Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Finished the Industrial Htpc case --- Pics insides...

Default Steel framed htpc with plexi surface

Hi,i am new here and I think i found a great community for my modding ideas...I a have the idea of building a framed htpc with metal angle 2'' X 2'' with surface in 1/4 plexiglass.I want something that will record video (pci tv tuner card) and maybe a mid-range 7600 gt graphic card I also think of amd in maybe am2 or older socket 939 with 1go of ram...

The ''special'' thing on this mod is that I will forge and weld all piece of steel together with a MIG welding machine.I have some question that need answer tought...

1)Where can I found a power and a reset button?
    2)If I split tv cable with a cable splitter will i change tv channel at the same time if I change channels with the tv tuner remote?
    3)Can I have all the hardware for less than 350$? (Forget about the steel and the plexi I have it free,I just want to know for the pieces...)
    4)Is there a place where I can found mother tray

Thank!

Default Re: Steel framed htpc with plexi surface

Just found this : http://cgi.ebay.ca/nVIDIA-GeForce-61...QQcmdZViewItem

I think I will not take a graphic card,after all I want something cheap,maybe I will put this money in more ram or a big hard drive...

I saw on the internet that the integrated geforce 6100 video circuit is great (It can run doom 3 at 24 fps!!!) Anyway it is not for gaming but more for surfing and recording video...

Quote Originally Posted by electro143 View Post
    2)If I split tv cable with a cable splitter will i change tv channel at the same time if I change channels with the tv tuner remote?
    Welcome to TBCS!

If I understood.. you want to split the cable behind the TV, and then run one to the TV and one to the computer.. you're wondering if you're watching something on the TV and the comptuer at the same time, and you change the channel on the TV, does it change the channel on the computer.

No it doesn't. Now, the only exception to that would be if you're running the cable to the computer from a box.

So, here's the setup.

Wall ==>> splitter ==>> -1-> TV (digital box..) -2-> PC

Let me know if you have other questions about that. I used to install cable.

1)Where can I found a power and a reset button?
    Rip them out of any old computer? Look on a dump .. in friends attics .. under beds .. there are plenty laying around

??? this question isn't clear so I will answer it both ways:

1) If you split the input cable - before it goes into the TV card - the TV card remote will only alter the channel on the TV card, not on any other devices the split cable leads a signal into.

2) If you split the output from the TV card the remote will change the channel on all devices that output goes to.

3)Can I have all the hardware for less than 350$? (Forget about the steel and the plexi I have it free,I just want to know for the pieces...)
    Probably if you shop around, without any trouble at all. There are some links in this thread to information that might help.

4)Is there a place where I can found mother tray
    Do you mean a motherboard or a motherboard tray? If you mean a tray .... well .. that old computer you found under your friends bed and stole the power button from will happily donate you a motherboard tray if you approach it with a Jigsaw, dremel, anglegrinder or just about anything else that cuts metal

If you mean a motherboard then ... a computer shop or ebay would be good places to start.

Also you can just fabricate one (tray not motherboard) - from plexiglas or wood or teddybears (BE CAREFUL WITH THIS OPTION: ARTIFICIAL HAIR CAN SOMETIMES BE HIGHLY ELECTROSTATIC)

CrazyB

Quote Originally Posted by SgtM View Post
    Welcome to TBCS!

Let me know if you have other questions about that. I used to install cable.
    Damn you SgtM ... posting appropriate answers whilst I draft my lengthy replies. I will beat you to the "Submit Reply" button one day

CrazyB

I think I will not take a graphic card,after all I want something cheap,maybe I will put this money in more ram or a big hard drive...
    "Expand Slots
    1 PCI Express x16 slot
    1 PCI Express x1 slot
    2 PCI slots
    "

I think the presence of that PCI-Express slot indicates highly that it will take a graphics card - but like you say you may not need one.

CrazyB
    Last edited by Bucko; 08-09-2007 at 09:25 AM.

Just finished the up and down 2'' x 2'' metal angle base.I also applied a little couch of glossy anti-rust paint for preventing rust on this week-end.

I also cut the base plexiglass will do the same for the top...I also found this on ebay : http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWA:IT&ih=020

I just want to know if the power and the reset button are on 12v... I will also take the drive bay from an old case that laying around...I have some good idea..

A+++

Austral Alien

The power and reset buttons on a PC aren't a powered thing. The switch simply completes the circuit. You won't find a 12v feed off the wires there. With those switches you'll probably find there is an additional connector for the power. You can find 12v on the yellow wires of your PSU's molex connectors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

I know that the power button don't need 12v (Im an electromecanician,and I play very often with circuit and domestic ac and dc current).The thing I want to know is if the inside led of the button on the 12v can be feed by the motherboard (You know this power and hd reding led...)

The power LED connects on the motherboard header for the front panel. This is where you usually find the hdd and power led connections. look at your motherboard manual to see which pins.

CrazyB

LOl,I know all this the question I ask is : Are the front led are on 12 v?

they run off the mobo direct I have no idea what voltage it is passing to them.

Anyone?

LOl,I know all this the question I ask is : Are the front led are on 12 v?