PDA

View Full Version : questions on ABS Plastics

keldon
07-26-2005, 01:07 AM
I just started pulling apart the case on my old system for some light modding work. The front panel is ABS plastic and has some groves cut into the face. I am going to fill in them and block out the whole front case so it is smooth. In order to fill in the groves I am planing on cutting patches out of spare 5 1/4 drive bay covers which are the same type of plastic -ABS-. Then prep the plastic with 100 grit dry, wash it all down and then use some sort of plastic repair epoxy? for the actual work. My questions are, are there any suggestions for materials to use. Am I going about this the right way or am I wasting my time working with plastic. I have done some body work on cars so the tools and methods are familar to me but I am not sure what to use on ABS plastic. Can I use fiberglass or do I stick with plastic epoxy. I was told that locktight makes a good 2 part epoxy that comes in a handy little dispenser. I am going to paint this as well, prob with enamel from a can or maybe a single stage vinal dye from a gun depeding on the color. After it is sanded down I am going to hit it with primer then block that out then the paint. Do I need to use a sealer after the primer, and should I use a plastic prep solution such as that used on automotive bumpers. I do have pics of the work I want to do if it helps

Keldon

Crimson Sky
07-26-2005, 01:55 AM
Your plan to fill in the grooves with plastic scraps sounds fine--You should use Zap-A-Gap (cyanoacrylate or "super glue") to adhere these pieces on--very strong and easy to work with. Bondo is the material of choice to fill in the gaps afterwards, followed by sanding and priming with paints.

Epoxy tends to remain gummy long after (sometimes weeks)it cures, making it a pain to sand and finish. Bondo also makes a marine fiberglass repair kit that is also good for body work on ABS surfaces--it comes with a yard or so of fiberglass material and a 1/2 quart of resin. This stuff also sands clean and smooth, ready for paint. Caution, Bondo is pretty toxic so use outdoors and protect your skin!

keldon
07-26-2005, 08:32 AM
Thnks, I will check out the stuff and will post some pics of the project when I get a sec.

crazybillybob
07-27-2005, 04:12 PM
JB Weld will also work, JB Kwik drys faster. You can sand and shape it just like the plastic. bondo and Fiberglass will stick to it as well. I've used this on alot of this (plastics, alum, steel, wood,etc) you can pick it up at your local hardware or autoparts store (even wal-mart and the likes carry it!)

Good luck!
Crazybillybob

public_eyesore
07-27-2005, 05:20 PM
yep i agree, bondo is a mmans best friend, for cars or cases :)