it in a controlled environment, and wouldn't anyone as touch it, as I can't trust them with it. But you know, I think I'm just going to back out of this thread now. It's already gone too far off topic and has become to much of an arguement.

crenn
08-13-2007, 07:22 AM
It hasn't gone too much off-topic..... well I don't think I have....

crenn
08-14-2007, 07:46 AM
Would anyone like me to draw up my 'etching' station idea?

DaveW
08-14-2007, 10:00 AM
Bingo. You could always use a convex lens to focus the beam.

That's not how lasers work. Lasers use a concentrated beam of parallel lights. Basically, the principle relies on 'constructive interference' (google it) allowing for a single beam to increase in intensity. Although pointing 2 lasers at the same place will increase the energy into the target, pointing a laser into a convex lens will not cause the beam to become 'more focussed'.

Just thought i'd clear that up.

EDIT: Oh, and you'd need a concave lens...a convex lens would spread the beam further appart...

-Dave

progbuddy
08-15-2007, 02:43 PM
That's not how lasers work. Lasers use a concentrated beam of parallel lights. Basically, the principle relies on 'constructive interference' (google it) allowing for a single beam to increase in intensity. Although pointing 2 lasers at the same place will increase the energy into the target, pointing a laser into a convex lens will not cause the beam to become 'more focussed'.

Just thought i'd clear that up.

EDIT: Oh, and you'd need a concave lens...a convex lens would spread the beam further appart...

-Dave

concave (http://sciencekit-onlineservices.com/images/SK_glasses1.gif)

convex (http://www.opticasoftware.com/documentation/Rayica/RayicaGuide/HTMLFiles/index_285.gif)

Even though the principal of a laser is to concentrate light in one direction, you could increase it's concentration by lowering the surface coverage of the beam. Convex lenses create a focal point, even with lasers.

Also, either a convex or concave lens will cause a spreading of the beam, but one creates a focal point, and the other does not.