Page 1 of 42 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Motorized Madness!

Default Project: Motorized Madness!

As many of you know, I just finished my Water Cooled Turbine Project. I have been designing a case to mount it to. Well the time has come to start this project. I am calling it "Motorized Madness". Simply put, there will be several panels on the case that will be motorized to reveal objects, fans, controls etc. Some panels will be hidden, and some will be obvious.

The most electronically challenging part of this mod will be to integrate all the motorization with a servo controller and have them automatically open on windows start and close on windows shutdown. I have already placed orders for some of the equipment I will be using such as a clear acrylic case,

I have begun the 3d model sketch to help layout objects and how everything is going to work. here are some screen shots.

Overall case with turbine mounted on top. Note, all doors and panels are in closed position.

Here is the case with the doors in the open position. you will notice there is a large round hole on the side of the case. That is actually a window that opens up to the case.

Here we see the round case window, a small temperature monitor that gets revealed by a panel that slides up, the front intake fan that is covered by 3 panes that rotate. A flip down accesory panel for the fan controller and switches, and the stealthed dvd tray.

Here are some other shots:

On the top of the front panel there is a door that hinges upward (Inside) that opens the channel for the air to the dual 120mm radiator.

The entire case is going to be covered in panels similar to the Turbine, however I won't have to run el wire as I did on the turbine because of the clear case. there will be cold cathode lights on the inside that will shine thru the slots and gaps in the panel that I build. This way I can have the openengs go around corners and have much more interesting patterns. In fact, most of the clear case will be covered. I will airbrush and paint the case similar to the turbine as well. Obviously more kit bashing and the industrial look is in order.

The round opening window will prove to be the most mechanically challenging portion of this project as I cannot find this item anywhere, I've only seen it in movies, so I wll need to build it from scratch.

Hope everyone likes my design, If you have any suggestions or ideas to make it better, please let me know.

Default Re: Project: Motorized Madness!

I'm REALLY looking forward to this! The turbine was awesome, and if you can make all those panels and servos work, this will kick serious booty.

^ Soon to be one. Computer-Geek's Avatar

subscribed* I cant wait to see how you transform the case into what you want.
    - Computer-Geek

I forgot to mention, I also ordered a dual 120 mm Danger Den Black Ice Extreme II radiator.

http://www.dangerden.com/store/produ...2&cat=5&page=1

I figured I'd need this to cool my video card.

here is the servor contoller I am looking at getting.
    http://www.lynxmotion.com/Product.as...&CategoryID=52
    I'll have to wait untill payday to order it. but it has the ability to control up to 32 servos, with full postition and speed control. Programming it could be PITA though.

Fine renders, the mod best look just as good Check Food Lovers Specials and Game Specials.
    +rep
    Last edited by DaveW; 11-21-2020 at 07:53 PM.

D'Oh

Well, this be another one that I add to my subscriptions +rep too

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

i thought your turbine mod was the coolest thing ever. AND NOW YOUR MAKING A COMPUTER TO MAKE....

<faints>...</faints>

That circular opening on the side is killer.. like the iris in a lens. Might be a p.i.t.a. to make, but will be super cool to see.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

As for any suggestions or ideas i think you have enough of your own the plan looks great
    Best of luck, will be watching this especially after the turbine
    A bird can fly, but a fly can't bird

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    That circular opening on the side is killer.. like the iris in a lens. Might be a p.i.t.a. to make, but will be super cool to see.
    Thanks for the term IRIS. I was trying to come up with what to call it, and you hit it on the head! +Rep to you.

here is a screenshot of the cad file I desinged to make it work

I'm going to make the framwork out of plastic sheet and the iris parts themselves will be laser cut out of thin aluminum. I think I'm going to add more blades than the 14 I designed. By addign more, I can make them thinner and therefore get a larger diameter opening without making the frame larger.