Thread: Semi-Bricked USB drive....ugh

ATX Mental Case

Default Semi-Bricked USB drive....ugh

I have a PNY Attaché 512mb USB Flash drive that I bought for school. The problem is that Windows now thinks that it is an optical drive. When I try to "Explore" or "Open" it, all I get is a message that says: "Please insert a disk into Drive J:".

I've tried everything I can think of, Format, Populate drive (under properties), Eject, AutoPlay.

I think Mac OSX on the school computers is what screwed it up. But I was told that I could use it to transfer files between the OSes. What gives?
    E2180 (2.0ghz) | 2GB DDR2 800 Tracers | 8600GT 256mb | XFX 610i nForce mobo | Lanbox Lite
    Intel Atom 230 - 1.6ghz | 2GB DDR2-667 | 945GCLF Mini-ITX | Apex MI-100 case

Default Re: Semi-Bricked USB drive....ugh

from what i know you can only use w window's formatted drive with windows and mac with mac. i'm not sure if this will work but try plugging in the flash drive then click Start>right click "My computer">Manage>Disk managenment and try to format it in there. i'm not sure if it will make a difference or not but it helped me with my new hdd.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

could be some registry values, have you tried it on another windoze machine?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

I use my external hdd (and several others) with both OSX and XP, along with my USB flash drive, so that should not be the problem at all. I believe OSX can run FAT and has a problem with NTFS.
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
    -Mark Twain

OSX can read NTFS fine, however, it has limited writing capabilities for NTFS.

If you want to use a drive for OSX and XP, you must use the FAT system. Normally, all USB thumb drives are formatted in FAT.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!