Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xubuntu Cd question

Official Wallabies Supporter Pointy_Stick's Avatar

Default Xubuntu Cd question

I recently just installed Xubuntu 7.04 on my computer, but I don't think it recognises my CD drive. I can put any CD I like in but nothing appears in the File Manger as described.

Taken from the Xubuntu Desktop Guide
    After inserting a CD into your CD Drive, you will see a new shortcut in the left pane of the File Manager, representing the CD
    Can anyone help me with this?

Also, is it absolutely necessary to have an internet connection to install new programs? And how exactly do I go about it? Is it as easy as typing the "sudo apt-get install" code?

My computer specs are:
    533 Mhz Celeron
    128 mb ram
    onboard video/audio
    10 gb hdd
    Manufacturers Page

Thank you

Pointy_Stick
    http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3152/siguf0.jpg

Default Re: Xubuntu Cd question

Quote Originally Posted by Pointy_Stick View Post
    Also, is it absolutely necessary to have an internet connection to install new programs?
    Whilst it's not absolutely necessary to have an internet connection, where are you going to get the new programs from otherwise?

And how exactly do I go about it? Is it as easy as typing the "sudo apt-get install" code?
    Basically, yes. Although there are graphical tools available to make life easier if you don't know the exact name of the application you want to install.

e.g. if you want to install foo, you might type:
    sudo apt-get install foo
    but if it's foo_1.0.0.1 on the server, you'll need to type
    sudo apt-get install foo_1.0.0.1

Can't help with the CD problem just now, but somebody will be along shortly with the answer, or you could try the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by aintnothang View Post
    Think of a way to simulate a real bullet hole, like shooting it.

Quote Originally Posted by xmastree View Post
    Whilst it's not absolutely necessary to have an internet connection, where are you going to get the new programs from otherwise?
    The family computer has an internet connection, just not the Ubuntu one, so I can get the programs there and burn them to a disc. Any idea where to from there? Just pop it in the CD drive and open it up, assuming I can get it to co-operate? I'll also scour those forums for similar topics.

Thanks for your help

Well that's an option, but it can be tiresome. If you download an application then try to install it you might need some other files before it will work. These are called dependencies, and can cause a lot of heartache...
    If you're familiar with some Windows apps requiring certain dlls, then you know what I mean.
    Using apt-get will automagically download these as well, if you need them. Doing it manually and the installation will fail. It will tell you what you need, so you can go back and download the missing files and try again, but it's a PITA really.

Much better (IMO) would be to run a temporary cable to whatever provides the internet connection for the family's computer and use that. Then remove it afterwards.

If you do want to look for downloadable programs, look for ones which provide a .deb package. This is the 'installer' which has been prepared for that version of linux.

.deb packages, eh I'll have a look at those. And temporarily running out a cable isn't really an option at the moment, as the linux computer doesn't have a network card. Looks like I'll have to fork out a whole $15 bucks for one tomorrow, on the topic of which, anything special I might have to do to get it to work?

Xubuntu doesn't natively have desktop icons installed. At all. Nothing will show up on you desktop when it's there. The only way to see what's actually on your desktop is open Thunar and look at the desktop. You need to install icons for it to show up.

Also, it's really, REALLY worth getting your PC hooked up to the net. You'll have a hell of a time installing packages from burned CDs just like xmastree said.

If you're getting a wired network card, you shouldn't have any trouble. And actually, with the release of 7.04, I think most wireless is now supported too.
    RIP Bucko

What's the family computer on? If wireless is an option then you could buy a wireless NIC for it. I have a CNet CWP854 which works just fine.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PCI-wireless-8...QQcmdZViewItem

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    Xubuntu doesn't natively have desktop icons installed. At all.
    Actually, I think mine did have icons on the desktop straight from installation.
    Is this what you mean by the desktop?
    http://www.xubuntu.org/files/edgy1.jpeg
    Because my desktop had icons which said "File System", "Floppy", "Trash" and "Home".

But even in Thunar (this thing on the right, right?) the CD drive does not show up. Any ideas?

As for the network card, will I just be able to slot it in and away it goes? At least that's just the way your post reads to me.

@xmastree: the family computer is on a wired modem, this one actually

Thank you both for your help. If I can, +rep to both of you

Quote Originally Posted by Pointy_Stick View Post
    But even in Thunar (this thing on the right, right?) the CD drive does not show up. Any ideas?
    go to 'File System' and look in either mnt or media for the CD.

As for the network card, will I just be able to slot it in and away it goes? At least that's just the way your post reads to me.
    Should be able to, yes. None of this driver nonsense.
    Assuming your modem has a DHCP server (it will have) then you might even see the thing connect to the net and check the time before the desktop is anywhere near loading.

Nope. In "mnt" there's nothing and in "media" there are four folders: "cdrom", "cdrom0", floppy" and "floppy0", all of which are completely empty. The discs I'm using for testing are a bunch of straight data cd's and a store bought copy of Rage Against the Machine's debut album, and when I put a disc in I do not here it spin up at all.

Also not sure if this is connected but when I try to eject the disc it takes a long time to do it and I end up hitting the eject button for a good 10 seconds.