Page 14 of 42 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Motorized Madness!

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Default Re: Project: Motorized Madness!

Looks crazy complicated. Keep going. + rep to ya!

I have some good news and some bad news.

First the good news. here is an update on the progress.

Here is what I got in the mail yesterday. 2 turbine fans to replace the thermaltake fans in the turbine mod. and the Water temperature monitor.

I replaced the fans in the Turbine Mod. I think the fins really make it look more like a turbine.

Next are the electronics that I'm going to mount in the side motorized panel.
    It consits of a SD Media card reader, USB ports and reset switch and the Temperature Monitor.

So I started to layout the placement on the panel.

then I cut the holes.

I then glued the media card reader and added some gussets for support to the back side.

Then I cut the switch board that came with the case kit to seperate the usb ports.

and I mounted them in the panel.

here is the back side.

next I de-soldered one of the reset switches.

and mounted it in the panel.

Here it is will everything so far.

and I reinstalled it back in the case.

I stil lhave to install a HDD light and some more status monitors like maybe the dvd activity light and others. -Not sure about the design of those yet.

The last small thing I did was mount one of the nose caps that came with the turbine fans onto a thermaltake fan that will become the intake fan.

Now for the bad news. The IRIS is not going to happen. Yesterday my Friend and I worked on getting the parts laser cut. Basically the machine is only a Laser etcher, not a cutter. Although it will cut through material, the time it would take and the number of passes would basically talk way too long.

there were 4 sheets total that needed to be cut. 2 sheets were .030 thick and 2 were .100 thick. We started with the .030 sheet. and after 20 minutes, it was only 1/4 of the way through the entire sheet. but that was just about 1/4 through the thickness as well. So if you run the numbers thats 80 minutes per pass X 4 passes = over 5 hours for 1 sheet. Now the .100 sheet is over 3 times as thick and would take all day to cut. so I'd be looking at around 3 days total of cutting. -keep in mind you can't tell it to run multiple passes, you have to tell it to send each pass after its done. I can't tell it to keep running all night long, and this is located at a High school on the other side of town for me. -So basically due to time restraints. I can't get the pieces cut.

Also, the piece it did etch. I noticed that the edges wern't smooth either. they were somewhat "Melted" from the laser. so I would have to sand everything down and I'd be back to where I started.

So my here are my 2 options. I can try and rebuild it from scratch and hope it works again using some other method of aligning the holes, or I can come up with a different idea to have a motorized cover over a window in my case that will still be cool, but not an Iris.

What do you guys think I should do?

I really dont know what else to say,exept ZOMFG
    this is surely one of the best modds i ever seen in my life,and i've seen a lot of them.
    I've tried to give you +rep again,but i cant to do that atm.

I subscribed to this thread. BigJohnson's Avatar

Hmm. What about doors that would swing out of the way. Think Lady bug wings. 2 half circles, rotating out of the way. Or you could do 4. And you could make them overlap and shave as necessary.
    I also would give rep, as the story goes.

D'Oh

hmm... you should try to have the iris made in a different way, manually.. the link few pages back about the iris principle and possible mechanisms was cool.... And maybe you could make the iris in 2 layers.. use a very thin window between and have the blades alternating.. when the iris is closed, it should overlap so no light comes in/out.. when it is opened, it is opened. The thin window would allow this. Could look interesting.. I didn't quite manage to make a working 3d model of an iris, so I can't really show what I mean.. Instead of having half an iris on each plane, you would have alternating blades.. it would have a unique look. And you could do an etch to match..

Oh, and the panel looks awesome

EDIT: if all fails, don't lose the iris.. try having lots of patience and do it the laser way. slowly.... . ..

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

or ask b417, he got many mills at his modding station, maybe he could mill you something..for money or reps

small update. I got some more parts in the mail today. -power switch, sleeving kit, some elbow fittings, some servo extensions and some more hardware (nuts and washers).

I also picked up some clear printer sheets for making the button and switch iluminated labels.

FUN-FUN!

How about another laser cutter?

http://www.bclaserworks.com/cutting.html

I've used these folks in the past to cut 1/8" & 1/4" plexi. He does good work but can be difficult to get a hold of sometimes.

The other direction that you may consider is an iris valve or a variant of a scissor valve with 2 scissor joints mounted at 180 degree to one another.

Ok, here is another update.

I worked on some of the labeling for the parts. I started with the fan controller. So I made a built a channel to enclose the leds.

Then I made the lables. Basically these are laser printed onto clear printer sheets with sticky backing. then I stuck them to a translucent piece of plastic.

here it is mounted in the panel.

and here it is lit up. I only connected 1 fan but you should get the idea.

and here it is back in the case.

Next I turned my attention to the Hard drive activity light.

This time I just cut an opening in the panel and installed the label behind it.

To illuminate it, I made a box with a hole in the back for an led.

Then I just glued it behind the panel.

While I was at it, I sleeved the led for the HDD.

Lastly, I worked on the front switch panel.

Using the same methods as before. here it is.

The center switch is the dvd eject button. I still have to install the other switches as soon as I take them out of my current case.

Later,

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Jesus man, looks fantastic. Your attention to detail is remarkable. Keep up the good work.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08