Thread: Vista were my ram go?

Overclocked

Default Vista were my ram go?

Ok i just installed 4 gigs i have an asus p5b

vista home preium 64bit but vista only sees 3 gigs.. and the bois 4 whats going on i hate you vista...

Overclocked

Default Re: Vista were my ram go?

Ok in order for the bois to see the extra 1 gig so its 4 i have to goto chip set and enable pci overlap now the problem with that is once i restart my computer my pci network card will no longer work all i want to do is use my ram and beable to get online which i cant do unless i want no intrnet as i have to use a wireless network card which sucks because all the usb ones i have wont work with vista..

how bout not messing with PCI and check ya page file.... if there is a 1Gb page file kill it.... u dont need it with 4Gbs of ram.
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.

Case Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by CHIMAERA View Post
    how bout not messing with PCI and check ya page file.... if there is a 1Gb page file kill it.... u dont need it with 4Gbs of ram.
    Maybe the heat is getting to me. A/C broke at my house and I'm sweating just by typing on my laptop... But isn't the page file created from space on the hard drive? The size of the page file has nothing to do with taking up RAM.

EDIT:
    Stupid question. Did you buy the OEM or retail version of Vista Home Premium 64-bit?

If you've installed Vista 32-bit, I could understand why. But since you have 64 bit, this is a little strange.... I'll look into it for you.

EDIT: Found this so far:

There maybe a 'remap' feature in the BIOS which fixes this problem:
    http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f76/up...es-3gb-152890/
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Fresh Paint

HaHa49 I had a the same problem running Vista Ultimate X86 on an Intel chip. I solved it by enabling PAE mode.
    To enable PAE mode, you have to add PAE to the boot entry in the BCD file. Open an elevated command prompt. Type BCDEDIT /SET PAE ForceEnable.
    To open an elevated command prompt you click Start , click All Programs , click Accessories , right-click Command Prompt , and then click Run as administrator.
    You might try this. it worked for me.
    NZXT Lexa~EVGA LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i A-1~Mushkin 650w Dual Rail~Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700@3.4GHZ~CoolIT Eliminator~Mushkin 4GB (4 x 1GB) DDR2 PC2 6400~4X Samsung SpinPoint T 500GB~EVGA GeForce 8800GTX 768MB~ Philips 20X DVD±R~Samsung 21.6" DVI Widescreen LCD~Logitech DiNovo Bluetooth Desktop
    *no animated sig allowed! -Bucko*

He's running 64-bit, not 32-bit.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Btw The Wicked, you might want to deanimate your sig... just wanna let you know that's not allowed around here. :p

EDIT: ...or just let the staff do it for you, lol.

dude.... vista isnt still rly based on XP u could have 4Gbs of ram or page file total....
    if ya had 4 Gbs of ram... and a 1Gb page file...it would only show up as 3Gbs of ram... cuz 4 Gb was the total limit......... this is what i know so far... i hate vista.... and u should jus reffer to my vista instructions..
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by CHIMAERA View Post
    i dont need 4 gigs but for 200 bucks.. why not.. i fixed it i just pulled wireless card out and ran a gigabyte router and cable to my room

i tried moveing the card but once the card installed and i reboted it wouldnt boot agian.. dam bugs.. i blame the os.. when the wirless card is installed with 4 gigs of ram it wont boot if i uninstall it and then reinstall it.. it works but when i restart back at square 1.. so i just said screw it ran a cable to my room and put a gigbyte router in way faster and alot stabler..