Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 232829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Motorized Madness!

Default Re: Project: Motorized Madness!

You wouldn't need much torque to turn those gears so you could feed tiny power to a little motor. Or, butcher a fan...

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Woztron View Post
    Or, butcher a fan...
    That's what I was thinking, you could 5V or even 3V a fan if possible. You would have to recess the fan and remove the blades and attach a gear. If you used metal gears that would slow the fan down even more. You could even do it with only 1 fan, just link the cogs together, this would also help with slowing the fan down.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

wow, that came out wickedly awesomely sick!

+rep on a job WELL done.

my only criticism would be the res/turbine seems a shade to big for the case. but it's still really sick none the less, great work as always
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

I hate to say this because I see how much work you have put into this and it really is a fantastic case mod...but the paintjob just doesn't look right to me. I'm no expert and I certainly don't want to discourage you, but the paintjob with the matching top and bottom just makes the whole setup look muttled. The kit bashing is great, the design and engineering are awesome, and I think the logo is damn sexy but the paintseems to be pulling my attention. I also don't know how well that logo (sexy as it is) goes with the other colors. With all of that industial hardware you have fixed on there, I think it would look better if you painted the whole thing with several coats of primer and then a mid-dark, matte grey. Then spray over that with a gloss black and using a rag or something brush the surface coat off of the more superficial surfaces off while still wet. I dunno, just my opinion and it's your project which is turning out great anyway. My last bit of advise would be to try ositioning he turbine further back and forward to see if it looks better than square on top.

Loving what you have going here and can't wait for the vids!

Jon
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Agreeing with jdbnsn. All the mechanics are great and I love all your work, but the paint kind of let me a little bit down. (Not that I could make it better myself though. )

Maybe a little bit more like this?
    http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/p...ension-(1).jpg

And some scratches like this?
    http://www.ryanhambysblog.com/wp-con.../xboxcase1.bmp

Just my thoughts. Keep up the great work!
    Jes, Im a bloodi nowegian wit aløt of f**ked up gramar.
    (Sorry for all my mispelling. )
    My latest mod: Media Chair

I really appreciate your constructive critisim. I agree that its is starting to get a little overwelming all being the same. to be honest, I'm not sure where I"m going with the paint scheme. I wanted that old industrial rustic, weathered look like an old machine that comes to life. I'm really not that good of a painter, infact this is the most detaild paint I've ever done on anything. Its easy to do the weathering and dry brushing, so I figured why not.

again, I appreciate your comments! Sorry I haven't got an update for you guys, I've been working my tail off to meet some VERY! tight deadlines for a project. And its going to be that way till the end of the year. I've been putting in at least 20 hours of overtime a week, so when I get home, I just want to eat and sleep. Its hard to get motivated or find time to work on it.

Thanks,

I think most of us are like that this time of year. I've squeezed a little time in on my mod but i haven't managed to got the worklog started..

Excellent mod!

One question - and I may have missed this somewhere in here - what thickness of styrene are you using? Looks way thicker than anything I've seen at the store.

this is the most detaild paint I've ever done on anything
    And for a first time, you did a hell of a job. If you want to refine the look a little, you should hit Crimson up for some tips (or as he would probably say..."yah, buy my book").

-Jon
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Quote Originally Posted by The_Crippler View Post
    Excellent mod!

One question - and I may have missed this somewhere in here - what thickness of styrene are you using? Looks way thicker than anything I've seen at the store.
    Thanks, I used different thicknesses throughout the project. They ranged from .02 to .125 inches thick.

I got the sheets at a local hobby town.

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    And for a first time, you did a hell of a job. If you want to refine the look a little, you should hit Crimson up for some tips (or as he would probably say..."yah, buy my book").

-Jon
    Yeah, I was considering buying his book, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.
    I'm sure there are many things that can be learned from his wealth of knowledge!
    Maybe Santa will get me a copy for Christmas!!!!

edit: Hey I just noticed that I now have 6 Light green bars. Thanks everyone!!!!