Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Xubuntu Cd question

Official Wallabies Supporter Pointy_Stick's Avatar

Default Re: Xubuntu Cd question

When I tried that, it told me "only root can do that". So I tried the line again, this time with "sudo" in front of it. Sure enough, it asked for my password, which I entered and then gave me the message: "mount: mount point mnt/cdrom0 does not exist". Oh well.

I think I'm just going to reinstall Windows (it was meant to be dual boot to begin with, but something stuffed up). At least the CD drive works in Windows. But I haven't given up on Linux entirely, it's just something for another place, another time.

Thank you for all your effort, and once I've spread it round some, you WILL recieve +rep.

Pointy_Stick
    http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3152/siguf0.jpg

I noticed you had "mount/cdrom0". You need that first "/" in front of mnt or it won't work. I'm not sure if you just didn't type it in here, but you'll get that error if it isn't there. It should be "sudo mount -t iso9600 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom0". I'm really confused why it isn't working though. I've never had this problem with Xubuntu... :thinks: This is version 7.04, right? If not, do "sudo apt-get update" and then "apt-get upgrade". It should get you to version 7.04. That might fix it.
    RIP Bucko

Official Wallabies Supporter Pointy_Stick's Avatar

I'm 99% sure I had that "/" in front of "mnt/cdrom0", but I'll try it again to be sure. If it doesn't work I'll just have to admit defeat and try it again another time on another machine. I might even have a look at Damn Small Linux alternate install (liveCD install of that freezes on me) or Mepis, which was recommended on another tech forum I posed this question to. Any experience with that? And it is the latest version of Xubuntu I've got, 7.04. Thanks though anyway for your assistance.

Pointy_Stick
    http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3152/siguf0.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Pointy_Stick View Post
    : "mount: mount point mnt/cdrom0 does not exist".
    does that directory exist? It should be there, but if not you may need to sudo mkdir /mnt/cdrom0

and don't forget that leading /

Quote Originally Posted by aintnothang View Post
    Think of a way to simulate a real bullet hole, like shooting it.

If you ditch Xubuntu, give Fedora a shot. It's what I'm currently running (I've had (X)Ubuntu, Gentoo, and Fedora all on here though) and it's really nice. Download the Fedora 7 LiveSpin and try it out. You won't regret it.
    RIP Bucko

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    If you ditch Xubuntu, give Fedora a shot. It's what I'm currently running (I've had (X)Ubuntu, Gentoo, and Fedora all on here though) and it's really nice. Download the Fedora 7 LiveSpin and try it out. You won't regret it.
    I'll second that. My server is running Fedora 7.

im on linux mint and if you are new to linux id recommend it, ive gone straight to it from windows without any problems whatsoever. and it will automatically mount any cd, hdd or removeable drive
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

I'd also like to point out Sabayon linux, and give another vote for Ubuntu.

If you are feeling brave you can try DSL (Damn Small Linux), but it's not nearly as friendly (or pretty) as the other two. Its just damn small.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro