Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Xubuntu Cd question

Default Re: Xubuntu Cd question

There shouldn't be anything in /mnt, unless you have other partitions and had them mount to a directory in the /mnt folder. If the disks are all good (and I imagine a store-bought CD would be) then it's either a bad drive or something very strange in Xubuntu. Have you tried the drive in other machines? Well, I guess it would work if you installed with it... Hm...

Actually, thinking about it a bit, you may need to add it to the fstab. It might not be mounted at all, in which case it won't do anything. Can you do "mousepad /etc/fstab" and post what it says in there? That might be the problem.

And yes, you can rep people at any time, they just don't count until you have 10 posts or more. For a full explanation, there is a thread in the TBCS Handbook forum. I think you -rep'ed me though LOL
    RIP Bucko

Official Wallabies Supporter Pointy_Stick's Avatar

I don't know what "mousepad /etc/fstab" might be, but her is the contents of the "/etc/fstab/" found in file manager. I have no way have getting a screenshot so I wrote it out and did it in MSPaint so please excuse any mistakes in spacing.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3152/siguf0.jpg

mousepad is the Notepad of Xubuntu. Running "mousepad" and then a filename will open the file in mousepad. When you clicked on fstab in the /etc folder, it probably opened it in mousepad for you.

But it looks like you have an entry for a CD drive (you can see the line that says /media/cdrom0). That means that the contents of the CD would reside in the /media/cdrom0 folder. The entire line containing the CD entry is "/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9600,user,noauto 0 0". All I want you to try changing now is the "/dev/scd0" part. Change scd0 to cdrom. Then, run "sudo mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom0", enter your password, and see what happens.

Edit: To change the entry, run "sudo mousepad /etc/fstab".
    RIP Bucko

Noob question: Where do I type this "sudo" stuff. I opened terminal under accessories in applications and it took me to a black screen with some white writing and then back to the logon screen like I had just started

After installing a CD try the command; " mount /media/cdrom0 " (minus the quotes of course).

You will have to open up a shell to type this, and it should just show a window with white on black text. Once that is done, type "mount" (again minus the quotes) and it will spit out all partitions mounted.
    Let us know...
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

It is the terminal you're looking for (also known as command line). You'll see something like "username@systemname: " and that's where you type everything.
    RIP Bucko

Except my terminal doesn't open, instead it logs me out and I have to log back in. Here is a link to the solution I'm trying now (3rd post from bottom)

If that doesn't work, you could always use xterm instead of xfce-terminal. Make a shortcut on your menu as an application, and then have it run "xterm" in the terminal. It will open xterm instead of xfce-terminal then.
    RIP Bucko

Yeah I've been using xterm by opening /usr/bin/xterm manually and that seems to be working. I'm just going to try what you and Airbozo suggested again and post results. What I can tell you right now is that both of your solutions don't seem to work. Details in a minute.

Results

Did as you suggested Maleficus and changed "scd0" to "cdrom" in fstab using xterm. The entered "sudo mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom0" and got

mount:block device /dev/cdrom is write protected, mounting read-only
    mount:you must specify the file system type
    If I try Airbozo's advice of "mount /media/cdrom0", I get

mount:block device /dev/cdrom is write protected, mounting read-only
    mount:wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
    missing codepage or other error
    In some cases useful info is found in sys log-try dmesg | tail or so
    Does this help at all? And thanks again for your continued help.

Hmmm.... Try this: "mount -t iso9600 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom0".
    RIP Bucko