Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Applying thermal paste & dual-core question

Default Re: Applying thermal paste & dual-core question

Quote Originally Posted by dgrmkrp View Post
    ..which means that if they do have a separate temperature, something is weird.. The cores are very close to each other and in one silicone die.. They should have the same temperature because heat creates a gradient, which would then tend to be equalized by the heat dissipating parts.. Only if there are some really hot "hot spots" on the chips would this weird behavior be explained... or.. I don't know
    The rest of what you say may be correct but my researches indicated it is absolutely normal to have different temperatures in the two cores of an AMD chip. I think it is something to do with either the Chip's architecture or how Windows loads the chips with O/S tasks.

D'Oh

Well.. it doesn't really bother me.. I will super cool them anyway, so a slight difference isn't that important.. Anyways, if the CPU is loaded, the temps get the same (50-60ish), right? That's what we have to fight

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

Absolutely ... under load the two temps tend to get closer. It's when idling that the difference shows and that by definition is at lower temps and less of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by dgrmkrp View Post
    Well.. it doesn't really bother me.. I will super cool them anyway, so a slight difference isn't that important.. Anyways, if the CPU is loaded, the temps get the same (50-60ish), right? That's what we have to fight

sorry for the bad info, i didn't realise they have redesigned them,the orgional cps were ontop of them.

but in thory then, windows will always us the first core rather than the second

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!