Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: hdd led thingy

Overclocked

Default Re: hdd led thingy

Crazy billy theres a simple way to do this without having huge numbers. make the variable first equal to one. Now using an if statement what you would do is have it so if the varaible is one then add one, else subtract one. So that the only two numbers ever present are one and 2.I havent read what is needed for this mod but for the program ur speaking of since you only need odd and even my method will work as I had to use it for alternating colors on a php shoutbox i made.

EDIT: Oh and I just read the who jk flip flops thing... Well to say the least ive used these b4 and hated every moment using them. I had to do things more sophisticated with them. But to say the least, i do not recomend them to a novice unless you have a program like circuit maker where you can test the wiring first. Breadboards got very messy when i used this chip and i must say I LOVED programable chips far more than jk's.

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pointedsirforky
    i think we've lost sight of the fact that what we're now talking about doing with a micro-controller could be done with 2 chips, small amount of wiring. Cheaper, simpler, probably more reliable.
    Pointed,

If there is an easier way to do this please step up to the soapbox and let us know. (I sometimes go stright to the easier for me method and skip the easier for everyone else method ).
    Crazybillybob

Anodized

heh, dont really want to steal your thunder or anything. microcontrollers are teh cool afterall, but, for what we're trying to build here, I dont think it needs to be that involved.

Now, I'm making a promise here. Someone hold me to it if things get hairy around here and I dont get it up in the next day or two.

> I'll draw up a schematic and a layout diagram for the logic needed to drive this. Soon. <

Anodized

As promised - the first half - the logic layout.

If anyone sees anything wrong, please let me know, I havent designed this sort of stuff in years.

I haven't tested it. But off the top of my head it looks like it should work....and it should cost all of $5 at radio shack for the parts.... one thing you might want to put a current limiting resister on those LED's.

Good call Pointy, I didn't even think of inverting the in first...Just did, fipflop willn't work.....Microproc time..

2Big you should have no priblems with this man! Go to Radio Shack pick up some perf board and the parts and your home free. (or check Oatley's website to see if you can get some parts cheaper from them...they are in OZ too)

Crazybillybob

Anodized

The input isnt inverted, just buffered. Technically all the gates on a given IC should be used, even just dummy loaded, so, perhaps I should do something with the fourth one, too. Keeps them from randomly oscillating and causing issues elsewhere. To the best of my knowledge, the flipflop should be fine on its own, though.

Current limiting resistors are a must, didnt include them here because I've forgotten how the math works to figure out a value.

Assuming 5 Volt supply and it's a Superbrite LED (0.047A) R=E/I
    Then R=5/0.47 or R=106ohms. Your not going to find a 106ohm resistor So you could use a 100ohm in series with a 10ohm. I would use 1/2 Watt type. Both you can get at radio shack.

Now for a standard LED you would need a 150ohm cause it can only handle 0.020a. That is also available @ Radio Shack.

Pointy,
    You could tie the input and output to ground on the 4 gate That's Ok with a CMOS chip.
    Now I see that it's an AND gate, I thought it was a NAND gate when I made the post about it being inverted...sorry it's been awhile!

Crazybillybob

Overclocked

I hate schematics specially with clocks... they iritated the crap outta me i dont kno if my teacher didnt teach me well or what or if im just not getting it.

But if you're expecting to get all the parts at radioshack i find it hard to believe you can get them for 5$ total. My radioshack was selling LED's for atleast a dollar or something outrageous like that their resistors rare outrageous i dont kno. If you have a frys near you check them out they had much better prices. And SORRY if im reporting hte wrong prices all i remember is that it was outrageous when i was looking.

thanks for the help love @ all of u.

o the only shop like radio shack whit in 2 hours of me is dick smiths (* cof * dick smacks * cof *). whats that web site.