Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which OS to use?

Custom Title Honors

Default Re: Which OS to use?

lol. I don't have any sisters, but I live in craptastic WI also. Yes I do have aim, just reinstalled it actually. I'll look for you if my friend plays hudini again. lol will probably need help though anyways.

Custom Title Honors

**UPDATE**
    1. I can barely keep my eyes open. Been going since 6am 8/13...no damn good i tell you.
    2. I installed FreeBSD and tried startx, thought it was going to work said this failed and that failed. I was using a USB mouse and a graphics card. Said Pointer failed and seen something about driver for Radeon. Took both out and used integrated video with a PS2 mouse.
    3. I was able to reinstall FreeBSD, I think I had to install one of the desktop environments like KDE or Gnome. I picked Gnome, and it let me into a desktop mode which I still don't know what I'm doing.

I sent a message to my friend to let him know it's installed and awaiting more info. I was going to wait to update but knew the sooner I update the sooner I get more info from you helpful people. Thanks again and hope this is somewhat useful. Hope there are no mistakes or few. TTYL and goodnight

If you want to use the USB mouse and Radeon card, all you need to do is edit the X.org config and enable the right drivers for it. It may seem like a big task but it's really not too bad.

Gnome is good. KDE is yucky. You'll eventually find where all the little things are in Gnome, and all the little tweaks you can do to customize. For now, just learn where things are located in the menu bars.
    RIP Bucko

Custom Title Honors

I can reinstall again and pick gnome now that I know what to select. When KDE opens it is just 3 black command prompt styly boxes and a clock thing in the upper right corner. Is that all it's suppose to be? And I plan on running the server without the desktop open, just thought this would've been easier.

Thanks.

Good job Outlaw! You are 20% on your way to being a sysadmin...

Hehe what Mal said about the X.org file, and I will see if I can take some screen shots to show you what to edit. Not sure about the KDE desktop. Been a while since I fired that one up, but I do know it is really a system hog.

Not having the dekstop running is not the same as NOT having the X-server running, since the X-server is eating up resources even if you do not log in to the desktop. Once you get everything setup to your liking and want to turn off the X-server, it is as simple as changing a 3 to a 2 in the /etc/inittab file. Again, once you get everything running and IF the system is slow, then I would change it to no graphics. You may just have enough power to run CS server and the X-server.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Custom Title Honors

Well... between you guys and my friend helping me, I probably wont need the desktop. I don't have to install it. Like I said I just thought it would be easier, BUT I also didn't know when it's not running it's still running (get that? lol). So I will reinstall and just have it without the desktop. Since I don't know how to use either I don't have any bad habits yet like being 100% dependant on a desktop. Also I have run a Counter Strike (1.6 and CSS) Server before, just using Windows and and the steam tool for Dedicated Server. But with this going to be a private server that is going to be used for scrims and what not I'd like to get the most out of the hardware even though my internet connection is the biggest problem.

Thanks again.

PS- Only 20% eh? How do I get 100%? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    Have a photographic memory.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    Well... between you guys and my friend helping me, I probably wont need the desktop. I don't have to install it. Like I said I just thought it would be easier, BUT I also didn't know when it's not running it's still running (get that? lol). So I will reinstall and just have it without the desktop. Since I don't know how to use either I don't have any bad habits yet like being 100% dependant on a desktop. Also I have run a Counter Strike (1.6 and CSS) Server before, just using Windows and and the steam tool for Dedicated Server. But with this going to be a private server that is going to be used for scrims and what not I'd like to get the most out of the hardware even though my internet connection is the biggest problem.

Thanks again.

What you may think about doing is installing X11, setting up the server with a GUI, and just not use it when you're done (like what AB was talking about using runlevel 2 or 3). Unless you feel up to command based everything right away (not a bad way to do it actually). If you choose the text-based route, you'll need to install a text-based internet browser like links or lynx. That way, you can type say "links http://www.google.com" and have a text version of Google come up. Then, you can browse to the download site of the server software and be on your way. If there is an option to install something like that right away (there should be) do it. Then, it will likely just be a matter of "tar xvjpf serverstuff.tar.bz2" and then "/.configure". Pretty easy stuff when it comes right down to it. People make the CLI so scary... It's really pretty easy, and waaaay more efficient than using a mouse and GUI to find/do everything.
    RIP Bucko

Custom Title Honors

I have no problem learning to do everything without a desktop. Just need lots of help. But right now, i can't see it on my network, so I am back at nowhere. The only thing I can remember that I changed from last time was selecting minimal install as possible. Would that make a difference?

Last few times in setup, it auto filled the host name which is my ISP, DNS, and gateway. When I ran the install this time, I had to manually type it in. Any ideas why?

What I did to troubleshoot:
    Changed cables on different ports of the router
    Reinstalled FreeBSD(maybe did something wrong)