Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LinuxMCE

Default Re: LinuxMCE

Quote Originally Posted by OvRiDe View Post
    Finally a solution where you can share a TV tuner across your network that has a usable interface is exactly what I have been waiting for. Or at least an interface that the wife and kids can actually use, vs something like VLC etc.
    There is something for windows that's been out for a few years:
    http://www.smcmobile.ro/index.php?lg=en
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

I need more computers! Great find man. +rep once I spread it around first.

EDIT - you have been repped.

WOOOOT!!!!!!one!!! <-- always wanted to do that.. I'm done now.

Anyways, I've got it up and running! Core box (server) is a Dell Precision 370, running a Prescott p4 with 2gb ram, and 80gb hdd. Added a FireGL ATI video card (yes overkill, only spare pci-ex card I had around..) and a Realtek 8139 nic (yes, two nics total).

Install was smooth, with only minor troubles with the monitor attached to it.. some out of range errors initially, but sorted that out quickly.

Quick tip 1: If you are using anything other than a 6xxx series Nvidia card, select UI option 1: "No overlay", or you will get OpenGL initialization errors.. and they are a pain.

Select the 800x600 @ 60hz option first, just to make sure you can get it to run. You can always choose a higher resolution later.

Just follow the prompts for the install, and you'll be running in no time.

The reason for the two nics is: one nic accesses the rest of your network, and the other feeds the client boxes. You MUST do it this way, or the built in DHCP/PXE server will fight with your DHCP server on your router/server/whatever. You basically end up with a separate network just for the client boxes to make this work right. Which is fine, as they need LOADS of bandwidth to make this work. If you have a spare gigabit switch and nic's kicking around, this project should use them.

"But wait.. pxe server?" Yes, adding a diskless client is as easy as plugging it into the "internal" (linuxmce only) network, and setting it to boot from the network. I'm using the remains of my Compaq laptop with no drives attached at all, and set to boot from the network. I added a keyboard and mouse to it, speakers, a monitor, and a usb bluetooth dongle (I'll explain that in a bit). It fired up, and is currently doing the client setup (which will be stored on the server to allow faster startups in the future.

Quick tip 2: If you are sitting waiting for something for a really long time, and you think it's frozen, go get a drink and wait longer. The PXE client setup is taking 10-15 mins so far.. really slow for the first setup. SHould be quicker after this, but I'll post again on that when I get there.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

The subsequent boots on the PXE clients are MUCH faster.. almost as quick as a decent desktop machine booting XP.

The USB bluetooth dongle is automatically configured, and allows the use of the Fiire remotes (as seen in the Linuxmce video), bluetooth input devices (keyboards,mice), and the communication with bluetooth cell phones.

I revamped my server setup also.

Intel D820 CPU
    asus p5ld-vm mobo
    2gb Kingston DDR2
    80gb sata hdd
    dvdrw sata
    7200gs
    realtek 8139 nic

During the initial setup, choose UI1, no overlay, and continue the install. Once it's completed, go into the Kubuntu desktop, and edit the xorg.conf to use the nv driver, rather than the nvidia driver.

Once this is done, reboot, and run the config wizard again, then select UI3, alpha blending. Yay! Looks like the one in the demo video now!

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro