Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project: Page 5

Default Project: Page 5

OK, starting this thread here, since I have yet to do more than get a name, a theme, and decide which case to start with.

This will be my first "true" mod, and I want to be sure I get some things right that I've never done before.

Firstly, I'll be starting (most likely) with the Mountainmods U2 UFO Horizon. The case is designed to fit the massive Thermochill 1203 rad. I have zero watercooling experience, but I want to run my system cool. I'm even considering sticking a peltier under that waterblock.

So, from a background in fluid dynamics, I know the reservoid needs to be above the pump, but should it be the highest part of the whole system? If you look at the case I plan to use, I was hoping to use a drive bay res, but those are at the bottom. Perhaps in the upper secondary power supply port on the back side via some custom fittings, or even a completely custom res?

I like the lines of the case, so do not plan to have anything hanging outside the case, especially since it may travel to LAN parties periodically. So mostly, this will be minor and cosmetic mod. Of course, that all may change as I get started LOL.

Anyway, I hope to get the case ordered in the next month. Maybe I'll re-install sketchup and mock up some stuff.

BTW: Page 5 is a reference to a tabletop miniatures game I play. More info on that to come as the mod and graphics get planned.

Default Re: Project: Page 5

Man that's a monster case. You may think about putting casters on it if there's even a slight chance of taking it to a LAN, because that thing would be a PITA to move.

Also, there is a forum here called the "Idea Zone", which is where you post your ideas before you start the log. Don't worry though, a mod will probably move it there for you.
    RIP Bucko

It comes with casters

And, oh yeah! Feel free to move it to the idea zone if you wish, mods!

OK, one week later and the plans are already changing. I really like the mountainmods case, but the price tag is a lot steep, and I'm on a budget...

So, instead, I'm looking at som Lian-Li cases. Heard nothing but good about them.

As mentioned before, I intend to water cool, so I need to ask questions of anyone with experience with some of these cases.

First, I was considering using the PC-A05 case, it's an interesting design in that the power supply is in the lower front of the case. It looks like I could put a single rad on the 120mm fan port on the back, but it might be a bit tight. Also, I'm not sure but I may end up needing more than the two 5" bays.

My second choice was the PC-60A Plus II but it also looks like it might be a tight fit, because I dont want to have to put the rad hanging out the rear, I want everything internal.

This brings me to the PC-V1000A Plus II. I've seen this case used several times, and it seems to be fairly robust and roomy.

Anyone have any experience with these cases? Contrary to the original idea, I am now trying to keep this case towards the smallish side for portability. I'm leaning towards the V1000A, with the rad on the bottom front 120mm fan and probably the pump right in front of it after removing one or both of the HDD cages.

Austral Alien

Quote Originally Posted by Killdrath View Post
    First, I was considering using the PC-A05 case, it's an interesting design in that the power supply is in the lower front of the case. It looks like I could put a single rad on the 120mm fan port on the back, but it might be a bit tight. Also, I'm not sure but I may end up needing more than the two 5" bays.
    Click on the Mini-Rat link part of my signature to see a slightly smaller case again made by iCute. It also has the front PSU and it has three 5.25" bays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Killdrath View Post
    It comes with casters
    Which ones? Butcher, Vlad, Sorscha, Irusk, Karchev, or the Old Witch? :p

Hurry up and post some designs!

*wonders how many people he just confused*

Quote Originally Posted by ORB View Post
    Which ones? Butcher, Vlad, Sorscha, Irusk, Karchev, or the Old Witch? :p

Hurry up and post some designs!

*wonders how many people he just confused*

And why would you be so sure it's Khadoran?

It is... but why so sure? LOL As for WHICH caster... not 100% sure yet. Probably Sorscha, though in the game I never use her, preferring Vlad and Karchev.

I plan to start fashioning fan grills this weekend, so will go beyond the idea phase at that time.

Bucko: Yeah, I considered that, but I dont like the flip-down hinged doors. I like the clean-face design of the lian li. Thats also why I didnt pick a case with a door over the drive bays, though some of them would have made for some very cool front-case art.

OK, after a bit of thinking, and some photoshopping, I have a mockup of the case side window. The image will be on the window, and just transparent enough to be lit up from within. It also nicely hides the drive cages.

The icon on the bottom left will also be prominent on every fan grill as soon as I get around to drawing up the plans, and printing out a template.

OK, due to time and budget constraints, This project has been 100% tossed out and started over.

I have just placed an order for my new Coolermaster RC-690
    Coolermaster RC 690

Given that I live only a few hours drive from Newegg's warehouse (and they estimate a 1-day delivery), I hope for this mod to progress from "Idea" to beginning to teardown the case and make solid plans by this weekend!

OK, the case arrived, plexi is ordered. Tonight, I strip the case down and begin. I might do a little review on the case, since it is a new model, before tearing it all apart

The design for the case is coming together in my head. If I had any artistic talent, I'd do it up in sketchup, but I have a hard time even getting the pre-made components to fit.