Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Project: Shark

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Default Re: Project: Shark

AWESOME a new update. I was wondering if this mod had died Mal, good to see I was proven wrong. Sucks about your 8800GT mate. Those RAM coolers are pretty good. I have one which I am currently modding for LEXA lol.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Quote Originally Posted by The boy 4rm oz View Post
    AWESOME a new update. I was wondering if this mod had died Mal, good to see I was proven wrong. Sucks about your 8800GT mate. Those RAM coolers are pretty good. I have one which I am currently modding for LEXA lol.
    Yeah, I seriously didn't realize how long ago my last post was. I figured it was 2 weeks or so, but then again, I didn't realize it was almost August . At least all that time was put to good use. Now I have money to mod!

So what do you think about the changes? Is the Asus P5Q any good? I wouldn't even mind spending $200-$250 if the board would overclock the hell out of the QX6700 and the RAM, but the P5Q seemed like a good performer for the budget minded.

Actually... just checked Newegg and this board looks pretty nice (though I can't find any reviews). Asus P5QC. 6 DDR2 slots, 8 SATA and the MOSFET sinks aren't connected to the n/bridge so I wouldn't need to replace them. That might be the way to go for $150.
    RIP Bucko

Pretty cheap for a DDR3 board. I haven't heard anything bad about the ASUS P5 series, then again I haven't heard much about them at all.

The heatsinks remind me of the Sydney Opera House lol.

Quote Originally Posted by The boy 4rm oz View Post
    Pretty cheap for a DDR3 board. I haven't heard anything bad about the ASUS P5 series, then again I haven't heard much about them at all.
    That's the thing really. They have gotten pretty good reviews on Newegg (P5Q and P5Q-D anyways) but there aren't a whole lot of them. I really don't care too much about SLI since the 8800GT is still a pretty bomb card by itself so what I really need is a good overclocker. The 680i had FSB holes everywhere and even with XFX's BIOS there were still problems. Not to mention the layout of the 680i was repulsive. I really like how the P5QC has all the front connections on the bottom; with my 680i they were thrown all over the place.

Motherboards are so tricky... Maybe I'll just scrap all the hardware and get a Skulltrail rig .
    RIP Bucko

Ah that's why I got a DFI LANParty 680iLT. It has all the features of a fully fledged 680i board (bios and expansion slot wise) but the layout has been tweaked to be 100% enthusiast friendly. All the connectors are on the bottom right corner of the board and it also has heatsinks on little hot spots which manufacturers usually forget.

I was considering a DFI board since they are enthusiast oriented (and they made the best 939 boards IMO) but the X48 and P45 boards (I think that's what they were) were pretty expensive and since I won't be using CrossFireX why pay extra for it? I'll probably wait for some reviews of the P5QC before I buy anything, but for $20 more it seems like a much better deal. 6 DDR2/3 slots and same layout.

Anyways... I've got a big project planned out for today, before I go to work. I've got a little corner in my basement with all my computer stuff that needs to be cleaned out, and while I'm at it I'm going to set it up with some tables and all my modding gear. Before, during and after shots will be up tonight.
    RIP Bucko

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Are regular dual-core xeons compatible with skulltrail? I'm trying to convince my friend to go that way.

http://processormatch.intel.com/Comp...rdname=d5400xs

Compatible processor list for Skulltrail. Have him go with this - Asus Z7S WS. It's compatible with the 51xx, 52xx, 53xx and 54xx series of CPUs. He can pick up 2 quad core E5405's for $480, instead of $800+ for one Skulltrail compatible CPU.

Edit: Plus, unlike the Skulltrail it is regular ATX, not E-ATX. Pick up two of those CPUs, a couple of decent coolers and 2 4850's and you'd be off to a good start .
    RIP Bucko

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

His specs are here, and of course, his cpus aren't compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    His specs are here, and of course, his cpus aren't compatible.
    Asus Z7S WS dude . It'll dominate those CPUs, and he can do CrossFire in the future (if he drops the 9800GX2). Can I just ask, why the hell does he have a computer like that?! Is that his home computer?
    RIP Bucko