Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Doom3: Project Mars City (Comments Only)

Default Re: Doom3: Project Mars City (Comments Only)

I decided to do away with many of the mechanical switches and buttons on the mod and go for solid state with an IR remote control--because how cool is RC??-- I picked up a 12 Channel IR Relay Board (in kit form) and assembled it in about 2 hours. The nice thing about this board is that you can have an on/off configuration on the channels or momentary switching, or a combination of both. To test it out I hooked it up to the blast door module--works like a charm.

Remote1

Remote2

Remote3

Here is the air intake vent for the HDD cooling fans. This scratchbuilt piece uses some styrene sheet, modder's mesh and two copper plumbing elbows. To get the sublte shading in the paint, first it was airbrushed, then hand detailed and finaly a soft shading with Doc Browns' weathering powders applied with a sable brush. This is pretty much how I painted the entire mod.

Intake1

Intake2

Intake3

Intake4

Intake5
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

CRAZY!!!! AWESOME!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Your the best!!!

Rankenphile

/jaw drops

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

/on both kneees /begging
    Put up a weathering guide!!
    \off both knees \end begging

:omg:
    That paint is great!!!
    The Remote is way cooler than buttons! Cause your Right R/C Is cool

Crazybillybob

Fresh Paint

Paul can you please explain what this means or does.

"a soft shading with Doc Browns' weathering powders applied with a sable brush"

Thanks

Ooops..it's actually "Doc O'Brien's"

From www.micromark.com:

"Doc O'Brien's weathering powders let you create an old, weathered appearance on scale vehicles, military models, trains, figures and aircraft. The ultra-fine powders are dusted on to simulate the effects of time and the elements. They're also used as weathering washes when mixed with water. One kit contains enough powder to weather dozens of models. Instructions included. Non-toxic. Twelve color set includes Dirty Brown, Mildew Green, Grimy Black, Gritty Yellow, Rusty Red, Faded Blue, Rusty Brown, Grungy Gray, Patina Green, Desert Sand, Highlight White and Muddy Red."

Instructions for #81632 Doc O'Brien's Weathering Powders
    Weathering models with powders is easy, and fun!
    Just follow the few steps below to obtain expert results.

Cover your workbench with newspaper to avoid soiling it with spilled powder.

Select the colors you want. Remove the lids and place them top down on your workbench in front of each color.

Use a small brush to pick up powder from the jar, then pat the brush on the lid. Apply the color to the desired area of the model. Then brush out and blend the color with a large soft brush.

The best effects are obtained by applying color in the following order: rust (on parts representing iron or steel), then white, and then the top color, usually dirt or grime.

White is used to provide a highlighted base-coat for subsequent colors and really brings out details. Grimy colors work well to tone down and blend underlying colors.

Apply as much or as little color as you want. If you apply too much, simply wash the powders off with a little soapy water, let dry, and reapply.

Powdered colors may be sealed in place with a very light coating of a flat clear spray; however, the intensity of the weathering will be diminished by the clear coating.

Doc O'Brien's Weathering Powders can also be used as weathering washes by mixing them with water or thinners. Be sure that the thinner you select is compatible with the surfaces you are weathering and experiment on a scrap piece before applying to your model.

We have found that models made of wood stand up very well to handling without too much of the powder rubbing off. If you weather a structure that won't get handled much, a clear coat may not be necessary.

Ahhh Crimson! I just noticed the IR remote!

I swear I was just writing you a PM with an offer to make you a Keyfob RF remote RX for cost of parts for your Doom3 mod.
    Now you already have that big old line of sight IR remote bah!

The keyfob OEMs I use are easy to take apart to paint and come in 1 button, 2 button, 3 button, 4 button, and 5 button configs.
    -Gutte
    No, I'm not a compleate Idiot!
    Some parts are missing.

Hey thanks for the offer--or "almost offer"---I'll be using over 8 channels to control features on the mod--plus the switching capability can't be had in a teeny iMac candy plastic keyfob remote. Who cares about RF really. How far do you have to get away from your PC to activate things anyway

Beats me, I use one to power on me PCs and lights
    Different channels per room, now to make me a channel switcher so I can power all from one remote hmm sounds like a good senior project for my B.S. less they force me to do some companies project (I like picking my own personally)

ESP my firewall one cause I'm too lazy to get up and turn it on when I want to use my laptop and wifi. My next project is a PS2 loop though which will allow me to send the [Ctrl]+[alt]+[del] scan codes to my Linux firewall to shut it down heh. I'm guess I'm getting REAL lazy, esp. since I can shut it down via SSH before I turn a PC off. I say who wants to wait for putty to load when I can press one button!
    -Gutte
    No, I'm not a compleate Idiot!
    Some parts are missing.

Case Wizard

Very Nice Crimsonsky! Looking good as always and making everyone drool.