Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vista lan problem...

D'Oh

Default Vista lan problem...

I wanted to put back my vista rig to do some renderings faster (using the older xp one cause it is quieter and consumes much much less $, as I use it 24/7 now.. music and tv on a bigger screen ), but I got the funny surprise of seeing that I can't connect to the internet anymore.. I use a modem and I just have to set my lan settings (IPs and stuff)to autodetect, DHCP enabled.. In XP it works just great and I get no problems with changing cables (sometimes a modem reset is needed), but Vista refuses to connect.. Googling the problem, it seems there are some cases online (similar yet different) of the on-board lan controller going to "sleep" (as in sleeping on the job) after a few days of normal use...

The thing is it was running perfect till I took it apart (weird, can a PC tell it was dismantled?).. I put it together and BAM, sound isn't working properly and I get the limited connectivity warning.. I restart and the sound works, lan works.. but I can't connect to the internet, even if the lil' icon in vista says so..

Anybody seen this before? I'm downloading lots of drivers on my other rig to try and fix it, but what if it is something wrong with vista? (can't be anything wrong with the hardware.. hopefully..)

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

Default Re: Vista lan problem...

Check the power management tab on the lan controller in the device manager.. make sure it's not set to "allow windows to shutdown this device to save power".

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

D'Oh

10ks
    wait.. .. .. . .

checked.. no solution there.. darn it.. more google-ing to do...

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

D'Oh

Default Heeelp :((

.. well, I tried fixing my problem again.. pesky thing.. what is a brawny lil computer without a working internet connection?

I tried several tricks that have worked on other pcs.. none worked here.. I reordered my music and anime collection and still nothing.. one time in the past the problem fixed itself after a day.. not now

this is what happens... latest drivers from the manufacturer, reset the modem and the adapter several times.. enabled and disabled protocols.. played with power settings.. nothing.. please help.. any network pro? anyone?

I just had this problem with my little server I'm setting up. Also with my current computer. I swapped out mobos on my current computer, hooked it up in my room to my ethernet cable, nothing. Thought it was my mobo not liking the distance so I moved my PC closer. Tried with my Via Epia board yesterday, same thing. Moved it right next to my router with a different cable and it worked fine.

I'm thinking it's either the length of the cable, or the cable itself. I'm 99% sure that's what it is for me, which sucks because I'll need to get another 120ft. cable, or resort to horrible wireless.
    RIP Bucko

D'Oh

I have a 10m (30ft) cable, which came with the modem.. Doesn't work.. I have another same length, 3 times the price of the other, yellow cable, which is my dorm room cable... I had 30megs plus transfer rate with that (hard drive limited by an older hdd I was sending data to).. Also, the modem can use a usb connection (1.5m cable).. all these to no avail.. I even tried using the same MAC address on both adapters so that the modem would be fooled.. It would be a shame to let that PC collect dust just because of this (

yet, I will try again, cause I'm desperate I sure hope it is from the cable, but it used to work..

Anodized

Default Re: Heeelp :((

Quote Originally Posted by dgrmkrp View Post
    .. well, I tried fixing my problem again.. pesky thing.. what is a brawny lil computer without a working internet connection?

I tried several tricks that have worked on other pcs.. none worked here.. I reordered my music and anime collection and still nothing.. one time in the past the problem fixed itself after a day.. not now

this is what happens... latest drivers from the manufacturer, reset the modem and the adapter several times.. enabled and disabled protocols.. played with power settings.. nothing.. please help.. any network pro? anyone?

Hey i get this sort of problem on my vista only that i use a home wireless connection. I have 4 computers at home. 3 are windows xp and 1(laptop) is windows Vista. Sometimes it connects good but sometimes it doesnt. When it doesnt connect it says conected with limiteed accces(which means i cant surf the web). My wirelles connnection a wep password, even thought i put the right password, it doesnt let me its still say the same thing. Its not my wireless router because when it doesnt work on my laptop, It always works my xp computer. Then the naxt day sometimes it works some time in 2 days.
    What can the problem be?

have you made sure that none of the ip addresses are confilcting?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

D'Oh

@calumc: Well, as I am connected with a DHCP server that does all the configs for me, and against my wishes... I don't have any settings at all... So, the problem can't be me

I did check with the ISP and it turns out it is their fault.. and their equipment's. But I had to lose the vista altogether, because apparently they are upgrading to fiber and have changed some stuff.. So, there is no way I can use vista with the lan activated.. And not being able to check on tbcs hourly is too much for me I backed up my info and formatted the c: partition.. now, I have a clean state and no wish to re-install it, although I have the vista dvd on my bed board.. well, the problems I have with 3ds there where actually the last nail in the coffin: I can run only in software mode and after a while the performance suffers so much, I can only render pre-made scenes...

As far as I am concerned, both microsoft and the ISP failed and disappointed me...

BUT if any one ever has issues with vista... use a router.. that's what "they" told me, between the modem and the actual computers.. which is kinda stupid and redundant (plus what cookies&cream said >> he has a router and vista has problems, not the hardware), because the modem I have cost a bit and has management possibilities for 32 PCs.. 1 on USB and through hubs 31 more.. The hi tech solution they gave me was to unplug the modem for 2 minutes each time I do anything with my computers.. The modem can't take the strain of connecting to the dhcp server again and again, you know.. pff.. so, F it.. Can't wait to get back to the campus dorms.. they have a nice and sturdy wired and wireless network, with configs and all.. no dhcp, no signal loss, mac/ip/host name secured... It isn't impossible to hack , but gives us "food" 24/7.. I miss that..

Vista has a few quirks, I've found disabling IPv6 (because I don't need it) can help sometimes.

btw, I know you've uninstalled it, but just wondering if you tried the above. Also what firewall were you using?
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!