Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: TBCS - Super Pi

Default Re: TBCS - Super Pi

I'll show you examples of it running over multiple cores. There is a reason I set it to run on one core, makes it slightly better (running it over 2 cores can be better than one).

For example, when running UT2k4 over 4 cores, I got an average FPS of 3-7FPS. Over 2 cores I got around 105FPS avg, and on one core, I got around 225FPS avg. I can repeat that also if desired.

I'll also mention that I got this computer 2-3 weeks ago, after Intel dropped the Q6600 prices. And the overclock added to the 'value'. Just wait when I get a new HSF!

As for this test being based on Raw MHz..... not quite. Find someone with a Pent D with a higher clock speed than me, they won't beat my time. This test is based on the efficiency of the processor. Performance per clock, also the bandwidth between the CPU and RAM. Also lower timings can yield better times.

I'll show you soon that Vista isn't too bad. It is slower, but only by a few seconds.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

D'Oh

5. dgrmkrp - 4m 21.343s | Athlon XP 1700+ @ 2105MHz | 1GB 402MHz 3-3-3-8 | Vista 32-bit
    I am xp 32, but skinned.. it is updated somewhere, in the tables...
    I can't really help myself so I'm gonna swap the keyboard/mouse/monitor/lan to the X2 pc Let's see what that can do Gonna see what the best settings I can get for the cpu and the memory, separate, can do to the speed.

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

I wasn't sure if it was skinned or not. Thanks for letting us know.

Well running it over two cores my time went to about 3mins 13 secs but i now can't find the screenshot.

Just a note, don't expect results tonight.... I need sleep now...

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Well running it over two cores my time went to about 3mins 13 secs but i now can't find the screenshot.
    That was my point earlier though I worded it to make the opposite point

The extra few seconds is the overhead of splitting the single thread amongst the cores.

In some ways it would be a better test therefore of overall efficiency to insist the app is run over all cores. A poor splitting of the workload will show in the results. This tests the raw power of asingle core of the CPU (including its efficiency) and memory speed/efficiency as I was saying earlier.

Matthew

D'Oh

Well, I'm back.. the tweaking took a few hours, but I found 2 system settings that I like.. Didn't have time to fully test their abilities and I probably won't until I get myself a nice video board. I'm looking now for a cheap quadro board, but I can't find cheap ones that can be delivered all away here.. Plus, I will have the money only next month, which isn't that far... but still..

Back to the pi stuff:

No optimizations, 2GHz, one core.. This is stock, after bios reset and with a new windows xp install

..and the times for the test I did..

now, time to bump speeds up. I tried first the max fsb and I got 310 stable, with 2xHT, DDR2 400 settings and CL5, processor multiplier set to 5x. Then I went up with the DDR clock, then I up-ed the cpu multiplier. I got 2,79GHz, ddr@620, HT@1240MHZ, but if I raised the ddr clock, no boot. Voltages were already set to the maximum I like.

The second optimization run lead me to this:

Why am I such a dunce? I forgot to click the memory tab.. still, it is the same, but the RAS pre-charge is now 6, not 5, and the speed is less than 1GHz, because it gets really hot and unstable for the synchronous DDR800 mode, so I bumped it to the DDR667 divider... This is all because I have no cooling on the RAM and because it is fairly hot in here.. At least I'm overheating

The weird tweaking payed off I think, because the time now is much smaller... down to 2:30 from 3:44 :| vs the 4:21 for the older processor/system.

^^^: the times for all the tests.
    All runs were made on one core, setting the processor affinity in the task manager processes pane.

To end it, this is my table for data comparison

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

nice job.

and now im 3rd

I'm sorry drg, but we can only accept your time of 2m 30.828s.

EDIT: Added a small rule.

D'Oh

Oh, no problem..

(Also, just for the fun of it, I might try this again, with some optimizations on other levels.. Deactivating north-bridge components, using a discrete video adapter.. Stuff like that. Also, I know this RAM can work at 1,2GHZ, so now it isn't of much help to me.. Still, the time got by this type of processor, clocked at this frequency, shows that the core architecture is better .. mm.. and I wanted to be an AMD fan boy Hopefully the k10 is better and compatible with the AM2 socket (not only with AM+).. If it is, then I'll go quad core, peltier and who knows what more )